Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do We Need a Pan Car Trans Am Series?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im gonna have to agree with ApexSpeed here. I think that the GT10 class ought to be a 2 door coupe class. there are a host of 2 door GT/supercar bodies on the market and even more options for painting the bodies up too (If you head over to www.racingsportscars.com and look at the GT pictures youll see what I mean there)
Old 03-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Frankly, I would be extremely disappointed to see another class using the same basic style format as the USVTA. Dividing up the participation and following of our class only hurts everyone in the long run. We have something really great being built, and something like this could really stunt the growth of Trans Am.

From everything that I have seen about the Pro10 class, most are aiming towards more current 200mm GT-based bodies, which the selection is enormous.

I think for a broader appeal, the wise choice is to pattern this class after the way the USVTA has been organized and structured, but do it with your own body style, tires and powerplant choices. IMO, LiPos on 17.5s in a pan car with contemporary GT bodies on it would be a blast, and a fantastic companion class to Vintage Trans Am.

Just my 2¢.
100% agree
Old 03-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Look I was just looking to run in a class that was out there ok T/A Racing I have been testing this pancar for about 14 months and when we got the cars from MLP they had the HPI Vintage Bodies on them. It was cool but we went on to cars like the corvette and Lambo! even touring bodies and 200mm nitro onroad bodies.

I just asked one question if one could run in this class I was told No!

I did not want to upset anyone We have Touring cars we can run them in the T/A Series. we were just tossing out an Idea and didn't want to take from anyones series ok.

if I could or knew how I would kill the Thread ok.

Sorry
Old 03-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hakuna matata old boy...I wasnt upset at all. I cant speak for the other posters, but I wasnt one bit upset about you tossing that idea out there. I appreciate the desire to want to capitalize on the success of something like VTA and on the grassroots support for the 200mm pan class.

Don't be discouraged Cunningham. Im hoping to see the 200mm GT class really come into its own in the coming weeks and months.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

its cool.

I do know this Marty Told me this car cameabout because his Boss Chip at Al's hobby wanted to make a 68 Camaro Conv HPI Body and thought MLP's Chassis would work Great. and that is how his 200mm PanCar with a Vintage body on it came to be.
Marty also said that it was tost around back then about a Vintage 200mm Racing Series and they have been up on his website for over a year. there was even talk about Vintage Bodies and HPI Wheels and tires only. this was back in 2006 - spring of 2007. Now Marty got sick just after I got my cars, and again this year his health let him down again.
Anyway Marty and the guy's at Al's first came up with this Idea. Over a year ago. and I think they came up with 200mm Pan Car as well.

So I am not taking from anyone just looking to race.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Hey, I say if you and your buds want to run TA bodies and a similar spec to VTA then go to it!! My own choice would (will) be to run GT cars on the 200mm pan cars, but I'm a "more the merrier" kind of guy.

Are your "Viper" chassis adjustable wheelbase? At least more so/easier than TC chassis? I know the oval pan cars each side is individually adjustable for wheelbase (lead?) but I note in your description that the Viper uses TC arms and uprights. I think your cars are a neat idea.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is this a national series you are talking about? I know the d-drive cars are gaining momentum in the UK but it is GTP and F1 sometimes running together right now. Marty, will you still have the same F1 body as before? That was the best one yet. Send me an e-mail. I almost feel like the forgotten child association down here!

Never race a car that has doors... or they will let those stupid Scion people in!
Old 03-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Frankly, I would be extremely disappointed to see another class using the same basic style format as the USVTA. Dividing up the participation and following of our class only hurts everyone in the long run. We have something really great being built, and something like this could really stunt the growth of Trans Am.

From everything that I have seen about the Pro10 class, most are aiming towards more current 200mm GT-based bodies, which the selection is enormous.

I think for a broader appeal, the wise choice is to pattern this class after the way the USVTA has been organized and structured, but do it with your own body style, tires and powerplant choices. IMO, LiPos on 17.5s in a pan car with contemporary GT bodies on it would be a blast, and a fantastic companion class to Vintage Trans Am.

At the tracks within 100 miles of home. There are none running USVTA classes. So locally there is no participation to divide. Here you can only increase the numbers of participants by allowing 2WD cars in. There is one other local racer who has discussed the idea with me of building a VTA car to run, so that there would be two of them to show up, and we can call it a class.

