Wiki Posts
Search

Next step to much or ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Next step to much or ok?

I bought a Slash 4x4 Ultimate a week ago and went to the track and my car was put to shame by other 1/10 short course trucks, but I still had a blast, I knew before going to the track about the changes needed (parts on the way) Tires, springs, center diff install but I wanted to go try it out.
This Slash 4x4 was bought to test the waters in RC cars so to speak, and I loved it, I want to get more into it, looking at changing the Slash 4x4 for a Team Associated SC10 and also getting into the higher end (Kyosho Inferno MP9 TKI2 Competition 1/8 Off Road Buggy).

I use to own two rustlers that I never did anything with other then beat it to hell so my RC car experience is low while my RC plane and Helicopter experience is much different flying for the last 6 years.

Is it to soon for the 1/8 Buggy?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ToxicBanana
I bought a Slash 4x4 Ultimate a week ago and went to the track and my car was put to shame by other 1/10 short course trucks, but I still had a blast, I knew before going to the track about the changes needed (parts on the way) Tires, springs, center diff install but I wanted to go try it out.
This Slash 4x4 was bought to test the waters in RC cars so to speak, and I loved it, I want to get more into it, looking at changing the Slash 4x4 for a Team Associated SC10 and also getting into the higher end (Kyosho Inferno MP9 TKI2 Competition 1/8 Off Road Buggy).

I use to own two rustlers that I never did anything with other then beat it to hell so my RC car experience is low while my RC plane and Helicopter experience is much different flying for the last 6 years.

Is it to soon for the 1/8 Buggy?
No, but you did choose the most expensive buggy on the planet.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

It's never too early to make a move to 1/8th. There are plenty of people that start off racing buggies and truggies.
Originally Posted by nitroexpress
you did choose the most expensive buggy on the planet.
Which doesn't necessarily translate to wins.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Tech Adept

I don't know RC cars, I do know helicopters and my favorite helicopter hands down is from Hirobo the quality of that helicopter cannot be beat that is my sole reason for picking that buggy.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

If you can help it stick with SC for a few months and see if you are still into it... 1/8th scale is verrrrry expensive in comparison to 1/10th scale. Also if you are going the nitro route then that opens a whole extra can of worms (you can go 1/8th scale electric but you may have trouble finding competition as most guys run nitro)

Personally in your shoes I would make the switch to one of the top tier SC trucks like the Losi SCTE or the Hobao or the Durango (whatever the other racers at your track run for setup advice) Traxxas is fun but they arent really competitive and by the time you make one on par with the Hobao or Losi you will have easily spent 2x as much...

If you really must get your hands on a 1/8th scale buggy get the Losi 8IGHT 2.0 RTR to start... Out of the box they need very little to get up and running and are definitely competitive.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Kyosho fit and finish, and material quality can not be beat.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I say do it! It will be a steep and expensive learning curve, but get good stuff from the start. Maybe not the Kyosho, as that is astronomicaly expensive, rather hot bodies or associated. Just get a budget motor to start off with so that you you will not be too bummed if you make a nitro boo boo with your first motor.

Good luck, and beware. This stuff is addicting!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

1 week of racing and your hooked already. First, can you tune a nitro engine? If the answer is yes, then forget the SC10 and just buy the Kyosho. The SC10 will be fighting for traction and I think you find the Kyosho a much better learning and driving experience.

If you can't tune a nitro engine or do not have the patience to learn the tuning, then go the 1/8 electric buggy route. They have a ton of power that can be tamed down to be drivable by anyone.

I always thought learning to drive a 2wd for a beginner is the hardest part to starting out. It can teach you good throttle control, but most get too frustrated by the time they get it figured out.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Tech Adept

I have the basic idea for nitro tuning I know of the basic risks of damaging a motor and although I am newbie on nitro I have the patience to learn and not just run in a break stuff.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have the basic idea for nitro tuning I know of the basic risks of damaging a motor and although I am newbie on nitro I have the patience to learn and not just run in a break stuff.
Damaging the motor is not what I would be worried about. It's getting it started. I would suggest you get a good racing engine that is already race prepped or broken in by the builder. I have my own break-in bench now and it sure makes the process a lot easier.

Second thing, just keep smoke blowing out the pipe and you will be fine with the nitro. Too many guys get hung up on temps and not actually a good race tune. There are too many variables including fuel types, glow plugs, etc. that can affect temps and they should not be used as a comparison in my opinion. The only time I use a temp gun is on the break-in bench to ensure it gets above 200 degrees. If you do not get there, you really are doing nothing to your engine as far as breaking it in.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would buy the nitro first and then buy the SC later. There are a ton of good high quality buggies on the market so do some research and get the one that draws your attention.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I don't know RC cars, I do know helicopters and my favorite helicopter hands down is from Hirobo the quality of that helicopter cannot be beat that is my sole reason for picking that buggy.
To for the 1/8 scale there's nothing like it on the track. I am the exact opposite I know cars but not helis. I did my 1st live hover yesterday with an t Rex 600n, os powered of course and futaba 14mz.

Dive into the 1/8 if its popular in your area it blows the sc stuff away but it is more spendy.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Frank L
To for the 1/8 scale there's nothing like it on the track. I am the exact opposite I know cars but not helis. I did my 1st live hover yesterday with an t Rex 600n, os powered of course and futaba 14mz.

Dive into the 1/8 if its popular in your area it blows the sc stuff away but it is more spendy.
Ah yes the first hover, nothing quite like it.

After reading this thread and many other threads/forums I think I am going to stick with the Slash 4x4 and only change the Tires and springs and just enjoy it for a month or so, then if I feel the same then as I do now I will get an 1/8 scale buggy.
I don't see the value in going to a SC10 right now, maybe if I was starting from scratch again but I already have the Slash 4x4 here and (8) lipos, 4 of which wouldn't even fit in the SC10 also im not trying to compete with the Slash but just have some fun, when it comes to the 1/8th though a good higher end buggy seems like a must.

Thanks everyone for all the help this is a great hobby that I hope to enjoy alot.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Ah yes the first hover, nothing quite like it.

After reading this thread and many other threads/forums I think I am going to stick with the Slash 4x4 and only change the Tires and springs and just enjoy it for a month or so, then if I feel the same then as I do now I will get an 1/8 scale buggy.
I don't see the value in going to a SC10 right now, maybe if I was starting from scratch again but I already have the Slash 4x4 here and (8) lipos, 4 of which wouldn't even fit in the SC10 also im not trying to compete with the Slash but just have some fun, when it comes to the 1/8th though a good higher end buggy seems like a must.

Thanks everyone for all the help this is a great hobby that I hope to enjoy alot.
Good idea! It's always best to wait it out and see whats the most popular form of racing in your area.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My first RC was also my first Nitro, and not having any tracks around me or any friends with RC made the going tough.... and expensive. 8 years later I can honestly say that it was totally worth it. I have knowledge and skills well beyond what kids are getting these days running RTR electrics that you only get from running Nitro. Not saying they don't know a few things they could teach me, I also run electrics now as well. In fact I am waiting on a servo to complete a full restoration on my first buggy... here it is.

OFNA 9.5 MBX

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/...er/OFNA%20MBX/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.