Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best stock motor tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Is team Broad some chick that tunes motors? Is she hot?
Chick? Well, you're not far off....

broody
adjective1. physiologically ready to incubate eggs; "a broody hen"

Incubate motors instead?

Seriously though, what is all this cheating with motors lark all about?! Would any top level company and its team drivers consider risking loosing their reputation and being DQ'd???

Of course they wouldnt.

My sponsors expect me to be within the rules at all times, which I do. If anyone asked me to cheat i'd walk straight out the door.

When you have proof of cheating show it to who you feel nessesary, until then just accept there are faster racers out there, or get your car up to pace
Old 06-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Tech Initiate

I rarely buy a pro-tuned motor. I buy a normal one and try to tune it myself. How else is someone going to learn how to properly tune a motor if they always get a pro-tuned motor?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Can one of you motor-tuners explain how to "tune" a motor or maybe post a link to a good website. I thought I knew enough to cut the comm and replace brushes and springs and clean out the can. But as I think about it, if some racer really blew past me with the same motor I always just thought he somehow got lucky and just got a "good motor" ..but maybe not. I don't even like to think people may be cheating...it's such a downer. AND what is cranking a motor?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Buying a blank motor is fine if you have the necessary equipment to tune and balance the armature, me personally I dont have the extra $200+ to get a balancer that would do the job right. edracer1, if you really want to learn how to tune a motor the best place to start would be to read Big Jim's Rc Motor Black Book. Unfortunatly his daughter no longer allows it to be printed since he passed on, but they can be found. Check the sale thread here and on some other forums, or ebay to get it in print, here is a link to the book online http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=126994 There is alot of great information there, also there are multiple threads and magazine articles deticated to motor tuning, I know EA did one for XRC not to long ago. You will need the basic tool to start with, such as a brush hood alignment tool, some bearing and bushing oil, a metal polish for breaking in bushings, spring nut driver, sonic fiddlestick or trinity springthing, break in fan (optional), brushes, a good soldering iron or station, timing jig (optional), and motor dyno (optional).
Old 06-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You arent allowed to rebalance a stock motor anyways so you really dont need a balancing tool.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
You arent allowed to rebalance a stock motor anyways so you really dont need a balancing tool.
Your right not at a ROAR event (and others), I should have been more specific, and said at the club level
Old 06-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

I dont do anything at club level events that I dont do at a big race. Why practice with something you cant race with wherever you go?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

For those that race at big events that is understandable, but you can still do little things without balancing the armature.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

I agree with that but there is nothing I EVER Do to my motors that isnt legal at a big race or at a club race, and none of this takes more than a couple minutes and under 100 dollars. Minus the zapper of course. You need a bushing reamer and a hood aligner. That is all.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
It`s all good ....

I get a bit heated bout all this..

Been 2 year`s sense I raced in a stock class, never will race the class again until I know it becomes a race of equal speed again....

Roar could impose a power limit , but NOOOOO !!!!!

They won`t !!!!

That would only be too easy to do, and make stock a competitive class again...
do i need to go and post the race results from the last two years again, last time didn't work out to good for ya.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

There was a discussion at the track last night, as to if zapping the magnetts actually dose anything because of the type of mangnet that is used in motors. What do you think?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big B
There was a discussion at the track last night, as to if zapping the magnetts actually dose anything because of the type of mangnet that is used in motors. What do you think?
i think there would be, but too much would slow down the motor, and TONS of drag brake

but im goin to order soon... anything i need to do to it when it gets here?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
i think there would be, but too much would slow down the motor, and TONS of drag brake

but im goin to order soon... anything i need to do to it when it gets here?
What did you decide on? If you went with the team broOd Co27 Blueprinted motor, all you need to do is slap it in and run it. After about 15-20 runs you will need to cut the comm, some people will tell you that you need new brushes at this point, but that is not always true. If the brushes are still in good shape and arent burnt they will work just fine, plus they dont need to be broken in cause they are already conformed to the comm
Old 06-02-2007, 04:51 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking

No offense section 8 but I'm not sure if you undrestand...

When you buy a motor from one of these tuners all your getting is a fancy Sticker and to make it look like they tuned the motor they sometimes use there own motor spacers... they cut the com. Woooo big deal!
Have you worked in a tuner shop and actually witnessed how a order is put together? No? Then your statement means nothing.

We do more than just cut the comm. Let's break it down for you; you purchase a Blueprinted Team Brood CO27 from us and your total for the motor is $35.95. $5.95 more than a "Pro" version of the motor from Tower Hobbies. Yes, it's more...but what are you getting for that extra $6?

1) Extra set of brushes. All of our stock motors come with them and that'd cost you another $4.09 at Tower. Oh wait, they don't carry F-Brushes either..so you stuck with buying 4499's at $4/each..

2) Your motor is being hand built by someone who cares...not someone who is mass manufacturing and a step above a day laborer. Not every arm shims the same, and we shim to a specific tune and tolerance. Your buying a motor built by someone who's won national championships...order from Tower and your getting it built by someone who split shifts as a telemarketer..

3) Our guys sit with your motor and run it through the Dyno until it pulls the most it can. It has to meet a specific tolerance to be acceptable ... the Tower Hobbies "Pro" CO27? Well, you get a sticker that tells you it's a dud... They put it together, print the sticker, and ship it out the door. We work the motor until it's at it's best, and if it's a dud it's tossed out instead of being shipped out.

4) Your motor is fresh, when you get it the brushes haven't been pressing against the comm for weeks and weeks warping it. Your motor comes to you only been built a few days before..it's fresh; unlike the pallet loads of product sitting at Tower Hobbies right now currently warping..

Now...if I wasn't a motor builder and wanted to just order up a product that I knew was already the best it could be, something I could just strap in my ride and go racing with...ordering from Tower just wouldn't make sense. It is as if you get to go through and hand pick the very best motor, instead of pulling something at random from a hat.

Special motors for just the team? Another myth...I pull the team orders, I know...in some ways they get less regard than the customer. We pull the team orders from the same pile that regular orders come through, and most often than not they are sent out unbuilt since our motor builder will be building them at the track...no cranking, or tweaking...we don't even have the ability...yeah we can check the timing, mainly so we don't send out a motor that's totally jacked up to the customer.

Finally, I suggest you ring up Tower Hobbies or even Trinity customer support and have a fun time trying to ask them for tuning help...or even email and see where that gets you. We're here to support all of our customers.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Desolas, I can only tell what I know being a person who buys from, talks, and races with the broOd guys. BroOd has a Great Reputation around the track (SIR) for being great motor and battery providers, of course their are always nay-sayers, but they at few and far between. Can't wait to get my ride back on the track so I can run with Trav, will anyone be coming down next Friday?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.