Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Different servos for nitro cars? (i'm ex-electric) >

Different servos for nitro cars? (i'm ex-electric)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Different servos for nitro cars? (i'm ex-electric)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally posted by Motorman

How do they say 2 many races to little time.
Dennis,
Maybe you should go into the RC engine building game full time. You could attend every big race then claim it as work related expences, and still use your anual leave for the suntan in the carribean.

Old 01-01-2004, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

i use the futuba s9550 servos for both throttle and steering. half the size of a normal servo, lighter and the same power fugures
Old 01-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maybe you should go into the RC engine building game full time.
Tis the plan.
However it is the manufacturing engine game.

However here is my delimma, I have 16 years at a major corporation with a locked in pension at the end,full medical,and very close to 6 figs and a company car with 5 weeks vacation. SSSOOOOO Its gotta get pretty good before I step off know what I mean. Unfortunatly that comes at a 60 to 80 hour a week price. My dad said never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Personally at this time I'm kinda happy to have that delimma at the moment.
since I have my first child getting ready to start college and two more close.

I'd like to run for a region director spot here, I just am lacking the time to commit to it right now.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

Hey guys,
Can i buy a throttle servo with a built in failsafe???

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, i'm new to the nitro world.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can but these are usually the top dollar digital servos and they would still need to be programmed. Hitec makes a servo programmer for their digital servos and I think you can get one for about $150.

Multiplex also has programmable servos but you need to get the Multiplex programmer for those.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Default Servos for the masses

Guys;

Once you have run a high speed Digital steering Servo in your Car/Truck, you will never be satisfied with anything else.

For the Throttle/Brake, a decent Analog servo will provide everthing you need.

Comments on Hitec;

I purchased the Hitec 625/645 series servos for their performance to value ratio, but have had problems with EVERY single one (digital and analog). I'm lucky if they go over 3 months without a failure. The last one failed with very little actual use.
NO linkage binding and endpoints are always set with room to spare.
The 1 Hitec 5925 servo that I have has been trouble free for over a year and I currently have a total 5 Hitec receivers in my Cars/Trucks and they have also been trouble free.

It is my belief that Hitec has used parts of lower specs in these servos to get the manufacturing costs down and this may be the reason for so many People having problems with them.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Servos for the masses

Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

Once you have run a high speed Digital steering Servo in your Car/Truck, you will never be satisfied with anything else.

For the Throttle/Brake, a decent Analog servo will provide everthing you need.

Comments on Hitec;

I purchased the Hitec 625/645 series servos for their performance to value ratio, but have had problems with EVERY single one (digital and analog). I'm lucky if they go over 3 months without a failure. The last one failed with very little actual use.
NO linkage binding and endpoints are always set with room to spare.
The 1 Hitec 5925 servo that I have has been trouble free for over a year and I currently have a total 5 Hitec receivers in my Cars/Trucks and they have also been trouble free.

It is my belief that Hitec has used parts of lower specs in these servos to get the manufacturing costs down and this may be the reason for so many People having problems with them.
On my 5th scale I have all hitec servos in there, trouble free also! i guess the most important thing is set the epa right and the neutral point right then you will not be strainning the servo.

I have 5945 high torque for front brake and rear brake/throttle and 5735 monster torque on steering. if these servos survive in 5th scale I dont see why it would not work on both 10th and 8th scale. I still have one 5925 on my mtx as throttle and KO 2143 on steering and I have futaba 9451 on MRX they all work very good!
Old 01-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Tech Adept

Guys, i'm considering a ko 2123, is that a good one to use for the steering? I think i can get a good deal on a used one.

Edit: I passed on it, since the servo charts i have suggest it needs a 7.2v battery pack, and it seems most i see are 6.0, is this correct?

Last edited by 2000xp8; 01-11-2004 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by 2000xp8
Guys, i'm considering a ko 2123, is that a good one to use for the steering? I think i can get a good deal on a used one.

Edit: I passed on it, since the servo charts i have suggest it needs a 7.2v battery pack, and it seems most i see are 6.0, is this correct?
Yes, you want a 6.0V one.
Some will show spec's at 4.8V but that's OK, too.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

I'm new to this forum, but just wanted to chime in on the servo discussion. I also used the Hitec 5625MG and 625MG servo for a better part of last season. As my driving skills improved I found limitations with those servos. Then when I bought my V1RR EVO (AMESOME CAR BTW!!!) I purchased a brand new HS 625, which had centering problems from the box. To make a long story short I ended up at my LHS and bought a Futaba S9402/5, and the difference was night and day in the response time and smoothness/operation of the servo. I think the servo is well worth the $70 - $80USD you will pay.

BTW - Anyone have the Evolva yet, I just purchased one! Thanks.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How often do you guys change servos? and how long do they last? before worn out gears, etc.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've had my KO servos for almost a couple years and there still strong but I haven't been running my cars of late that much.