Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First 8ight 2.0 Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Default First 8ight 2.0 Upgrades?

Hello all, i searched but didnt find too much info, and what i did find was all over the place. I was going to post in the 8ight 2.0 forums but i decided against it so i wouldnt interrupt the current conversation going on there. Sooo i wanted to make a thread asking what my first hop ups should be when i purchase my 8ight 2.0 RTR to make it a tad more durable and race ready?

I know I need:
A better steering servo
A fuel line filter

But what else? Thanks everyone for your input .
Old 10-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Other than what you already said , i wouldnt change anything just yet. Go drive it and then make change as to what you think you need or to what breaks.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

a fuel filter on the losi 8ight isnt needed. They already have a filter inside the tank, its just another area where you could get an air leak just my .02.

Upgrades i would get the roller shock towers. Other upgrades arent needed right away unless your just wanting to do it at once. if you are here is my list.

Both Servos
Shock Towers
Shock shafts
Hinge pin
Adjustable hinge pin brace(if you race)

Those are all race roller items. The hinge pin and shock shafts are just coated and they are stronger so they arent 100% needed but they will bend easier. If you race and are able to race this winter on the stock chassis and come summer replace it with the Race roller chassis
Old 10-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Once you replace your servo's I would also replace both servo Horns.

I use the Team Losi Aluminum Steering Horn and the Dynamite DYN2565 Throttle horn.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boomgagem
Once you replace your servo's I would also replace both servo Horns.

I use the Team Losi Aluminum Steering Horn and the Dynamite DYN2565 Throttle horn.
keep the stock throttle horn
Old 10-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
keep the stock throttle horn
I run al servo horns on throttle, no way am I going to use them plastic inserts that strip all the time.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Yeah why do you say keep the stock throttle horn? Is it too much for the servo?
Old 10-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1st - Servos
2nd - Aluminum Shock Caps (I had a problem with my 8ight-T 2.0 RTR with breaking the plastic shock caps)
3rd - Upgrade if it breaks

If you are going to upgrade the shock towers I like the Kingheadz towers. Work awesome for me on my 8ight. I broke the 8ight 2.0 roller front shock tower and replaced it with the Kingheadz and didn't have a problem. It was the first gen 8ight 2.0 shock tower though, I don't know how much the new 8ight 2.0 shock tower is. Personally after getting new servo's and maybe replacing the shock caps with aluminum just run the thing and don't really worry about the upgrading all the time. I placed 2nd in the Canadian Nationals in Electric Open with a stock 8ight-T 2.0 RTR converted to electric. The vehicle can win races out of the box and driving will come into play more then any upgrade. Spend the money on fuel for practice rather then upgrading every part first.

In regards to the servo horns. I do recommend upgrading the steering horn to a Losi Aluminum one. But for the throttle, as long as you have the end points set you shouldn't go through them no matter what servo you have, the amount of pressure to open the carb and apply the brake isn't huge. I haven't had or seen anyone have a problem with the stock throttle horn when set correctly.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boomgagem
Yeah why do you say keep the stock throttle horn? Is it too much for the servo?
ive used the same plastic insert in my throttle for the past 6 months and havent had one problem. i did replace the steering horn to the losi aluminum though
Old 10-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Mush change are the steering servo, alum steering servo horn and losi alum shock caps. I wasted money on the Fioroni shock caps and I dont like them had one leak already. The following are good but not necessary: Alum servo saver top, quick change motor mount, alum top plate. The following will need to be replaced as you break/ bend them: shock towers & chassis. That RTR chassis will not hold up long, but when it bends dont be afraid to put your knee in the middle of it and bend it back. I am not too familiar with the RTR but this is what I see.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

I'm going to be ordering the alum caps and a servo when i order the car i think. Any ideas on a good steering servo anyone?

Thanks .
Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So far, I've changed to aluminum horns steering and throttle (I find no reason to keep the plastic units), purchased the aluminum shock caps (havent installed them as none of the plastic units have failed), installed the Losi quick change engine mount (not sure what makes it any quicker but I wanted the one piece lower to help protect the motor), installed good servos, installed the requisite parts for the 4 shoe clutch, turbo button, and RE11 pipe. Oh, had a problem with the stock receiver so I used it as an excuse to buy a new radio too

I havent had any trouble with the shock towers or chassis. I've had a few nasty looking crashes but nothing has failed with the exception of some bent throttle linkage preventing me from finishing a main TQ and the win last weekend even though I ran out of gas before I got into the pits (little too rich still)
Attached Thumbnails First 8ight 2.0 Upgrades?-raceresults.jpg  
Old 10-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mach Nine
I'm going to be ordering the alum caps and a servo when i order the car i think. Any ideas on a good steering servo anyone?

Thanks .

This is what I use. Been running same two since March with no problems.Great price. Give'm a try.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNRN6&P=ML
Old 10-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mach Nine

Thanks .
I'd start with the servo and aluminum steering horn for the first 2 mods. I love the Hitec 7950; I found them at Discount Hobby Warehouse for $129 in store which is the best price I've seen so far. I do run them off of LiPO (forgot to mention that in the last post).
Old 10-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

TIRES. use the stockers to break engine in and then garbage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.