Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Club Forums > Jewish Racers
Shabbat: is it Ok to race on Shabbat & Holidays >

Shabbat: is it Ok to race on Shabbat & Holidays

Shabbat: is it Ok to race on Shabbat & Holidays

Old 04-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking Shabbat: is it Ok to race on Shabbat & Holidays

What do think about racing during Shabbat(Friday evening to Saturday night, 7th day of the week)? If yes, why? If not, why?
Old 05-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

I think it's fine any night of the week.

(If yes why?)

Because I enjoy racing (life is to enjoy) and would rather be out than watch Friday night TV - I do prefer carpet racing though as opposed to slippy floor with minipins. Of course outdoor tarmac racing on a Friday/Saturday night would be ideal but not possible for most of the year, perhaps in the summer with the late nights, we'll see.

(If not why?)

I guess the only reason I wouldn't go racing on Shabbat is if we're entertaining friends at the house and watching a film or if there was a work night out with free drink.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Talking

Before the seventh day of the week was called “Saturday,” it already had a name: Shabbat. “Shabbat” means “rest.” On Saturday, the Torah says that a Jew should not do certain activities. Why? Read on.

When G-d created the universe, He did it in six 24-hour days. At the end of the sixth day, everything was complete and tranquil and pristine and perfect and natural. No downtowns. No cell phones. Environmentalist, Utopian Nirvana. Just like a camping trip in Yellowstone. That seventh day was the first Shabbat in history. So in a way, Shabbat means retreating back to that state of existence on a weekly basis, dropping the world for a dose of something different. If Shabbat sounds like a vacation to you, you’re on the right track: it is—for the soul. Read on.

Shabbat is an affirmation that G-d exists and created all that we see and therefore there must be purpose and harmony, Point A and Point B, to this universe. All week long, one might do whatever, but come Shabbat, he must declare, “Life has Meaning!” in a most tangible, impactful way—by stopping all work. That’s the significance of the work prohibition.

A. The Torah says, "Do not perform melachah on Shabbat." Melachah means work. But what's "work?" The melachot (plural for labors in Hebrew), are the 39 categories of action that the Torah interprets as work that may not be performed on Shabbat.

B. When the Torah was given, our ancestors were a large pack of nomadic desert denizens--the original millions of Wandering Jews. It was less than two months after the massive Exodus from Egyptian slavery when Moshe (Moses)-came down Mt. Sinai with the Torah, containing the charge to keep Shabbat. "Don't work on Shabbat!" charged the Torah. "But we don't work anyway," rejoined the Jews. "This is the desert, remember? Nobody has a job here!" At that point, Moses stepped in and pointed out that work was done: the multifaceted efforts made to construct the Mishkan--the portable, collapsible Tabernacle that moved with the camp from place to place. He explained that work associated with Mishkan-making was what the Torah meant by "work," and that these things should not be done on Shabbat from then till eternity. And so it remained.

C. Each of the 39 melachot break down into subcategories called tuldot (pronounced TOOL-dote), which means offspring. Because of their "children," the 39 melachot are also referred to as av melachot, meaning father categories.

OK, but what are they?

1. Don't eat your Wheaties

The first 11 of the 39 concern that indispensable staple of life--bread, since bread was baked on a weekly basis in the Mishkan(Tabernacle). Since the bread tree has yet to be genetically engineered, various things must be done to bring forth bread from dirt: planting wheat, plowing the field, reaping grown wheat stalks, binding sheaves of wheat, threshing, winnowing, sifting kernels, grinding, sifting flour, kneading dough, and finally, baking. Any and all of the above are Shabbat no-nos. But since most of us are not farmers, it's unlikely that you'll find yourself doing any of these over the Shabbat. However, there are many "tuldot"(sub that originate in these 11 prohibitions.

2. Man makes the clothes...

In the Miskhan, richly colored, ornately decorated and intricately woven materials were the fabric of daily life: the priests' uniforms, the exquisite cloth partitions, and the giant leather and cloth sheets that served as a multi-layer roof. Preparing these textiles involved the next 13 melachot: shearing, bleaching, combing and dyeing wool; spinning and weaving thread/yarn, making two loops (as an anchor on which to base material); sewing two threads together, separating two threads, tying a knot, loosening a knot, sewing two stitches (to attach sections of material), and tearing (other threads or material) in order to sew two stitches. Though stupendous be thy sartorial skills, sorry, they'll have to sit Shabbat out.

