False Peaking NiMH batteries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

False Peaking NiMH batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

you could have a dud cell in your pack, I got some unmatched 3000 SMH's a year ago and one set always flased peaked and never lasted long enough for a race, even though I thought they had eventually been fully charged because they had heated up. Got them tested and one cell had zero volts in it, sent them back to the suplier and they tested them then replaced the dud cell.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: False Peaking NiMH batteries

Originally posted by Accord
I have 3000mah NiMH batteries and they always false peak! I am using an Associated/LRP Quantum Charger and i'm charging at 3.5 amps and the batteries ALWAYS false peak every 500 to 1000mah, it's ridiculous, I don't think I have ever fully charged a battery on the first attempt before.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks
What is your voltage threshold setting? There is a post on this forum about this charger and false peaking you might want to read. Most of the folks that replied suggested a threshold setting of between 3mv and 5mv -- I use 5mv, but I also test by temperature. So that the packs don't overheat. I also charge at 6amps with my Quantum.

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Herminator
you could have a dud cell in your pack, I got some unmatched 3000 SMH's a year ago and one set always flased peaked and never lasted long enough for a race, even though I thought they had eventually been fully charged because they had heated up. Got them tested and one cell had zero volts in it, sent them back to the suplier and they tested them then replaced the dud cell.
This happens on all of my packs and they are $70 matched Peak Performance cells.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: False Peaking NiMH batteries

Originally posted by kaizen
What is your voltage threshold setting? There is a post on this forum about this charger and false peaking you might want to read. Most of the folks that replied suggested a threshold setting of between 3mv and 5mv -- I use 5mv, but I also test by temperature. So that the packs don't overheat. I also charge at 6amps with my Quantum.

Good luck.
My voltage is set at 5v and I charge at 4v and the packs are heating up bigtime, I can't even put my finger on the pack without burning myself.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Tech Adept

You might send Associated an email from their website about this problem. I had a problem with the Charger giving me a Voltage Reverse error some months ago, emailed them and got a call that day! They diagnosed the proglem over the phone - happened to have been one of my wires came unsoldered - in no time flat. Great customer service!

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Yep, it sounds like it's your charger - send it in, before you damage your cells even more.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
Yep, it sounds like it's your charger - send it in, before you damage your cells even more.
I have two of the same chargers and it happens on both.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:12 AM
Tech Elite

Something has to be really wrong.

How many of those $70 matched Peak Performance do you got? Have you had those problems all the time, are they started gradually, pack by pack?

You need to do some research, to track down where the problem is. Or take alle the packs and both chargers to the LHS and get some assistance there.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Something has to be really wrong.

How many of those $70 matched Peak Performance do you got? Have you had those problems all the time, are they started gradually, pack by pack?

You need to do some research, to track down where the problem is. Or take alle the packs and both chargers to the LHS and get some assistance there.
I've got 5 of the packs and they have done this since I got them.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

I think there's a need for clearing up a couple of things;

First of, I believe your charger must be the Associated / LRP Quadra, since Associated / LRP dont make a charger named Quasar. Correct?

If it's the Quadra you use, that's the reason. The Quadra are only meant for charging NiCd packs. So the Quadra are never meant for charging NiMh cells.

I'm sorry to tell, but the Quadra simply cant detect the correct point to cut-off, while charging NiMh cells.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

I just looked on the label on the back, it's the Reedy Quasar charger which is distributed by Associated, sorry for the mixup.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: False Peaking NiMH batteries

Originally posted by Accord
My voltage is set at 5v and I charge at 4v and the packs are heating up bigtime, I can't even put my finger on the pack without burning myself.
Just want to ensure: You are charging at 4 AMPS and you've set the cut-off to 5 milivolt pr. cell?
Old 04-23-2003, 03:35 AM
Tech Elite

Also, if I've understooded this correct, then you BOTH get false peaks AND your packs gets so hot, that you cant touch them?

If this is the case, do you simply continuing restart the charge? At what voltage do the packs peak and what's the capasity when chargeing stops?

Which power supply do you use? Are all wiring done with thick wires and good connectors?
Old 04-23-2003, 03:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: False Peaking NiMH batteries

Just want to ensure: You are charging at 4 AMPS and you've set the cut-off to 5 milivolt pr. cell?
That is correct, I have also tried charging at anywhere between 3.5 and 5 amps but the same thing happens. I've also tried changing the voltage to 3, 4, 5, and 6 and it still happens, I don't get it!
Old 04-23-2003, 03:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Also, if I've understooded this correct, then you BOTH get false peaks AND your packs gets so hot, that you cant touch them?
That is correct.

If this is the case, do you simply continuing restart the charge? At what voltage do the packs peak and what's the capasity when chargeing stops?
Yes, I just immediately restart charging once they false peak. They false peak on every voltage between 3 and 6, I haven't tried it on 7, i'm not sure if that's good for the battery or not. When it false peaks, the chargers says it has charged anywhere from 600mah to 1500mah, it varies each time.

Which power supply do you use? Are all wiring done with thick wires and good connectors?
I am plugging the charger into a wall, I have tried it at both my house and at the track. The wiring is perfect, i'm using the red Deans connectors with Deans wires and battery bars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.