Search

Mugen Mbx5 and X6 Clutch Talk Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)
Default Mugen Mbx5 and X6 Clutch Talk Q&A

I wanted to see what everyone was running for clutch and clutch bells
Can someone that running the M2C 4 shoe Clutch Chime in and tell me if its a good investment?

Mitch owner of M2C's shop is about 5 miles from my house. All I know is Losi 4 shoes set-ups. I ran 4 composites shoes on my Losi I just like the smoothness. What do you guys recommend? I really don't like hard hitting set-ups?

Also I read in the MBX6 test they ran a 15 tooth clutch bell instead of the stock 14? I was even thinking of 16, I have a just broke in GRP that runs out.

I haven't run my buggy yet but are there any extras that I should buy for a race in a town that doesn't sell Mugen? With my Losi it ate clutch bearings, so I always had them. How are the MBX6's on clutch bearings?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If you like a smooth clutch you need carbons...I like the Werks setup. The GRP makes smooth power so you may can get by with 4 hard M2C shoes, but I never was able to make it suit me in a buggy. In Arena Truck it's a no brainer, the M2C was nice..Could tailor the hit to the amount of traction. However, in buggy, I couldn't make the M2C hit soft enough.

In the mag review, they ran a 14 rather than a 13. I did not like the 14 in my car with the GRP mill. Went back to the 13...

Clutch bearings are hit or miss it seems...The stock Mugen bearings are pretty good, but are metal sealed. So they don't resist alot of debris. I use solely the Advantage clutch bearings with one rubber seal. If you run a carbon clutch setup, make sure you blow the grease out of the bearing prior to running it. Or set the clutch up, install it, run it for a few secs on the box and snatch the engine back off it and clean the shoes and bell. Hope this helps. Scott
Old 12-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Default clutch

Originally Posted by s porter
If you like a smooth clutch you need carbons...I like the Werks setup. The GRP makes smooth power so you may can get by with 4 hard M2C shoes, but I never was able to make it suit me in a buggy. In Arena Truck it's a no brainer, the M2C was nice..Could tailor the hit to the amount of traction. However, in buggy, I couldn't make the M2C hit soft enough.

In the mag review, they ran a 14 rather than a 13. I did not like the 14 in my car with the GRP mill. Went back to the 13...

Clutch bearings are hit or miss it seems...The stock Mugen bearings are pretty good, but are metal sealed. So they don't resist alot of debris. I use solely the Advantage clutch bearings with one rubber seal. If you run a carbon clutch setup, make sure you blow the grease out of the bearing prior to running it. Or set the clutch up, install it, run it for a few secs on the box and snatch the engine back off it and clean the shoes and bell. Hope this helps. Scott

Thanks Scott what didnt you like about the 14 tooth bell?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

On the tracks I frequent, it was too tall a final gear ratio...Car really didn't start pulling until halfway down the straight. A smooth clutch and the 13 tooth works well for me atleast.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

A well maintained Mugen clutch is tough to beat. They offer a choice of alum (standard or light weight) or carbon shoes and at least three different spring selections. As with any car, gear selection depends on the track you're running on. I'm currently running the 13T clutch bell, again, a Mugen clutch bell. When you buy a Mugen, there's no need to buy after market parts. Spend that money on track time and new tires instead.
My 2 cents!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

leave the stock clutch. I also have the grp on my x6. I dont think it hits to hard. As far as gearing stick with the stock bell unless your track is very big
Old 12-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Run it stock, mgfr knows best
Old 12-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I run the M2C system and love it. Long lasting, easy on bearings. The one drawback is with so many types of shoes and springs, it can be a bit confusing. I ran the Reg hard shoes with two .95 and two 1.0 springs in buggy and Reg Hard shoes with 4 1.0 in truggy. My B @ T were not Mugens though, but since you asked specifically about M2C, thought I'd toss my experience out.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

knowledge is pwr!! Learn to rip and yuo will!!!!!
Go my friends!!!!!!! GO!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Old 12-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by easyryder
knowledge is pwr!! Learn to rip and yuo will!!!!!
Go my friends!!!!!!! GO!!!!!!
I want what he's smoking
Old 12-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Tech Addict

Default spings shoes

What kind of composite shoes are people running on there X6? Does someone have a link to the clutch springs? Kind of like how losi does it black softest silver most firm?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Addict

Default spings shoes

What kind of composite shoes are people running on there X6? Does someone have a link to the clutch springs? Kind of like how losi does it black softest silver most firm?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by robbdny
Mugen do 2 types of composite shoes the white PTFE and the black carbon, i have been told the white provide a bit more grab so are a more inbetween shoe, as for the springs they come in thickness of wire mugen are simply either .9mm, 1mm or 1.1mm, for composite shoes its best to go for the .9mm springs as it makes the shoes last a while longer, also worth trying if you want a softer set up but still retain some go is 1 alu 2 plastic or 2 alu 1 plastic again springs can be .9 for the plastic 1mm for the alu or any combo to get where you want to be, if you have low grip then .9mm springs with the black or white shoes would be best as the grip improves you can increase spring size and start to increase the bite with the shoe material.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

Default clutch bells

I thought I over heard someone saying that you can run the RMV or Ofna vented clutch bells on the Mugen Fly Wheels? Does anyone have any facts on this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.