3. ...and the leather too..

Our textual tour through the creation of the Mishkan takes us to the Desert Leather Factory, where the Jews of old created portions of the Mishkan's roof out of animal hides. Making leather and parchment entails seven steps, which make up Melachot Nos. 25-31: trapping deer, slaughtering it; and flaying, salting, curing, scraping and cutting its hides. Today, this translates into no weekend deer or duck huntin' out in them thar backwoods, and no leatherworking, on the Day of Rest.

4. Work? Out

The remaining eight Melachot comprise the bulk manual labors that manual labor is comprised of--when you're a working person, you can't avoid the following, and neither could the Mishkan-makers: writing two letters, erasing (old text) in order to write two letters, extinguishing a flame, igniting a flame, striking with a hammer, and carrying (an object) from one domain to another. Today, you can't avoid these either; the tuldot originating from these eight have been interpreted by Halachic authorities to prohibit much of work as we know it. Among the most prominent tuldot issuing from this block of melachot are the prohibitions of using a writing instrument (source: "writing two letters"), driving (source: "igniting a flame," as in your car's combustion engine), and carrying your briefcase out your front door and down the street (source: "carrying from one domain to another").

To be continued....
Old 05-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

Last edited by Dan415ms; 05-06-2007 at 09:09 AM. Reason: goodbye
Old 05-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Talking Electricity and Shabbat

Now, lighting a fire/flame on the Shabbat is one of the fobidden labors, as explained earlier in the above post. Using electricity is one of the categories of work under lighting a flame/heating on Shabbat. For example, by turning the lights on in your car/house on Shabbat, you are creating a new flame/ fire right there in your home--there are sparks of fire created by the electricity. This applies to staring you car on the Shabbat. You cause the starter to spark and create new sparks of flame/fire to ingnite your cars combustion engine...The same applies to RC cars. By turning on your M11 or 3PK, you are turning on lights, same for your ESC, etc. Same applies to nitro rc's.

Remember: Working on Shabbat... means doing creative acts that manipulate nature... When G-d rested on the seventh day... He rested in the sense that He ceased creating. Nothing new was formed or credted or borught into being. We must do the same.

Yet another reason has to do with cooking: The electricity heats the filament in the bulb to the point of changing it, which is considered 'cooking/heating metal', which is the work done by smiths, etc.

Remember, working on Shabbos does not mean doing strenuous labor. It means doing creative acts that manipulate nature. That's what is not allowed on Shabbat. For this reason its not permitted according to Torah to race rc's or other electrical objects. That's why observant Jews cannot run on Shabat, since in doing so, we would be disrespecting G-d and the laws of the resting on Shabbat. That's why we race during the week, especially during Sundays, the first day of the week, according to the Creator, and thats how we roll...
Old 05-12-2007, 10:44 PM
DKB
Tech Adept

As a Christian man with Israeli heritage (I think??) I have been looking into the Shabbat. Please could you give me an opinion regarding the below text.. Iam aware you may not believe Jesus is the Christ but for my own learning please give an opinion..

Mat 12:1 At that season Jesus went on the sabbath day through the grainfields; and his disciples were hungry and began to pluck ears and to eat.
Mat 12:2 But the Pharisees, when they saw it, said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which it is not lawful to do upon the sabbath.
Mat 12:3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was hungry, and they that were with him;
Mat 12:4 how he entered into the house of God, and ate the showbread, which it was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them that were with him, but only for the priests?
Mat 12:5 Or have ye not read in the law, that on the sabbath day the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are guiltless?
Mat 12:6 But I say unto you, that one greater than the temple is here.
Mat 12:7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I desire mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
Mat 12:8 For the Son of man is lord of the sabbath.
Mat 12:9 And he departed thence, and went into their synagogue:
Mat 12:10 and behold, a man having a withered hand. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath day? that they might accuse him.
Mat 12:11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be of you, that shall have one sheep, and if this fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
Mat 12:12 How much then is a man of more value than a sheep! Wherefore it is lawful to do good on the sabbath day.
Mat 12:13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thy hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, as the other.
Mat 12:14 But the Pharisees went out, and took counsel against him, how they might destroy him.
Mat 12:15 And Jesus perceiving it withdrew from thence: and many followed him; and he healed them all
Old 05-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

You've got some good points yyhayyim. For us it's still a difficult subject, but for Jews in Israel, it's much simpeler. RC Racing is car racing on a smaller scale. And every way of car racing is prohibited for Israeli. So for a lot of people this discussion had ended. But whe are still with the problem. But it's not only with RC racing that there are problems with Shabbat. I'm not really religious, but if I were it would be really difficult to find a job for me here in Holland. Most jobs for students my age are in either stores or restaurants. And both want you to work on saturdays and in bars/pubs also on fridaynight.

