Wiki Posts
Search

cleaning the hard places

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

lol.

Even a thread about cleaning has people being smart you all know whats on this site. (not trying to start a fight or point fingers, this sites just getting out of hand in some places)

I clean my buggy's with Simple green and Pledge, may get a little expensive after awhile, but the Simple green with a little water and some rubbing alcohol mixxed in cleans real nice, blow it off with a air compressor, and spray down with some Pledge (I use the orange kind to cover the Nasty simple green smell) The Pledge is almost like a thin layer of, idk, wax almost, so dirt does not stick. Plus my car looks nice and shiny and smells good before a run. Almost brings you confidence having a shiny clean car...

And just take the time to take your radio tray out, its so much better to get it perfect and clean. And the more you do it, the easier it gets every time, and with the pledge the dirt will just blow out from the underside of your tray.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing
lol.

Even a thread about cleaning has people being smart you all know whats on this site. (not trying to start a fight or point fingers, this sites just getting out of hand in some places)

I clean my buggy's with Simple green and Pledge, may get a little expensive after awhile, but the Simple green with a little water and some rubbing alcohol mixxed in cleans real nice, blow it off with a air compressor, and spray down with some Pledge (I use the orange kind to cover the Nasty simple green smell) The Pledge is almost like a thin layer of, idk, wax almost, so dirt does not stick. Plus my car looks nice and shiny and smells good before a run. Almost brings you confidence having a shiny clean car...

And just take the time to take your radio tray out, its so much better to get it perfect and clean. And the more you do it, the easier it gets every time, and with the pledge the dirt will just blow out from the underside of your tray.
On the money dude on both observations. I never thought of pledge, but it makes sense. I use pledge to polish the outside of my lexan bodies but now I have another good use for it. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Suspended

Old 09-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Suspended

Good one laTigra, you've still managed to show off your own sarcasm while lambasting me. You might wanna check with mom about that "two wrongs don't make a right" day of hometraining you musta missed.

btw --- Unless you're actually cleaning the bearings between dates, you're just fooling yourself if you think you're doing anything by cleaning off the outside of them. And by blowing around that dust and moisture from cleaners, dirt also has a way of working its way inside bearings and leading to rust and pitting thus doing more damage than good.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cracka
Yeah, sprinkle with magic dust, say your prayers, click your heels together and say "I think I can, I think I can"................................
your an ass!
Old 09-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

have any one else noticed is that in almost all the threads all we do is rag on each other and just help out.

use an aircompressor, take it apart and use a rag and you choice of cleaner( simple green, goo gone), you can also use the compressed little air cans you may use to clean your computer ( if you have the money to buy them), or use q tips with you cleaner on the tip and dig out the dirt and oil with those ( my choice, because i have a cr x1x and the radio box is high enough to get them under it)
Old 09-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Good one laTigra, you've still managed to show off your own sarcasm while lambasting me. You might wanna check with mom about that "two wrongs don't make a right" day of hometraining you musta missed.

btw --- Unless you're actually cleaning the bearings between dates, you're just fooling yourself if you think you're doing anything by cleaning off the outside of them. And by blowing around that dust and moisture from cleaners, dirt also has a way of working its way inside bearings and leading to rust and pitting thus doing more damage than good.
FINALLY!! you caught on!! You don't seem to appreciate when someone is sarcastic toward you, but when CEN asked a legit question that a lot of new people ask your reply was :

Yeah, sprinkle with magic dust, say your prayers, click your heels together and say "I think I can, I think I can"................................
Instead of being helpful and then being an ass or being helpful while being an ass, you took the I'm only gonna be an ass route.

Don't take this the wrong way cause I can tell you know what you're talking about and have some knowledge about RC, but this forum is meant to offer help to newbies who get into RC and need some much needed answers from the oldheads.

I will be the first one to apoligize for dissin you, but I can tell you didn't appreciate it and you deserved it for being prickish. Now put yourself in CEN's place. BigSquadRacer and Owen RaCing are exactly right about people getting out of hand on these forums.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing
lol.

Thats why your car always sucks!

JK Mike. I usually just take my car apart, but if im feeling lazy, I use this way. But usually I take my car apart to change things, so it would of had to come apart anyhow
Old 09-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Although Simple Green works well, I prefer to use Sram's bike wash. It's a great product for cleaning, isn't horribly expensive, and foams pretty well.

Any part that I can, I usually clean in a hot ultrasonic tank -- call me anal, but after working in jewelry for 4 years, it's worth its weight in gold when it comes to cleaning anything that will fit in the tank (except plastic parts).

edit: Sram Pit Stop http://www.sram.com/en/pitstop/maint...ikecleaner.php

Works great on my buggy and my road bike.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Fear
Although Simple Green works well, I prefer to use Sram's bike wash. It's a great product for cleaning, isn't horribly expensive, and foams pretty well.

Any part that I can, I usually clean in a hot ultrasonic tank -- call me anal, but after working in jewelry for 4 years, it's worth its weight in gold when it comes to cleaning anything that will fit in the tank (except plastic parts).
How much does a ultrasonic tank goes for? I hear other guys swear by them for cleaning their diff gears
Old 09-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Thats true, what with all the tear downs to
check the diffs and change the fluids,all the
bearings in my truggies get changed at least
every two weeks. Good or bad they get changed.
I thought that he was asking about doing a quick
cleaning between rounds. Damn, some of you guys
like to start some $het with each other all the time.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rageworks
Thats true, what with all the tear downs to
check the diffs and change the fluids,all the
bearings in my truggies get changed at least
every two weeks. Good or bad they get changed.
I thought that he was asking about doing a quick
cleaning between rounds. Damn, some of you guys
like to start some $het with each other all the time.
I keep my bearings until I hear the grinding sound after cleaning, even if I got good movement, that's just a bearing waiting to shread during a race.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This stuff is the BEST!
http://www.serpent.com/product/1690
Old 09-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by El Tigre
How much does a ultrasonic tank goes for? I hear other guys swear by them for cleaning their diff gears
I'll give a call on Monday... but a good size tank will set you back a few pennies. You could even go with a "Home Use" kit for probably around 100 bucks. Unfortunately, most of them aren't heated, and are very small. Good for diff gears and small parts for sure, but they're a bit underpowered IMO. I use a Crest Tru-Sweep 950, it holds about 5.75 gallons, and is big enough for most RC parts, even your chassis.

Mostly, I use it for bearings that I can re-pack and gears, but I also clean a lot of my bike parts in it as well.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Fear
I'll give a call on Monday... but a good size tank will set you back a few pennies. You could even go with a "Home Use" kit for probably around 100 bucks. Unfortunately, most of them aren't heated, and are very small. Good for diff gears and small parts for sure, but they're a bit underpowered IMO. I use a Crest Tru-Sweep 950, it holds about 5.75 gallons, and is big enough for most RC parts, even your chassis.

Mostly, I use it for bearings that I can re-pack and gears, but I also clean a lot of my bike parts in it as well.
DAMN DUDE!! The Crest Tru-Sweep 950 is a $700 setup. I'll stick with a Crest electric toothbrush and some simple green.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.