Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xtreme RC magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
Is anyone answering questions about our old subscriptions. I'm out of pocket for 6 months subscription. No way I'll be paying for a new one with an affilliated or even semi-associated group if my current subscription isn't paid out somehow.
They got me for ten months.

Dave
Old 01-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's sad because XRC was the best written mag in RC. Heads over RCCA (Ad media outlet) and RCD (newb special).
Old 01-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Couldn't agree more. RCCA is almost unreadable, unless you like 100 pages if adds. And RCD is so basic it's insulting to people that have been in the hobby for any amount of time.

RIP XRC, hopefully the new online venture will be as good as the old version.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Derek, I hope that I speak for all of us here on the on-road forums that I hope your new online mag will give better, fairer coverage of on-road cars and racing. The other rc mags have been giving 99% of their coverage to the off-road guys and have virtually ignored on-road with the exception of the occasional token on-road article; and I can't even recall when the last time was that I saw an on-road car as the feature car on the cover of any magazine!

I don't know about any of the other on-road fans on this forum, but that is why I never spend my hard earned money buying any rc mags anymore, because why should I waste my money on mags that don't care about on-road?

I just wanted to get that out for your consideration before I spend any money on your new online magazine.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Tech Addict

Magazines cover what's popular so they can sell more magazines. Onroad is not the new hotness. Even XRC had 50 pages of Traxxas ads. Ads pay the bills for the magazine. Traxxas may be looked down upon by elitist racers like myself, but I give them props for supporting a large segment of this hobby.

Derek, XRC was good and I will miss it. RCCA lost me when they started throwing in articles about boats, hovercraft, and submarines.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry, I don't agree with the idea that the magazines cover what is popular. I think THEY are chiefly responsible for influencing what the public THINKS is popular or in.

I think most of the rc car magazines are populated with people who are closet "play in the dirt with the Tonka trucks" set. That is their favorite thing and that is what they wish to put in the magazines. The manufacturers read these (they are likely closet "play in the dirt sandbox" fans too)and they in turn pump out more and more meaningless copies of off-road vehicles because the public which can be so easily brainwashed just follow along. If you repeatedly say something is great often enough, despite what the facts may prove otherwise, the public will just go along because most are afraid to be different and/or question what is being sold to them. Translation: Keep off-road on the cover and fill 99% of the mag with off-road and the public will fall for it and go buy off-road instead of on-road.

If you are new to the hobby, and month after month you see rc magazines with some off-road vehicle on the cover and barely a mention of on-road, just what would you think would be popular and the way to go to spend your money? The answer is obvious: off-road! Remember, the forum that this thread exists on is called "Electric On-Road"!!

I just know I'm going to get seriously flamed for this.

Last edited by Team Lotus; 01-15-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rysuleod
Traxxas may be looked down upon by elitist racers like myself, but I give them props for supporting a large segment of this hobby.
Large segment as in the bulk of the hobby, racers are the minority.

The bulk of r/c gear sold is never, ever raced.

They know (or knew) their target market, but with the instant gratification factor of the internet it's hard for ant print magazine to survive (unless it can be generic waiting room material.)
Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

The two mags that failed (Xtreme and RC Car) were what I call more "racer" oriented mags.

And who's left standing ? RCCA and Driver. The 2 mags that are chock a block full of ads each month, with not much readable content (imo).

Like it or not, the ads pay the bills, that's why those two are still standing.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The other thing is that when people crap their pants if Liverc or somebody else is not providing instantaneous results for races, how are magazines 3 months behind supposed to keep up? RC50 (among others) has 100x the number of pictures the magazine will have, and they are crazy resolution.

Basically, if you want anything serious about racing, it's on the internet. If you want a 200 page ad flyer with some reviews, you buy car action.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
Sorry, I don't agree with the idea that the magazines cover what is popular. I think THEY are chiefly responsible for influencing what the public THINKS is popular or in.
word
Old 01-16-2012, 04:02 AM
Tech Master

What's a magazine?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Basically, if you want anything serious about racing, it's on the internet. If you want a 200 page ad flyer with some reviews, you buy car action.
Calling them reviews is a bit of a stretch. Reviews have the potential for something negative to be said about a product. The manufacturers might as well write the review for the product themselves and send it in to the magazine with the product to be photographed. When was the last time that you saw a magazine call out a product as being the same thing with new decals and wheels, or admitting that a product was total garbage. I'd love to go back and find the reviews of the Losi Strike- probably touted as a race-bred competitor destined to dominate the short course class. Flip the page after the "review" and there's a 2-page spread for Horizon products.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
Is anyone answering questions about our old subscriptions. I'm out of pocket for 6 months subscription. No way I'll be paying for a new one with an affilliated or even semi-associated group if my current subscription isn't paid out somehow.

I have nothing to do with XRC, nor does this magazine. We are a separate group that was laid off from the company. Me personally over a year and half ago. So I hope you don't take out any anger with your issues with another company on us

I am fairly certain you get another magazine in it's place. And you can call them to get your money back.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AreCee
It's sad because XRC was the best written mag in RC. Heads over RCCA (Ad media outlet) and RCD (newb special).

If you liked the format of XRC our new project is going to be next level. The core of this magazine was responsible for the quality articles in the magazine, and now we are putting this energy into the new magazine and content.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

I hear you. When you print a magazine each page is expensive and if there isn't support for that segment (advertising) you can't add pages.

In our digital format we won't have the limitation of adding pages to add content. So we are on-fans. We do have a Ex-National Champ on-road racer working for us...McMahon.

We will do our best to cover all forms. And yes we will have some race coverage, but I'll be up-front. A magazine can't do live coverage like Live RC, so the actual race coverage of "turn by turn" isn't what we do, we cover the story behind the event.

If you watch F1 like I do you what the race, and F1 Magazine still has coverage.

So the answer is yes, and our Issue is going to be priced at just $1.99 an issue!

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
Derek, I hope that I speak for all of us here on the on-road forums that I hope your new online mag will give better, fairer coverage of on-road cars and racing. The other rc mags have been giving 99% of their coverage to the off-road guys and have virtually ignored on-road with the exception of the occasional token on-road article; and I can't even recall when the last time was that I saw an on-road car as the feature car on the cover of any magazine!

I don't know about any of the other on-road fans on this forum, but that is why I never spend my hard earned money buying any rc mags anymore, because why should I waste my money on mags that don't care about on-road?

I just wanted to get that out for your consideration before I spend any money on your new online magazine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.