But I'm getting a bit off-topic. Most of the time I don't have a lot of choice, the races most of the time are either 2 day races or sunday races with practise on saturdays. So I have to race on a lot of saturdays...
Old 05-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Talking

[QUOTE=DKB]As a Christian man with Israeli heritage (I think??) I have been looking into the Shabbat. Please could you give me an opinion regarding the below text..
Mat 12:1 At that season Jesus went on the sabbath day through the grainfields; and his disciples were hungry and began to pluck ears and to eat.
The first pblm is, that for shabat, one is supposed to prepare one's food and needs by the 6th day of the week(friday), before sundown, so that one's meals, and clothing, house, etc, be prepared, clean and ready for use during Shabat, since all of these things are acts forbidden on the 7th day of rest. (see posts above). This version of what happened according to Matthew reveals that at least the disciples did not prepare for the Shabat during the week, and thus had no place to stay for the Sabbath, nor took care to make sure they had at least the customary 3 meals in honor of the Sabath-

Second, its forbidden to "pluck ears" on Shabat. This is an outright labor, that could have easily been avoided by preparing oneself accordingly during the week. Why would they do this? It seems like they didn't know this was forbidden, which means they didnt have a basic knowlege of the laws of Torah and or Shabbat- which could happen if they werent raised by religius parents and thus didnt give them proper education. Or, they just didnt follow the law, not worring about properly preparing for the holy day, which is a sin in itself, thus paid for it by putting themselves in such a sitation which led them to violate Shabbat.

Mat 12:2 But the Pharisees, when they saw it, said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which it is not lawful to do upon the Sabbath.
The other Rabbis did the right thing by pointing this out to the disciples Rabbi first...its one of G-d's commandments to correct and call someone's attention when they are about to do something wrong or doing something wrong...no pblm here(see Lev. 19)

Will continue with the rest soon....
Old 05-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Talking

Originally Posted by Rick Thomson
You've got some good points yyhayyim. For us it's still a difficult subject, but for Jews in Israel, it's much simpeler. RC Racing is car racing on a smaller scale. And every way of car racing is prohibited for Israeli. So for a lot of people this discussion had ended. ...
Rick: Yes, its tough for us Jews who love the sport and races are held on Saturdays. However, in Israel, I know that RC clubs dont open on Saturdays. Races are held on other days of the week, specially Sundays. Maybe there are some "outlaw" clubs run by secular non-religius Israelis. That's not the norm, however. Fellow Jewish observant racers dont race, nor care to Race on Saturdays anyways, so its not an issue for us. We just race on Sundays or other days...for non-jews, its not an issue, since G-d doesnt require you to keep the Shabbat as Jews are commanded to so by G-d in the Torah. You guys can keep the Shabat as a day of worship or rest, but you dont have to keep all its laws- so RC racing would be Ok for our non-jewish fellow men/women.

But whe are still with the problem. But it's not only with RC racing that there are problems with Shabbat. I'm not really religious, but if I were it would be really difficult to find a job for me here in Holland. Most jobs for students my age are in either stores or restaurants. And both want you to work on saturdays and in bars/pubs also on fridaynight....
I'd recommend speaking with your local Rabbi. These are issues we all have to deal with, even in the USA. Trust me, its not an issue at all. You can easily be a good observant Jew and keep Shabat- you just need correct advice on how to get this done...

But I'm getting a bit off-topic. Most of the time I don't have a lot of choice, the races most of the time are either 2 day races or sunday races with practise on saturdays. So I have to race on a lot of saturdays...
You're not getting off topic- that's what the forum is for. You do have a choice- you are not obligated to race on during Shabbat- maybe you can talk w/ the race directors- that's what I did locally, and in the end, everyone agreed to it. Oval-offroad on Saturdays, and TC on Sundays...Thank G-d.

