Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is wrong with Ultimate hobbies???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Thanks JK for the 411, I will pass the word along. take care of that cold.....cough, cough.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sickboy
Speedtech is by far the best shop. I give them first shot at all of my business. If you go to Ultimate, make sure you ask for Paul or Gary. Most of the other guys are completely useless.
As far as some employees not being familiar with your brand, think about how many different rc companys are out there. Nobody is going to know everything about every product.
If you are on this site, you obviously have a computer. Do yourself and evryone else a favor and look up the part numbers that you need before you head down to your local spot.

This is very good advise as most rc hobby stores are quite organized and
having the part numbers greatly speeds up the process of finding the items
you want if not manually then by store inventory via the store's computer.

It favors you as you get what you want faster. It favors everyone else as the
store people can then quickly attend to the others who need help.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Tech Regular

Good point don74.......I think most of us RCers get part #'s prior to the trip to the local hobby shop........ But in general, a first timer to the hobby, green as can be, has no clue on what to ask for, what is needed, etc.

In ulticrap hobbies case, when you have a question, nobody is there to help, or they are just DAMN lazy, busy, and dont care about you the CASH PAYING CUSTOMER. And when you finally get helped, the person helping you is pissed because you pulled him away from counting how many pink shock springs are on the wall.

Last edited by Seven1Four; 11-26-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

WOW!!! I too live only a two minute walk from Ultimate Hobbies and am pretty surprised to read so many negative comments about the store. They have one guy who is always grumpy but really knows his stuff the rest of the staff has always been great to me and I am in there a lot, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. I could relate countless stories of their staff bending over backward to help me in different situations. Once of the most note worthy was when they sold us a nitro motor that ended up not fitting the application. We did not realize it would not work until we had cut the shaft on the motor so it could not be returned. To make up for it the employee gave us a much higher quality and priced motor out of his personal stock, and then a week later when we walked in he told us of a mod he had found to make the motor we bought work. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind but Ultimate has been great to me and I will continue to shop there.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Too Funny

When I first started in RC around 2000 to 2001 Ultimate Hobbies was at a smaller location on Tustin Avenue. I used to think that since I was new to the sport they were giving me the rookie treatment for my lack or knowledge. It is hilarious that customer service at that store is so bad that someone started a post about it!

Over the course of the next year or so I visited the store often to buy parts. I learned the store was family owned and operated. I used to wait 10 to 15 minutes for help. The worst of all was the owners brother... Attitude and condescending tone... he could care less about you or anyone else.

I would stand at the counter and watch the sales staff walk by me several times without any acknowledgment whatsoever. They were not even helping customers... they were just walking around! Sometimes they would look at me and see me waiting and just walk away. I walked out of the store disgusted several times without any parts.

I was always friendly trying to get on their good side hoping they would treat me like the loyal customer I was.

I finally stopped going there. Then last year visited their new, larger location. Most of the "family" was not working the floor anymore. The staff is now younger kids with some knowledge. No complaints on my last visit. I did notice the store is not as busy as it used to be.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hank (owner) is a traditional japanese business man. He knows how to run that place really well. I mean where else can you buy car kits for cheaper than Ultimate?

You gotta remember it's family owned. They don't give a crap about customer service. And don't blame the service on the staff, they dont get paid enough to give everyone VIP service.

As grumpy as Moto can be, he's one of the nicest guy and you know he's got the RC knowledge.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

As grumpy as Moto can be, he's one of the nicest guy and you know he's got the RC knowledge
LOL you have to hate Moto before you can learn to love him,,,no question he knows his stuff though.

I have gotten to know most if not all of the family from Hank and his wife to his son and two daughters. They have always treated me well and recently hired my son so I have to admit I have some bias in their favor. I have a hard time seeing the negative view point on the store because I have spent so much time there and only had positive experiences for the most part. They have been in business for over 20 years so they must be doing something right.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

They get paid to provide a service plain and simple. The pay was no mystery when they accepted the position so it shouldn't be an issue. If it was they should have declined the job offer. The bottom line is they are shitty workers and will always be shitty no matter how much they get paid.

Originally Posted by 5zigen
Hank (owner) is a traditional japanese business man. He knows how to run that place really well. I mean where else can you buy car kits for cheaper than Ultimate?

You gotta remember it's family owned. They don't give a crap about customer service. And don't blame the service on the staff, they dont get paid enough to give everyone VIP service.

As grumpy as Moto can be, he's one of the nicest guy and you know he's got the RC knowledge.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JamesnMeyer
They get paid to provide a service plain and simple. The pay was no mystery when they accepted the position so it shouldn't be an issue. If it was they should have declined the job offer. The bottom line is they are shitty workers and will always be shitty no matter how much they get paid.
LOL the staff changes as it does in most low paying positions so it is kind of close minded to think they will always be below your standards. Maybe you should shop at Hobby People down the street where they dont know a glow plug from a butt plug and you have to duck the helicopter the employee is flying around the store when you walk in the door.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JamesnMeyer
I agree. You can talk crap about UH all you want. The bottom line is they have the stuff you want that other LHS wouldn't normally carry. Or you can go get yourself an xtm at a friendly hobby people
Old 03-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpeedTech
Hey rcjunkie3000,

Were you the customer that "got lost" on the way to Disneyland and ended up in front of Speedtech? I tell this story to all my RC buddies. It's a classic.

Cheers,
Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Kinda late here but yeah that was me the customer who "got lost" wearing a hoodie in mid-summer LOL...coming from the SF Bay Area. Got any Top Scythe parts? My friend DJGonzo always orders stuff from your store as a matter of fact I think he recently ordered some Jaco Blues on Prizm Wheels.