Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Offroad Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

Default Buggy tyres ???

Hi Dear Buggy Racers,

I've come across some threads about a week or 2 back from somewhere, someone giving tips (shortcut to a website) on buggy tyres on what the different thread patterns means and to be used best on what conditions...

Have somehow failed to find that posting/thread... somewhere in this RC tech!

Appreciate if you could help me out on which website provide detail descriptions on buggy tyres again...

Thanks a million in advance...
Old 05-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Tire Guide
Old 05-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Default gasoline powered 1/8 buggy

I was doing a search and came across these....
http://www.hungates.com/Merchant2/me...Code=100742102

I'm sure it would be a no go for racing but would be interesting to see.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Default Engine break-in

Hi Dear Buggy Racers...

I'm using a Nova S421B Turbo Engine. This engine has fantastic power. But trouble is when my buggy flips over for about 10 second or more before putting it back up, it has a high chance of dying...

I've tried changing fuel lines, fuel tanks.... but to no avail...

Just wondering if anyone did encounter a similiar problem ? Is it this particular engine is sensitive or all turbo enignes are sensitive...???

Appreciate any help or advice... Thanks !

Old 05-28-2005, 02:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bad Mika
Hi Dear Buggy Racers...

I'm using a Nova S421B Turbo Engine. This engine has fantastic power. But trouble is when my buggy flips over for about 10 second or more before putting it back up, it has a high chance of dying...
Model car fuel tanks don't like being upside-down because the fuel pick-up is only designed to pick up fuel when the car is right-side-up. However, the length of your fuel line and also the size of your in-line fuel filter can help improve the 'fuel-reservoir' ability of your car, while it's on it's roof! This may buy you some time, while the turn marshal attends to your stricken car.

Once air gets into the line though, any engine will stall. This is not a unique characteristic of your particular engine.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

I alwayes wanted to know that.Thanks!
Old 05-28-2005, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

one thing that might wok for you is to just blip the throttle when it's upside down. That should help as well. Just make sure to hit the brakes when a marshall is at your car>
Old 05-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Bad Mika, now you know why so many racers use 2 or 3 fuel filters and 2 foot of fuel line on thier buggies..........it wasn't only for more fuel mileage, haha........., Jim
Old 05-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would bet money its because the plug is fouling out. I know your thinking no it cant be because it restarts but the glow ignitor is probably burning the fuel off and then it restarts fine. I think the turbo plug is part of the problem Ive heard they are not popular in offroad because they dont take the beating very well. Also a rich mixture would splash more fuel on it while upside down.

I know my car has relatively little fuel line and only 1 fuel filter but runs upside down for quite a while way more than 10 seconds and Ive also learned blipping the throttle is OK but too much and you run out of fuel alot quicker.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

I'd say the problem lies in ending up on your lid... Just kidding man, my car sees the sky alot also.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:57 AM
Tech Regular

Default Engine troubles ???

Hi Guys,

Thanks for sharing your great views ! The blipping of the throtttle is new to me... thought it was a "no no" for on-road gas car racing when it goes upside down... Well will try it out...

Out of curiosity, anyone knows the IFMAR Buggy ruling on how much fuel is allowed ? From my understanding, their measurement will include the tank and fuel lines as well....... so imagine all those fuel lines and reservoirs will get into pretty deep trouble... Hee hee...!!!

Well, normally in race days we have marshals so the car gets pick up pretty quickly... It's only in those practise days where sometimes there's no one to help pick the car up after one of those over ambitious kind of jumps... Hee hee ... we gotta climb down the driver stands and pick it up... that's when it happens... but i see other guys being able to take a stroll and walk slowly to picking their Buggy up... and their engine's still running good (other kinds/brands of engines ) ... Amazing !!!

By the way Jason (PTP Racing), what engine are you running ? Thanks...

Happy Buggying !!!
Old 05-29-2005, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

You could just run long fuel lines on those practice days.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/8 scale hop us

Anybody have a general place they order their 1/8 scale hop-ups from. I just purchases a HB Lightning 2 (not even here yet, still being shipped) but have just been looking around for parts. Im not a huge fan of purple stuff, but cant find any other Alum. parts made by anyone else.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bad Mika
Hi Dear Buggy Racers...

I've tried changing fuel lines, fuel tanks.... but to no avail...

Just wondering if anyone did encounter a similiar problem ? Is it this particular engine is sensitive or all turbo enignes are sensitive...???

Appreciate any help or advice... Thanks !

There is nothing wrong with your fuel lines and especially with the length of the fuel line. You say that you were not blipping the throttle. The shortest fuel line would never empty in 10 seconds when at idle. It is all a matter of engine tuning. I used to run that engine and I always relied on my very experienced friends to do the tuning. This engine is very sensitive and it will bog and die even when racing through tight corners at very low speeds. You need to drive it hard so it clears out continiously. This is not for the faint hearted. Your engine is not tuned properly thats why it dies, it has nothing to do with the fuel line.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:05 AM
Tech Adept

Oh and by the way, noone races double fuel filters in racing, plainly because it is illegal. Tank + filter + tubing must contain a maximum of 125cc of fuel. Kyosho who uses large fuel filters has a tank of 120cc in order to compensate for the filter's capacity. If you see a second fuel filter in race cars this is connected to the exhaust pressure line and I think it is called a pressure chamber. This is something else that helps the engine to not die after a fuel fill up. The explanation lies in physics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.