Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why 1/12 scale less popular on asphalt ? >

Why 1/12 scale less popular on asphalt ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Why 1/12 scale less popular on asphalt ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes
I really don't understand why you don't set your cars up to the track rather than have to prep the track. In the UK we do not prep tracks, rather we all set up the car to the grip available
You could get away with no track prep if you're racing TCs - racing pan cars on unprepared surfaces, on the other hand, most likely wouldn't be much fun for all but the most dedicated pan car racers. Driving a 2wd pan car on an unprepared track is probably more difficult than driving a 2wd buggy on dirt.

The other reason we prepare tracks - tire wear is significantly reduced. If you're running a pan car on asphalt, you'd probably appreciate having to use fewer tires to get through a race day.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

I really don't understand why you don't set your cars up to the track rather than have to prep the track. In the UK we do not prep tracks, rather we all set up the car to the grip available
On some asphalt surfaces you can. When I first started racing pan cars all we did was blow off the track with a leaf blower and traction was sufficient. But it seems something has changed with asphalt in the last 20 years to where now there is literally no grip even with the softest tires and setup without doing some sort of prep. All you will end up doing is having cars that are extremely loose to drive and that's not fun.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

In the UK we don't run 1/12th outdoors as they are undriveable. Any racing would end up being who manages to run for the race with the least spins.

We used to have some clubs that raced 1/12th on asphalt in the UK. Every one ended up with a custom built chassis with a long wheelbase and the motor behind the rear axle to get them to work.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

double post
Old 12-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by terry.sc
In the UK we don't run 1/12th outdoors as they are undriveable. Any racing would end up being who manages to run for the race with the least spins.

We used to have some clubs that raced 1/12th on asphalt in the UK. Every one ended up with a custom built chassis with a long wheelbase and the motor behind the rear axle to get them to work.
^ This

only way to run 12th on asphalt is by having some seriously well looked after asphalt lol, a single stone and you are gone..ive tried it as have many others

i mean look at the outrage it caused on here by having the IFMAR 12th outdoors on asphalt in 2014 lol
Old 12-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Id say because 1/12th is generaly bigger in the northern (colder) states... therefore its a wintertime and indoor thing brcause most guys are doing other things in the summer since its limited on time. Places where its nice like florida and cali have great outdoor tracks but nitro is bigger since you can race year around
Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PurcyP
^ This

only way to run 12th on asphalt is by having some seriously well looked after asphalt lol, a single stone and you are gone..ive tried it as have many others

i mean look at the outrage it caused on here by having the IFMAR 12th outdoors on asphalt in 2014 lol
The only outrage is the look on there faces when they run on the track & realize that it's so smooth
I already ran a lot of packs on the track and it's so much fun letting it rip on the straight
Old 12-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Very simple conditioning to the asphalt not only Helps in creating natural traction but also helps in maintenance of the asphalt
Castor oil with simple mixture of sugar water nothing major

To me the best recipe is properly blowing off the track
Old 12-27-2013, 10:28 PM
Tech Champion

We vaccuum our track and spray it with sugar water every race day. It is a good 2 hours worth of work and I'm really thankful to the racers who help out every race day. Without them we probably wouldn't be racing right now. I would have got burned out long ago.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
We vaccuum our track and spray it with sugar water every race day.
I'm in the UK. If we sprayed the track with sugar water, for most of the year it would still be wet at the end of the day.

If anyone has a wet setup for 1/12th we might be able to run them outdoors more than a handful of times each year.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Perhaps i talk fubar now......But whatabout rubber tires Terry?
I know the 1:12 foams fit F103 Tamiya rims.
Why not the other way arround?
Like a f1 in the rain?

Regards Roy

I'm in the UK. If we sprayed the track with sugar water, for most of the year it would still be wet at the end of the day.

If anyone has a wet setup for 1/12th we might be able to run them outdoors more than a handful of times each year.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah the sun is very important or possibly investing in a mighty blower to dry up the track
Old 12-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kschu
what is the maximum ride height we can set on 1/12??

because normal surface track might need minimum ride height of 5.mm-5.5mm due to uneven surface...
Ks you can set it high if you use donuts un cut....not recommended. I usually run my 12th scale around 3.1mm from and 3.5mm rear on asphalt. We have a smoother surface. I run bigger tires in the front and rear for grip. We usually run a 3.5 turn motor and plenty of boost.

When there is the turn out this is one of the classes I have enjoyed the most. It just requires as stated....tuning your car around the track for looser conditions. It can be though.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
Perhaps i talk fubar now......But whatabout rubber tires Terry?
I know the 1:12 foams fit F103 Tamiya rims.
Why not the other way arround?
Like a f1 in the rain?

Regards Roy
Have you tried F103s on rubber tires and unprepped asphalt? That's not so good either. I've heard of some people using rubber capped tires with some success but I have no desire to spend $20 per tire just to try it out. Sweep was working on a rubber tire for 1/12th but I haven't heard anything on them for a long time. Most likely they gave up.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GMartinez
The only outrage is the look on there faces when they run on the track & realize that it's so smooth
I already ran a lot of packs on the track and it's so much fun letting it rip on the straight
What tyres have you tested on your track with the 1/12's?

Thanks
Skiddins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.