Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

Bodyshell Handling Characteristics....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Would just like to ressurrect part of this by saying I ran the PF R9-R for the first time in a few years, and found it a little more aggressive than the LTC-R, but not much less stable.

This was when swapping between bodies with the same setup on cold low/medium grip asphalt.
With conditions and track I was at today I preferred the R9-R

Skiddins
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

What are your experience with Protoform DNA compared to Mazda 6 or Blitz Audi S5? I'm running on a large open outdoor track, with high grip and foams
Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I personally find the P37 a very nice compromise between the LTC-R and S6. I like how it makes the car feel like it turns right over the nose, but isn't hard to drive like the LTC, and tends to stay planted a bit better. The body seems like it gets no love, but every time I put it on my car I feel like it's improved.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I prefer the LTC-R overall. I have tried the R9 but I had a harder time controlling it, that was when I was newer at TC's but haven't wanted to try it again since.

A question I have is how are guys mounting bodies? Do you mount every body the same or would you mount a specific body a certain way over another. For me when I use a Mazda 6S I like to mount it forward of the bumper as I feel it gives me more steering. For the LTC-R I mount a little closer to the bumper and set the wing as far to the rear as I can. Also who cuts out the 4 holes in the wings? I have tried it both cut and uncut and can't ever feel a difference.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

To those of you who have run the R9-R, have you tried raising the wing to see if it aids rear grip?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U
To those of you who have run the R9-R, have you tried raising the wing to see if it aids rear grip?
No as we have to have wings on their original molded 'posts'.

If the grip level isn't consistent for I would run an LTC-R

Skiddins
Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I used to run the R9-R and I don't remembering having any issues with it. We don't usually follow ROAR rules in most races anyway (Except the larger ones), so I may try the body again. I already have two LTCR-Rs and a Speed6 and want to try something else.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I personally find the P37 a very nice compromise between the LTC-R and S6. I like how it makes the car feel like it turns right over the nose, but isn't hard to drive like the LTC, and tends to stay planted a bit better. The body seems like it gets no love, but every time I put it on my car I feel like it's improved.
I have to agree with you. Car feels very stable with this body and very direct. I did test out the mazda 6 (i think its just the normal one) and found the car to be more twitchy but it could be that I was just starting out and still working on setup.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andy w
I prefer the LTC-R overall. I have tried the R9 but I had a harder time controlling it, that was when I was newer at TC's but haven't wanted to try it again since.

A question I have is how are guys mounting bodies? Do you mount every body the same or would you mount a specific body a certain way over another. For me when I use a Mazda 6S I like to mount it forward of the bumper as I feel it gives me more steering. For the LTC-R I mount a little closer to the bumper and set the wing as far to the rear as I can. Also who cuts out the 4 holes in the wings? I have tried it both cut and uncut and can't ever feel a difference.
Body mounting position is very important IMO. For me, the LTC-R likes to be mounted back with the wing pushed back as far as tech will allow. The R9R needs the same rearward mounting or it oversteers like crazy at speed. Never had much luck with the P37, just feels weird to me. Best overall body IMO is still the PF speed 6 mounted 3-5 mil off the bumper (neutral).
Old 04-25-2013, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I'm also (apparently one of the few) who prefers the LTC-R. The P37 and R9R both do not do well on our smaller indoor carpet track, and most are running the Speed 6 or the LTC-R. The LTC-R feels better to me, but I have also spent the most time setting up the car with it. Steering is good on and off power, while I have no problems with rear grip. It does feel less stable to me then the Mazda, but my car in general prefers gentle inputs, so it seems to suit my driving style more.

I am not sure I have ever seen someone out here with the Subraru or Audi bodies, and have not seen a DNA in a while.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

I'll also now add the Mon-Tech and Ride Subaru bodies to this list.

I've now tried the Nazda 4, Nazda 3.0 (No, that is their name) and Ride Subaru body.

The Nazda 4 is aggressive, more than the LTC-R which was the most aggressive body I had today so couldn't compare directly to the R9 etc.
I was told by a top 17.5 blinky driver that on his small tight carpet track this body was excellent and allowed him to carry a lot of cornerspeed.

The Nazda 3.0 is safer, just slightly more aggressive than the Speed 6 (this was my fastest body today)

The Ride Subaru is strange, it seemed to have slightly softer turn in than the Speed 6, but more mid-corner steering.

http://www.mon-techracing.net/

These were run today using 13.5 boosted on a medium sized technical asphalt track - http://www.wlrc.co.uk

The effects might differ when running Mod but I intend to try the Nazda 3.0 in Mod in a weeke or two (currently run the Speed 6 in mod as I need to stability.)
Old 01-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Any update Skiddins? How have you found the durability on the mon-tech shells compared to protoform?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Conrad
Any update Skiddins? How have you found the durability on the mon-tech shells compared to protoform?
Thought about adding to this thread just the other day

The Nazda 3 has virtually become my standard body outdoors and is still in one piece. Only tried it a couple of times on carpet, and so far it appears to be OK.
On carpet the Nazda 4 just swaps ends far too easily, although I do know an Mi5 driver who uses one on carpet to good effect. He must have a safest setup on earth to get away with it.

I'm adding the Blitz TSX to the list.
This was run at the Autosports show in the UK in some Reedy style races. They were the handout body so we all had them.
In high grip they were good on carpet and stable.
When I tried it at my local carpet club (lower grip and colder temps), where a PF Speed6 feels very good, the TSX felt too aggressive, it had more steering and gave the same fastest laps, but the rear was too loose for my liking so I had to be far more careful when driving it.

Skiddins
Old 01-30-2014, 08:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Thought about adding to this thread just the other day

The Nazda 3 has virtually become my standard body outdoors and is still in one piece. Only tried it a couple of times on carpet, and so far it appears to be OK.
On carpet the Nazda 4 just swaps ends far too easily, although I do know an Mi5 driver who uses one on carpet to good effect. He must have a safest setup on earth to get away with it.
:thumbsup:
Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Ok, now adding the Bittydesign Nardo and PF Mazda6 GX

Both these have only been tested at my local outdoor asphalt track, medium size, medium grip.

The PF Mazda6 GX lacks some of the turn in I like compared with the LTC-R and Nazda 3.
It also felt a little twitchy out of the corners. It was drivable but not as nice to drive as I would like.
I have been told by someone who has tried it at another UK asphalt track (Costwold, which is larger, faster and more open) that it felt good there, but he also wasn't impressed with it at my track.
Sounds like it might be a very 'track specific' body
Will try it on carpet soon.

Bittydesign Nardo
This body felt very similar to the Nazda 3, perhaps slightly less aggressive than the LTC-R but was certainly quite stable.
Need to try it back to back with the LTC-R for a direct comparison.

Of, all my bodies so far, my favourites are the Montach Nazda 3 (which has good turn in outdoors and is slightly more aggressive than a Speed6 on carpet) and the Bittydesign Nardo which seems very good on asphalt so far.

Skiddins

P.S. Just remembered, there is a large discrepancy in the wing mounting positions for the Mazda6 GX. If you use the dimples on the body to line a wing up, the wing will stick out the back more on one side than the other.
THe raised sections of the body that the wing mounts to are not even at all. Measure when mounting, don't assume things are correct.

Last edited by Skiddins; 03-19-2014 at 06:42 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.