Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WesRaven
I'd love to have something like this as well. Even when just considering the basic stuff, there's simply too much to remember (for me at least).

Fortunately for the most part suspension geometry doesn't really change, and the same concepts can be applied to all cars. I still reference my old TC3 tuning guide at the track and find it helpful to remind me of the fundamentals.

For more in-depth understanding I have been reading this site a lot and found it extremely helpful: http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

-Wes
those are good options. i've also been using the XXX Main book, and then the Setup Workbench app(s) from Martin Crisp. the theories are *mostly* right w/in the book/app -- but you'll always want to test the specific settings for yourself.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

After a couple weeks of working on the cars we have found a nice baseline setup that feels good, is fast, and most of the drivers can get there head around. If it works for anyone that is great..

http://youtu.be/zOexqCdY3SA
Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-mmrevobase.jpg  

Last edited by ammdrew; 03-05-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ammdrew
After a couple weeks of working on the cars we have found a nice baseline setup that feels good, is fast, and most of the drivers can get there head around. If it works for anyone that is great..

I can't seem to read the downstop and comments sections as the text is small, but other than that, it looks good. Mind listing those? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have a question in regards to setting the dampers, in your experience is this normal for the awesomatix to have more rate in the rear?
Old 03-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by RC Professor
I can't seem to read the downstop and comments sections as the text is small, but other than that, it looks good. Mind listing those? Thanks.
6 on hudy blocks measured at the end of the arm on the carbon flat bottom
Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by b20btec
I have a question in regards to setting the dampers, in your experience is this normal for the awesomatix to have more rate in the rear?
From what I have seen and from how the car is working I have to say yes that seems to be the case. I know on Gee, and Burt's setups from the birds they both tend to be similar. Not sure if the calculation is correct as the pdf does that automatically.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

From what I have seen and from how the car is working I have to say yes that seems to be the case. I know on Gee, and Burt's setups from the birds they both tend to be similar. Not sure if the calculation is correct as the pdf does that automatically.
Ok, thanks for responding.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

This looks suspiciously a lot like my snowbirds setup

Yes. Pretty much all touring cars are softer in the front than the rear. Some guys run a softer rear than the front, but I think you need a very particular driving style for that.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by geeunit1014

Yes. Pretty much all touring cars are softer in the front than the rear. Some guys run a softer rear than the front, but I think you need a very particular driving style for that.
Man i'm all messed up. All of my TC setups with other brands I usually like more dampening up front. To be honest I've never tried it any other way, maybe that's why i'm slightly slower than everyone else. Never too old to learn I suppose.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by WesRaven
I understand there will be some gap, which is why I'm wondering what offset of wheel people are running to compensate. I'm probably going with 6mm all the way around, but curious what other people's experience is before I place the order. Thanks guys.
Man i'm all messed up. All of my TC setups with other brands I usually like more dampening up front. To be honest I've never tried it any other way, maybe that's why i'm slightly slower than everyone else. Never too old to learn I suppose.
You probably never took into account the leverage difference, front and rear, shock mounting point on arm and angle. I bet if you measured your setups they would be softer in front, just thicker fluid and or spring
Old 03-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JayL
You probably never took into account the leverage difference, front and rear, shock mounting point on arm and angle. I bet if you measured your setups they would be softer in front, just thicker fluid and or spring
I do, I generally aim for a stiffer front setup. This is good information because it really did never occur to me to go the other way.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Company Representative

It should that was the best start point of the setups I could find. I needed a little more linear rear of the car for a base. And having some more camber gain and toe with less caster helped that a lot. I was not really any faster or slower just more neutral which makes for me a much better base setup to work from.

Having a base neutral setup was the hardest part I found about the coming to the Evo from other chassis. Unlike most others we don't have a book setup to start from. So from the outside looking in everybody is drastically in different directions. Hell we don't even really have a manual to build it from. lol
Old 03-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The thing to realize is that just because the shocks were the same front to rear on a typical car did not mean the damping and spring rates were the same, due to the cars geometry. The same oil and spring f/r on a typical car would have less spring and damping in the front. With our car being the same geometry f/r, the front requires a softer setup to make the same feeling. You would have to run significantly stiffer in the front than the rear on a typical car to even make the front stiffness close to the rear.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The thing to realize is that just because the shocks were the same front to rear on a typical car did not mean the damping and spring rates were the same, due to the cars geometry. The same oil and spring f/r on a typical car would have less spring and damping in the front. With our car being the same geometry f/r, the front requires a softer setup to make the same feeling. You would have to run significantly stiffer in the front than the rear on a typical car to even make the front stiffness close to the rear.
+1
Old 03-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So with all this setup talk, has anyone found a setup guide for this car? It would be a handy document to have at the track. If there isn't one maybe you should all create one as a sticky here. It would do all of us a lot of good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.