Also, make sure you speak with your local Rabbi- they are most knowlegable with the laws and customs of your country and how to live in your area according to Torah- you'll be surprised how easy it can be. If you need a contact let me know, later...
Old 05-16-2007, 03:56 AM
DKB
Tech Adept

Smile Thanks

Thanks I look forward to the rest of the lesson.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

as i respect any choice a man or woman makes pertaining to life and religion i will say this... we as humans who are of course free because it is our god given right should be able to decide what it is we can and cant do, at the same time we must respect each other and with that said if im a christian or catholic or jew i will respect what i've learned but i will adapt ... key word here is adapt!!! to todays standards. when we go race we are not at work right? it is in a way a fun and relaxing day where we can spend time with friends and or family which yohan i consider you family because we are of the same creator you are my brother my friend and my heavenly source of positive influence. now im not saying to go racing every single saturday because we do need to share our time but it should be ok to go out every once in awhile. i hope i said something good here and i hope i can see you more saturdays for racing so i can kick your butt with my trf416we acere!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Rookie

If I am not mistaken, God created the Shabot (the Sabath) for man, not the other way around. You can do with the Sabath what you want. It was created by God for man so that he may have a day to rest. If you chose not to rest on the Seventh day as God did when he created the Universe then thats up to you. You have not sinned in God's eyes, but I will say this...

It would be who of you to rest one day a week because if you dont your body will get tired and you will eventually get burned out.

This is why God created the Sabath for man and not the other way around. So that we may rest and recoup one day a week, so that we can spend time with our families and enjoy a day to ourselves and relax. This way we can start a new work week refreshed and recharged, but if you want to work on the Sabath God will not be mad at you. As Jesus said, man is lord of the sabath and God created the sabath for man not man for the sabath. Do with it what you want. Plus I dont consider racing work. Racing is how I like to relax and unwind. :-)

Last edited by glarepro; 10-22-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by glarepro
If I am not mistaken, God created the Shabot (the Sabath) for man, not the other way around. You can do with the Sabath what you want. It was created by God for man so that he may have a day to rest. If you chose not to rest on the Seventh day as God did when he created the Universe then thats up to you. You have not sinned in God's eyes, but I will say this...
Hello Ken,

Nowhere in the Torah is there anything saying that G-d created Shabat for man, and that therefore you can do what you please on that day, etc. The Torah, where we find G-d's teaching, instructions, advice, commandments, etc., says where clearly the following:

"Remember the Shabat (day of rest) to sanctify it. For six days you will work, and complete all of your work. But on the seventh day, a day of "shabat"(rest) dedicated to YHVH your G-d; you will not do any sort of work- not you, nor your son, your daughter, your male servant, female servant, your animals, or convert within your gates...for in six days YHVH your G-d created the heavens and the earth, the seasand all that is in them, but He rested on the seventh day. For this reason has YHVH your G-d blessed the day of rest, and made it holy. (Exodus 20:4)

"Carefuly safeguard Shabat (the day of rest) to keep it holy, as YHVH your G-d has commanded you..." (Deut. 5:12)

There's many more verses we can look at, but these should be enough for now. From we see that the day of rest was not made for man. It was created and set aside by G-d himself, as He took this day to rest after working on creating everything during the six days of creation. He purposely created and worked during the six days, and chose to stop work, and make the seventh day, a day of rest from work/creation. The seventh day, the day of shabat (rest), and the reason and purpose behind it, was created by G-d, for himself, and this leads to the next point...

as part of the covenant with the Jewish people, G-d then commands the Jewish people to also keep G-d's custom of resting on the 7th day, as the above verses state. He asks that the Jewish people remember and safeguard the holiness and sanctity of the Shabat, the 7th day, the day of rest, and that we are not to do any kind of work on the day of rest, nor allow any else under our care like our children, servants, maidservents, animals, etc., to do any type of work under our watch, to ensure the 7th day is a day of disconnect from the work activities of the 6 days of work. Why? The verses re-iterate that we are to do so because G-d rested and ceased all manner of work after the six days, and rested on the seventh, and we are to do the same...again, it's for G-d's honor, and a day dedicated to remember Him and all wonders and beauty of all His creation, and take time to appreciate His love and kindness through this gift, the gift of creation, of we are a part of.
So according to G-d's words, It has nothing to do with "man", nor is it a day we can do what we "please". We have 6 days to work and complete all our work, dreams, plans, etc., but the 7th day, we are to stop, and focus on G-d and his kindness, and take the day off to put our work/ambitions, desires, and plans asside, and be grateful to G-d for all the blessings we have, and that's why the day is a holiday...it's sacred, set appart, different, from the rest of the days...

