Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch problem? or what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Clutch problem? or what?

I got the original 3-piece alu Kyosho clutch mounted with 1.0 springs and it only has 1 hours driving total.

Went to the track today for some practice and first 10 min was ok taking it easy warming up then started pushing and all of a sudden the car gets a major bog coming out of a turn with lots of smoke trailing like it was really fat and as long as I kept the throttle pinned it bogged.
I let of and blipped it a couple of times and the response was as usual fast and correct. Kept on driving and several turns later it bogged really heavy again when I hit the throttle and I immediatly let off and then got on the gas again and it was normal.

Stopped the car and took of the cb (it looked a little blueish) and the alushoes have a black surface on them, is this normal? Have only used carbon before so I donīt know what they should look like. Bearings and cb looks fine and the springs are seated ok.

Checked the car out and everything looks fine. No visible leaks on the motor anywhere and the tubes and tank also looks nice.

Any ideas??????????

Thanks
Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

May be to rich on the top and to lean on the bottom - sounds like it getting flooded when you are on the throttle and clearing out when you blip it
Old 06-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by token
May be to rich on the top and to lean on the bottom - sounds like it getting flooded when you are on the throttle and clearing out when you blip it
Thanks for the answer but I got the symptoms at such different parts on the track that I donīt think itīs a tuning issue. But maybe your right.

The weather today and last time I was at the track was almost identical and it really performed then.
If it is like you say wouldnīt it bog everytime I use full throttle a longer period like down the straights?

This was more like a very instant bog and it did seem to start in the lower rpmīs and didnīt stop until I let of the throttle and went back on throttle again. Then it would be ok for a while even during some straights.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

that does sound like a lean bog. richen your bottom end a half turn then go from here
Old 06-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by coviello
that does sound like a lean bog. richen your bottom end a half turn then go from here
Yeah I thought about it and both you and Token might be right, Iīll start over and tune it again.

One thing I donīt get is why it had a thick trail of smoke when it bogged?
Is it first a lean bottom that bogs and then goes over in a fat state?
Never had this problem with tuning before so I need to understand whatīs happening.

Is the black surface on the shoes ok, looks like some glazing, should I sand them a little bit?

Thanks guys for helping...

Last edited by harleyrules; 06-25-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

dont do anything with your clutch shoes just yet. and what your saying about why there was a great trail of smoke is from your top end being to rich and your bottom being too lean. get it tuned first then we will talk clutch
Old 06-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

dont do anything with your clutch shoes just yet. and what your saying about why there was a great trail of smoke is from your top end being to rich and your bottom being too lean. get it tuned first then we will talk clutch
OK Sir, your wish is my command

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

have you checked for air leaks? I was having a horrible time getting my buggy to run last week, not really the same issue but it wouldnt idle at all. As long as i was on the gas it would run but the top end it would jsut bog down. Any way I had a leak around the carb pinch bolt.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Madbrad
have you checked for air leaks? I was having a horrible time getting my buggy to run last week, not really the same issue but it wouldnt idle at all. As long as i was on the gas it would run but the top end it would jsut bog down. Any way I had a leak around the carb pinch bolt.
Have checked the tubes and just took a quick look at the carb but you just got me wondering so Iīll go out in the garage later and doublecheck cause I adjusted the carbangle yesterday.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Adept

is it the same clutch bell you ran with the carbon shoes?

the glazing is probably from the carbon residue on the inside of the clutch bell.

could also results in slipping with the alum shoes. i always run a new clutch bell if swapping between alum/carbon shoes.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had this problem while using too soft/worn out clutch springs on my 808. It was engaging too soon, not letting the engine clear out, and I'd load up and either blubber around or flame out. I put in new, harder springs and I haven't had that problem since.

I'd say maybe your springs are worn if that just started happening. Try new ones and see if it works. Dress your clutch, file the shoes and take a dremel with a drum to the inside of the bell.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by pantera nitro
is it the same clutch bell you ran with the carbon shoes?

the glazing is probably from the carbon residue on the inside of the clutch bell.

could also results in slipping with the alum shoes. i always run a new clutch bell if swapping between alum/carbon shoes.
No it was a brand new cb, springs and shoes and has a total of 1 hour now.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If the engine only has a gallon or so on it, it could just be that you reached the breakin point. Hence re-tune.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

im assuming that this motor we are talking about is a v-spec? just so i can get a better idea of what the problem your having is?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

im assuming that this motor we are talking about is a v-spec? just so i can get a better idea of what the problem your having is?
Yes itīs a V-Spec. Have almost run 2 gallons now and was running great.

Iīm gonna check for leaks around the carb again cause thatīs the only alteration I made between trainingdays besides changing the clutch.

Thanks.