Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
20 Minute Electric Main Li-Po Truck Class >

20 Minute Electric Main Li-Po Truck Class

20 Minute Electric Main Li-Po Truck Class

Old 05-26-2007, 03:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrBlack
This is what our team drivers will be doing...
Originally Posted by nemix
which lipo packs are those?
By MrBlack's signiture, I would assume these are 4800 Orion packs hooked together to make a 9600 mah pack. Should have no problem making 20 or even 30 minutes with those!
Old 05-26-2007, 06:26 AM
Tech Adept

Default Setups??

Would somone post a complete setup sheet for one of the lipo powered Losi XXXT MF2?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

How much does a T4 weigh with a 8000 lipo and Novak brushless system? I noticed a discussion about weight earlier in the thread and was wondering if my truck was overweight. Thanks, Don
Old 05-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Heres some news:

Saturday I ran a Novak GTB/4300 Losi XXX-T, Max Amps 6000 Mah Lipo.

I ran in a 20 minute main against gas trucks.
And I won. No pits, and had at least 10 minutes of run left. I could have with no problem ran 30 minutes. SO I believe 20 minute mains with 6000 Mah or higher could be run with out draining the batteries so low they will be damaged.

Temp outside was 75 degrees and the motor came off 129, and the GTB was 98.
With the fan on.
I forgot to check the temp on the pack, I was in a hurry to get out and marshall gas warm ups.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Congrats, how was your speed against the nitros? Do you have an idea what weight you ran at? Thanks, Don
Old 05-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

do you have a more powerful motor to try this with for the 6000mah? Would be interesting to see what a 5.5 motor would do on runtime versus your 4300.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Truerc.com sales a 6400 that is designed to fit in the t-4 and xxx-t battery slots w/out any modifications. I bet you could get 20 minutes out of it w/ a 6.5 and possibly a 5.5. The packs sale for $80, it has a 15c rating.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Heres some news:

Saturday I ran a Novak GTB/4300 Losi XXX-T, Max Amps 6000 Mah Lipo.

I ran in a 20 minute main against gas trucks.
And I won. No pits, and had at least 10 minutes of run left. I could have with no problem ran 30 minutes. SO I believe 20 minute mains with 6000 Mah or higher could be run with out draining the batteries so low they will be damaged.

Temp outside was 75 degrees and the motor came off 129, and the GTB was 98.
With the fan on.
I forgot to check the temp on the pack, I was in a hurry to get out and marshall gas warm ups.

Dude, isnt that a little too hot?.

V.nice result indeed but dont you run the risk of damaging your motor and speedo at those temps? perhaps more mounted fans?

Also if i can recall you had ample of power on that thing and is why you were asking tips on how tame it a fraction, did u end up adjusting the slipper?
Old 05-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Dirt-Racer
Dude, isnt that a little too hot?.

V.nice result indeed but dont you run the risk of damaging your motor and speedo at those temps? perhaps more mounted fans?

Also if i can recall you had ample of power on that thing and is why you were asking tips on how tame it a fraction, did u end up adjusting the slipper?
4300 with a sintered rotor, no way you can run those up to 150 degrees. It wont thermal till 170. 129 is absolutely perfect, especially at 20 minutes.
It was cold when you think about it.

I'm sure the weight was close to what a normal 3800 would be. They didn't tech cars.

My lap times were slightly faster. I was running a 4300 and in the straight they were a hair faster. I was just more consistent I think. I'm going to throw a 5800 in to try soon.
I ran a 5.5 but it was just to much then I added the weight and it came around. To make 5.5 20 minutes it would have to be geared prefect, and I would guess you would have to drive conservatively?
Or do a battery swap? We tried doing a battery swap so we could do it with the 5.5.
We lay'd the truck on the table and swapped the battery the best time we could come up with with out running to packs at once was 55 seconds.

And yes your tip on the camber links and slipper helped a lot.
I put up a thank you in the 5 dollar buckaroo thread
I also played with the weight, I added 40 grams. It was the only way to tame the car with the 5.5 in it. A lot of people were shocked at running 20 minutes with voltage to spare.

More to come.
I'm going to buy a 4 wheel buggy and see if I can keep up with the 1/8th scales.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Haha, great stuff dude.

Now onto 4wd eh? . You better make that buggy of yours real fast otherwise they gonna puff you for smokes, assuming your talking about a 1/10th scaler 4wd right? Its just being run over by those overweight beasts sends chill down my spine

What buggy you looking at now?
Old 05-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Dirt-Racer
Haha, great stuff dude.

Now onto 4wd eh? . You better make that buggy of yours real fast otherwise they gonna puff you for smokes, assuming your talking about a 1/10th scaler 4wd right? Its just being run over by those overweight beasts sends chill down my spine

What buggy you looking at now?
You sound like the guys at the track.
Probably right to? Maybe I should watch times from a different class?

I'm thinking Academy or the MX5.
Not sure if I can pull it off before winter though?
Old 05-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

You can always get yourself an 1/8th scaler and convert it to run electric? at least that way you know your in it with the lads of the same size and you still got the part of where its still electric? besides, with 1/8th scale chassis at an all time high in the popularity table and with the wide choices makes it more affordable . I am seriously looking into this format
Old 05-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craps
Dennis Allison bought 2 TrueRC 8000s for E-Revo and they were too wide to fit in the battery tray of a T-4 or Doug Tudor's Losi MF1. You could make it fit with alot of force that would damage the cells, so not recommended. Stick with the MaxAmps or the Thunder Power and I hope to be marketing for a new company a 8000 mah li-po for less than $100...Stay tuned!

I have 2 Astro Flight 109s and 1 Duratrax ICE along with a brand new Thunder Power TP 1010C charger with a data link to the balancer that I really like to get those batteries perfect! It is kinda pricey at $199.
Craps my local track SRS. says they will let us start a brushless/Lipo class.

I bought a Novak GTB and a 10.5 brushless motor, for my MF2.

I'm trying to get the class started as a 19T, because its the most popular class at are track.

I'm Looking for a charger that has all the safety features, how important is a temp cut off ?
Of the 3 chargers you mentioned is the ICE the only one with a temp cut off ?

I've started trying to research Lipo chargers and it seems that all the ones you mentioned are considered some of the best for the money.

I want to buy the one with the most features and is the safest.
I found some other ones and was wondering what you know or think of them.

http://www.tmenet.com/xtrema.htm

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.php?prod=EOS1210i

Also are these the two battery's you are talking about , the thunder powers dimensions don't look like they will fit in my MF2 battery tray.

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...o-8000-74-Pack

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...BATTERIES.html

Another ? do you or any of the guys you race with use ether one of these to charge or store your Lipos battery's in ?

http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=LS1

http://mysite.verizon.net/kevinkel/index.html

Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Mike.

Last edited by *Chrominator*; 05-27-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Craps-
I am considering the purchase of a 8000mah lipo this week and wanted to know how your leads were configured on your unit. Specifically, where they exit the pack? This will be installed on a T4. Thanks for any and all information.

Anyone-
can someone tell me for certain if the 6400mah lipo packs advertised by truerc.com are a worthy investment or not? Runtime?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think the thing to consider is the weight of the packs as well. If you are picking up different mah, then you have different weight, so that can affect handling and your setup.

I probably would stick with all the same kind of packs if possible. Considering you really don't need many, probably 2 8000mah's, I would go with that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.