You've also stated that if someone chooses to not obey G-d's command, ignore His teaching, and instead do what he wants, that such a person is not sinning...

sorry my friend...it is a sin. A sin is concious act contrary to G-d's law or teaching. G-d is forgiving, for those who unwittingly or unknowingly are not keeping his laws or teachings, and very, very patient with those who rebel against His laws or commandments, but this doesn't mean He will not correct or let things go. As any good Father who love their children, He will correct and discipline, and sometime this can hurt, but its for our own good.

Some sins/transgressions are require harsher punishments than others, depending of the level of transgression, and which commandment was violated, etc.

The Shabat, is one of the holiest commandments we have, and it is a day blessed by G-d, and sanctified by Him as a day for rest from all work day labor and activities, as explained. The blessings of resting on the 7th day are many, spiritually and materially, for our souls and body, since its a day such a high degree of holiness...however, the punishment handed out to those who willfully choose to not reverence and sanctify this most holy of days, and insted to what is pleasing in their own eyes, is severe...

Let's see what the TOrah says about such an arrogant attitude; In Numbers Chapter 15, the Torah tells us about someone who thought he could do what he pleased on the 7th day,

"While the Israelites were in the desert, they discovered a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath. The ones who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses, Aaron and the entire community. Since it was not specified what must be done to him, they placed him under guard. And G-d said to Moses, 'That man must die. Let the entire community pelt him with stones outside the camp.' The entire community took him outside the camp, and they pelted him to death with stones. It was done as God had commanded Moses...You will then not stray after your heart and eyes, which [in the past] have led you to immorality. You will thus remember and keep all My commandments, and be holy to your God. I am God your Lord, who brought you out of Egypt to be your God. I am God your Lord "(Numbers 15:32-41)

Not a pretty end for the one who decided to disrespect G-d and disobey, by doing what he wanted to do...this individual had no respect for G-d or the holiday of rest, and chose to go out and gather/carry wood, which is a type of labor done during the 6 days of the week, to build, as carpenters, construction, loggers, etc., and we are not to do these type of labors on the holy dayy of rest. He had plenty of time during the week to log, but instead went ahead with his own ideas...which cost him his life, sadly.

When G-d says something is holy and sacred...man, He means business. It's not wise to denigrate or demean G-d's instructions concerning the 7th day.

Last edited by yyhayyim; 10-23-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Rookie

yyhayyim,

I think you are missing the point my brother. You need to understand that there is the spirit of the law and there is the letter of the law. The spirit of God's law is obviously God. At some point you have to ask yourself, "Why did God outline to us the importance of the Sabath?"

I did not say that it is not a sin to disobey God. Obviously, disobeying God is clearly a sin. What I am saying is, Racing R/C on the Sabath is not disobeying God. Racing is not work, its Rest & Relaxation. Racing is not work, bathing is not work, eating is not work, walking is not work, feeding your kids is not work. Ask a breast feeding mother how much hard work it is to feed and to take care of their infant child. They will tell you that it is ALOT of hard work. So because taking care of their baby is hard work, they should not feed or take care of their child just because it is the Sabath?? Please, lets not get God's law twisted here. According to your description of work I should not even utter a word on the Sabath because that would be considered work too. Maybe I should not even say my prayers on the Sabath either. The point I am making is this. You are incorrect in saying that God did not create the Sabath for man, because that means that you are saying that God created man for the Sabath and how silly does that sound. I think instead of following the traditions of man you should pray to God to give you the wisdom and the answer to your original question. As for me, I will always take at least one day out of my week to rest, relax, be with my family, and have fun. If that means Racing R/C then I will do it, if it means staying home and vegging in front of the tv I'll do that, if it means playing baseball then I will do that regardless of the fact that its friday or saturday. I dont consider any of those things to be work, and if I had to actually work on the Sabbath, for whatever reason, I know God will understand my reasons for working and forgive me. God knows my heart and thats all that matters.

I would also like to add a passage from the Torrah which is God's original commandment to man regarding the Sabath because I do beleive in keeping the Sabbath...
Exodus 20:8-11
"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."

By the way, my Hebrew name is Hayyim also. It means Life.

Last edited by glarepro; 10-25-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Last edited by glarepro; 10-25-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.