I can appreciate that it is growing where you are. The thing I love about it is the idea of having something that looks like real cars. I can appreciate the idea of USVTA or for that matter a new type of GT1, GT2, LeMans or SCCA style race. Wether the chassis is pan or touring, Im sure that there is a way to make the rules balance them. Just like the way it is done in F1, where the 4WD cars get to use 19t or 13.5 against a field of 27/17.5. If I built a car for this class I would be happy to have one other car to run against, even if it were a pan. If one type of car is to fast for the others, then penalize it by weight or power.

I fail to see why there are panties in wads over this. I agree with the idea behind Bullfrog running his Purple Cuda pan. You need all you can get when you are trying something new. If there are enough then you can split them into another class. Plus the purple Cuda is cool. Especially with the deep rear wheels under it.

Dont get me wrong its your class your rules, Im OK with that. But when local clubs try to catch on, they may modify it to their taste and forego becoming a part of the official series.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 03-15-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Doc

I for one would have thought they would have said in our International T/A Rules it is not legal to run a Pan Car , But you might want to check with your local track!

or something like that.

I guess we will just need to think about this.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Hey, I say if you and your buds want to run TA bodies and a similar spec to VTA then go to it!! My own choice would (will) be to run GT cars on the 200mm pan cars, but I'm a "more the merrier" kind of guy.

Are your "Viper" chassis adjustable wheelbase? At least more so/easier than TC chassis? I know the oval pan cars each side is individually adjustable for wheelbase (lead?) but I note in your description that the Viper uses TC arms and uprights. I think your cars are a neat idea.
Yes The Viper Chassis is and will be an adjustable Car. That is to say its length and width can be adjusted for more info one will need to keep an eye on the website or till we release the cars ok. I do not want this to be about our car but for racing and all the cars. I am a racer first and foremost.

These are the Chassis we are testing I think the first one with the cell tray like the CRC will be the one we go with.

Thanks

C.C.
Attached Thumbnails Do We Need a Pan Car Trans Am Series?-x10-base.jpg   Do We Need a Pan Car Trans Am Series?-x105.jpg   Do We Need a Pan Car Trans Am Series?-x105z.jpg   Do We Need a Pan Car Trans Am Series?-x10l4.jpg   Do We Need a Pan Car Trans Am Series?-x105l.jpg  

Old 03-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dragracer72nova
A GT40 class would be Pretty Cool too.
Dave
Well I will check that out this might be a good class as well.

GT40 Class or Vintage Sports Car Class but there are no Ferrari 330P Bodies out there and or Prosche Carrera 6 or what would be the 906 Bodies from that era.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would love to see a vintage sports car class as well. Porsche 917K, Lola T-70's, McLaren M6's & M8's, Chaparrrals, etc. Could be as good as Vintage Trans Am if some companies would make the bodies.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cdtanner
I would love to see a vintage sports car class as well. Porsche 917K, Lola T-70's, McLaren M6's & M8's, Chaparrrals, etc. Could be as good as Vintage Trans Am if some companies would make the bodies.

I think that would be so cool I always like the cars from the past 917 or 512 Running again. The 917 would be so cool but I bet there are a good handfull of cars out there.
Attached Thumbnails Do We Need a Pan Car Trans Am Series?-aa2085.jpg   Do We Need a Pan Car Trans Am Series?-1.jpg  
Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

SpeedMerchant rolled out their 1/10 pan car out after qualifying at the ROAR nationals this weekend, with a C6 Corvette on it. There was a big crowd around the track checking it out. From what i understand, several manufacturers are behind this class with 200mm cars, sports/GT type bodies, and 4 cells. They are looking at several options for tires.

Hopefully, they will let everybody know what will be up with the class soon. I think they are still testing and looking at options.

That being said, i think it could be a great class, as well as stablemate for T/A. The fact that none of these cars are widely run right now, and not all the manufacturers have their cars out yet, should be enough to adopt a wait-and-see attitude. I think both classes will have something unique which will attract drivers to them.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the update RobK BMI CRC SpeedMerchant CLC-MLP and all the others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.