Motor tuning for a newbie........

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor tuning for a newbie........

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Easy one! it's personal choice, you won't see a performance gain from either.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by edseb
Yeah, your biggest and most important purchase is a good motor lathe. You will have to have some way to get power and adjust the speed too. A lot of guys just use old cells in a 4 cell configuration. I also paid extra and got a diamond bit for my lathe; they don't come with it (a carbide bit usually comes with it), but it will last much longer than carbide and will cut better. You can use that same 4 cell pack to break in the motor too. If you are just starting out, polishing the bushings isn't as critical, but using the right brushes, aligning the hoods, etc. is. My advice is to also get a good soldering iron. You want really good bonds (no cold solders), and that iron is even more critical when you get to your batteries. Hako makes great ones, and there are others. Expect to pay about $75+ for a good iron. Good luck.
i find it much easier to just pay my hobby shop $5 to cut the com, i do everthing else myself. also i dont even solder, i just tuck my brush wires right in the lip that holds the spring in, much neater, easier and never had a problem.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by odawg315
i find it much easier to just pay my hobby shop $5 to cut the com, i do everthing else myself. also i dont even solder, i just tuck my brush wires right in the lip that holds the spring in, much neater, easier and never had a problem.
Don't do This!
Old 07-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

He tucks his shunt "brush wire" where? That's to funny. I have nothing else to say, I can't my stomach hurts from laughing.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:25 PM
Tech Addict

can anyone share your experience of tuning a modified motor?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dmatter
Don't do This!
this coming from someone who advertises his furnace business on his signature in a toy car forum!!!

Originally Posted by DinoXXX
He tucks his shunt "brush wire" where? That's to funny. I have nothing else to say, I can't my stomach hurts from laughing.
you probably have nothing else to say cuz youv'e never tuned a motor in your life, so you try to poke fun instead of ofer some helpful tips, im sure as usual in your life the only point you have is the one on your head. try it before you knock it and see it makes no difference in performance, just neater!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

no difference in performance, are you doing anything w/ the brush tensions? Becouse where you describe putting the shunt will definitly increase tension thus changing the "tune" of the motor.

Not soldering the shunt, well anyone would agree that's wrong, a soldered joint is much more efficient than just letting the springs tension account for a good joint!

How many motors have you Tuned? Paying a shop $5 to cut your comm. is borderline moronic, if you are such a profound Tuner than you must have cut comms what, at least 50 times? humm, if you have payed your shop $5 only 32 time you could have bought your own Cobra lathe w/ a diamond bit.

Now see you could of have save $100 or more by now lol, could have used $10 to buy a cheap soldering iron, And we wouldn't even be having this convo!!!

As for the pointed head comment, I'll pardon that for now, as not to turn this thread into a flaming contest!

Now to defend my post to you, your post was so absurd that I truly thought you were kidding, thus my laughing comment.

Last edited by DinoXXX; 07-19-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

odawg

him advertising his business must have worked, i got you to read and comment on it. all advertising is good no matter where it is.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

no difference in performance, are you doing anything w/ the brush tensions? Becouse where you describe putting the shunt will definitly increase tension thus changing the "tune" of the motor.
yeh so, if your so worried about tension use a softer spring, duh!

Not soldering the shunt, well anyone would agree that's wrong, a soldered joint is much more efficient than just letting the springs tension account for a good joint!
have you tested this or just blabing, iv tested and so have others in my area, no difference what so ever!!!

How many motors have you Tuned? Paying a shop $5 to cut your comm. is borderline moronic, if you are such a profound Tuner than you must have cut comms what, at least 50 times? humm, if you have payed your shop $5 only 32 time you could have bought your own Cobra lathe w/ a diamond bit.
never claimed to be a profound tuner, nor did i ever laugh at someone elses methods.

Now see you could of have save $100 or more by now lol, could have used $10 to buy a cheap soldering iron, And we wouldn't even be having this convo!!!
trust me not a money issue, time, i have a wife and family and a household to support, do so very well, i have 2 extra comms, so haveing a friend who owes me and is working off debt by cutting comms saves me alot of bs time.

Now to defend my post to you, your post was so absurd that I truly thought you were kidding, thus my laughing comment.
how you can think something is so absurd when you have never seen it done or tried it yourself just shows how narrow minded you are!!

Originally Posted by kerry
odawg

him advertising his business must have worked, i got you to read and comment on it. all advertising is good no matter where it is.
yes, cuz it makes me feel so secure that his business is doing so well that he needs to advertise in a toy car forum, id let him work on my $3000 furnace, especially after i see him bashing someone on a public forum simply cuz he doesnt agree with his method!! yeh, he must be the definition of integrity and must posses the highest sence of business ethics!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Tech Adept

...or you could just send your motors to me and I'll rebuild and tune 'em for free!

Yup, that's right. Just pay the postage and I'll do it!

Randy
Old 07-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Does somebody need a cookie?
Old 07-19-2005, 02:00 PM
RJ1
Tech Adept

daveb4edm, you have a PM
Old 07-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Does somebody need a cookie?
cookie, i like that, from now on your knickname is cookie!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wow, what maturity. I only hope anyone seeking info here, can see what kinda guy you are and NOT do anything you say.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

Stop it already, fellas. You're starting to sound like 2nd graders on the playground. Let's all be adults and get back to discussing how to tune motors for newbies...

What are we fighting about, anyways? Whether soldering a brush shunt makes a difference or not? This is a quote from Big Jim, who, in my mind, is the motor man of motor men.

"The single shunt wire is only rated at 10A anyway so it really doesn't matter where you put it as long as it doesn't hang the brush.

It's much more important to keep the inside of the brush hoods exceptionally clean than worry about a shunt wire."

Did you know you could just cut the shunts off and not attach them whatsoever? Or leave them hanging? This is simply a matter of preference. We could sit down and measure everything on a dyno, whether soldered or not, and I imagine the results would only differ slightly. I, for one, prefer to solder my shunts. Some may just like to attach them to the spring-hooky-thing. Some use the screw-on type.

If it works for you, and is fast on the track, then AWESOME! Mission accomplished...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.