Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speed kills.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 12:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Speed kills.....

How can I make a TC3 faster (inexpensively)?
Old 05-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Tech Initiate

take out all the bearings, use a x-acto knife or pin to remove all the shields, spray em clean, and re-lube with light weight bearing oil, 2 hours of your time, almost free speed
Old 05-19-2003, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Grind all the bearing holders in the diff cases so that the bearings fit easily and don't tighten the diff cases too tight.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wow. This is a neat idea, but not in line with my logic of buying an rtr. Should I just build a racer version to accomplish what you guys are suggesting?

Any suggestions of making an rtr faster with hop ups or is the idea you suggest far superior to any hop ups?
Old 05-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

The cheapest way to increase your RTR's top speed is to fit a bigger pinion.

Next step is to fit a lower turn motor, which will also require a new speed controller.

PS if you haven't already got the RTR, it's much better to build a Racer kit to your own specification.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you have the rtr, get a monster stock motor. It should work with the included speedo and I'm pretty sure it's faster than the motor that came with it, but not 100% sure. Don't go to big on the pinion or you'll smoke the motor. I onced smoked one of my monsters and there was a big trail of smoke out of the back of my car! It was cool, when I looked at my armature you could tell it was actually slightly burning ! Check your manual for the right sized pinion for a stock motor, for the tc3 it's a 28 tooth. But with a high rpm motor like the monster i would go with a 26 for an open track or bashing. But if your on a tight road course I would go even lower like a 23-25 depending how much your on and off the throttle.
As for bearings..... if you don't want to remove the inside cover of them than I would atleast take them all out, spray them with bearing cleaner, than lube them with oil. Also make sure your wheel nuts arn't tightened down too much, this can kill speed and over work your electronics. Hope this helps!
Old 05-20-2003, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

get timed brushes or if you have a mod motor just adjust the timing.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

The number one thing to do to make your self faster it PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! before you buy any hop ups get your self a good set og tools and learn and understand how to work on your car and what makes it work. I rather see you get the racer kit and put the car together your self like that you will know how things go together.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Speed kills.....

Originally posted by RoadRat
How can I make a TC3 faster (inexpensively)?
Borrow your buddy's 9t motor.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Take your car outside, turn it off, put it in the trunk of your daddy's car, have him drie really fast down the interstate...... Unless you want to do things the right way this is the only proper way to make the car faster.....
Old 05-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Take your car outside, turn it off, put it in the trunk of your daddy's car, have him drie really fast down the interstate...... Unless you want to do things the right way this is the only proper way to make the car faster.....

No No No

Don't put it in the trunk. Remove the motor then tie it to the real car with a piece of twine then go interstate. This will break-in those bearing nicely, The high speed will force the excess grease off the bearings freeing up the drivetrain with little effort.

Just free up the drivetrain..
Old 05-22-2003, 08:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Roadrat - Why do you want your TC3 to go fast, can you handle the speed. I suggest you improve your driving first.
But if you are not planning to race then go get yourself a Bolink dragster if speed is what you really want.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by iron chef
take out all the bearings, use a x-acto knife or pin to remove all the shields, spray em clean, and re-lube with light weight bearing oil, 2 hours of your time, almost free speed
what do you mean by remove all the shields???
Old 05-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm used to the power of a stock RC10GT. I can handle the speed. I don't want a dragster because I want a car that can handle also, not just straightline speed.

My goal with buying the TC3 was to switch to electric from nitro. The nitro was too messy and very quirky. This is my fourth RC. I built all the others myself and this is my first RTR. The reason for RTR was simple: I am just trying to have fun in parking lots. I don't race because I don't have time.

I know how to tear down the car completely and put it back together, but that defeats the purpose of buying an RTR, doesn't it. Whatever the case, I will have no problem fixing something if it breaks. Got plenty of experience in that area.

The only reason I ask about additional speed is that I am used to my RC10GT. I don't want to be driving miss daisy with an electric TC3. I just want to increase the speed to what I am used to. Plain and simple.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Roadrat- Ok. I got you. Buying an RTR doesn't mean that you dont need to open the car. It needs maintainance especially electric.

If you want to increase the speed of your stock tc3 without spending tons of $$$ You have to make the drive train more effecient. Try one of the things below depending on how much you are willing to spend.

1. Check for binding.
2. Re lube your bearings and remove those grease inside but You have to relube them frequently now.
3. Install a mod motor.
4. Change pininon one tooth up.
5. Or cut the comm of the stock motors.
6. Cycle your packs.

Hope this help.

Last edited by Assasin; 05-23-2003 at 05:51 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.