Wiki Posts
Search

SCOOP: New Tamiya Competition 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Doughty
Here is my take on the CAD drawing.

the way I see it is that it is a typical 2WD style gearbox to the rear diff, a normal layshaft, idler, diff kind of setup.

drive to the front wheels comes from a bevel gear on the end of the spur layshaft. shaft drive to the front wheels into what seems to be a drive cup, into a typical shaft car style front diff setup.

this has the same amount of direction switching in the drive train as a typical shaft car so thats a good thing, you also eleminate the nasty torque twist that shaft cars get with their motor mounted 90 degrees to the chassis.

one thing I would like to see is how much lock they get get on the front wheels of that car with the shocks on the back side of the wishbones.

battery connections could be fun too.
wHOA DUDE!!!!!

looks like you were right now we can look at those pictures
Old 02-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

All this heated debate over something that is just a step above a toy?!?

It's not going to be winning anything serious anytime soon.... then again, maybe a few "Big Races" in some newbie's Backyard!
Old 02-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

this forum and sooo many other rc forums around the world exist to talk about toys that we all play with
Old 02-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STEALTH
All this heated debate over something that is just a step above a toy?!?

It's not going to be winning anything serious anytime soon.... then again, maybe a few "Big Races" in some newbie's Backyard!

Never underestimate Tamiya, this will probably show up in this version priced at around $150-$160 (once Tower settles down and stops gouging the "gotta have it first crowd") , next will come the R and TRF versions for around $270-$320 about 6 months later....

also don't underestimate the "toys" remember a few years ago at the nats??? Didn't David Jun win with the TA02 which had 2 3 gear trannies tied together by a single belt??? And he beat the top drivers in the US who all had all the CF and titanium supercars???? I think this will be a pretty good car, I mean it is already starting with a proven durable drivetrain......
Old 02-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It was a TA03...
Old 02-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

It looks like an off-road TA-02 to me and no where near a competition level buggy.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PaintingRoly
It looks like an off-road TA-02 to me and no where near a competition level buggy.
i agree.. the shaft is not placed in the center with can cause some unwanted untunable car momentum swings.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Tech Rookie

the motor isn't mounted in line with the drive shaft so there wont be that much twich from the torque.
also this car is more promising than just an off road ta02 since it has a slipper clutch and an alloy motor mount.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Although it is not a full competition buggy, I think that this buggy will be good for the 4wd class, as it will be a inexpensive introduction to the class for anybody. At the club level it would probably be competitive with a good driver behind the wheel. I think Tamiya is tapping a section of the market which isn't offered right now, entry level competition 4wd. The centralized battery placement will certainly help the chassis acheive a balanced feel, making it easier to drive. I think for higher level of competition (or even high grip tracks) it will not be competitive at all obviously, since it looks to be very heavy. If there is a TRF version in the works though, we know there will be a seriuos new 4wd threat in the works!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

They make pretty durable cars but they havent yet made an offroad car that can compete on a pro level or have they? I dont remember one
Old 02-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Guys,

I am very interested in this car but, Tamiya didn't advance the TB-02 off road chasse. Why would they do it for this vehicle? I can only hope that with the release of ZX-5, Yokomo's new 4wd and others that Tamiya will advance the chasse.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

mantaray2k!!!

i think its a big step in the right direction for tamiya, could be a lethal platform if the TRF gets behind it...
Old 02-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Tamiya's strategy is fairly predictable. Release a basic car, then every 6months or so release hopped-up versions of it, with the last release being a TRF model.

If this car gets released then that is the strategy they follow. They WILL develop this car because they already have a novice type 4wd (Gravel Hound/Rising Storm) - so it makes no sense to design a completely new novice 4wd.

Eventually, this will be their top line 4wd.

It has a lot of great features, such as the very long arm suspension, no chassis overhang front or rear, in-line mounted battery, laterally mounted motor, front and rear shocks mounted inside of their respective axle-lines (for more centralized weight balance and protection).

It is not hard to imagine a TRF version with a carbon composite tub chassis, carbon fibre shock towers, Tamiya's DF02 alloy shocks, titanium turnbuckles etc

The only disadvantage atm seems to be the transmission, but think about it:

You have so much run time in off road that it makes sense to sacrifice a little drive train efficiency in order to get the maximum handing benefit.
That's exactly why Losi has re-released the XX4 - it is the best handing 4wd on the market, and it doesn't matter if it's less efficient when there are no issues with run-time anyway

Tamiya are clearly thinking the same way - design a 4wd for handling ability FIRST, then worry about the drive-train.

I just hope the chassis will accomodate the packs we use in touring cars instead of just stick packs.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Right now the re-released Top Force is Tamiya's most competitive off-road car. A modified Manta Ray (quite a bit like the newer Top Force) won the nats a long time ago so Tamiya has done okay once or twice in off-road.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Found these on RC10B4.com this evening...is this the car in question...?

Last edited by BuckMan; 02-05-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.