Wiki Posts
Search

New to Electric need a CAR!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default New to Electric need a CAR!!!

what are the top choices in getting into electric. i did a ton of research b4 i picked up my mtx3 and i love it. what can i get into that will leave me with some $$$ so that i can get the motor , speed control, and be competitive but not too broke to race!!! i prefer a 1/10
Old 11-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You can get a 2nd hand Xray FK05 pretty cheap
Old 11-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Tech Adept

Used, there are a fair number of Losi JRXS's, Team Associated Factory Team TC4s, and now Xray FK05s available at prices ranging from OK to very attractive ($300 down to below $200). All of these can be competitive on carpet and asphalt.

Note that the Losi, while a nice design, does have some practical issues, like requiring very carefully constructed battery packs and aftermarket brackets to sort out the handling.

I'm not familiar with the quirks of the other cars.

As for new cars, almost any of the carbon fiber, double deck cars can be competitive. Prices range from about $275 for the HPI Pro 4 to $450 for the Tamiya TRF415 and other high end cars. You can also get a Team Associated Team TC4 new for about $200, but some folks (including myself) have had trouble getting them to handle turns well at high speed.

Good luck,
Ira
Old 11-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by iblumberg
Used, there are a fair number of Losi JRXS's, Team Associated Factory Team TC4s, and now Xray FK05s available at prices ranging from OK to very attractive ($300 down to below $200). All of these can be competitive on carpet and asphalt.

Note that the Losi, while a nice design, does have some practical issues, like requiring very carefully constructed battery packs and aftermarket brackets to sort out the handling.

I'm not familiar with the quirks of the other cars.

As for new cars, almost any of the carbon fiber, double deck cars can be competitive. Prices range from about $275 for the HPI Pro 4 to $450 for the Tamiya TRF415 and other high end cars. You can also get a Team Associated Team TC4 new for about $200, but some folks (including myself) have had trouble getting them to handle turns well at high speed.

Good luck,
Ira
a sufficiently hopped up TA05 will get you competitive enough in racing. on second thought... if u have a bit more to spend... you can get FT AE TC4.... oh my... what have i done...
Old 11-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Adept

I run the team tc4 it seems to be good so Far. I have not really had any problems that i did not cause. It seems to be pretty tough. The losi's seem to give up quicker if you catch a board. I have not seen x-rays to comment on them. I got it for a bill twenty and there was a ft on the forum for 190
Old 11-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The FT TC3 is still quite competitive and can be had for around $100 used for a good one.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

the xray sounds like the best choice at the time, and they have BLING status!!! are there any big differences between it and the TA05?

i want durable, adjustable and likable. that special battery thing is a no no to me.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Default what about this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-XRay-T1-w-L...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gentleman81
the xray sounds like the best choice at the time, and they have BLING status!!! are there any big differences between it and the TA05?

i want durable, adjustable and likable. that special battery thing is a no no to me.
xray is good and the materials are of high quality (you can expect it...it's hudy after all)

at the moment people tends to see the TA05 as a 'lower class' touring car, but for the next 1 or 2 years we will see it evolving to be a competitive touring car or maybe the base for the next TRF series from tamiya.

if I were you, I'd go for the car which has a good parts support by LHS and the one which is used by a lot of people, that way you can get help from others easier.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

well we only have a couple of electric racers at my club and they mostly run the HPI's , i like to be a little different with my whips. when everyone was running the tc3s i got my mtx3 and its a beast. i didnt know it was that popular until i got it though? is the pro 4 that good of a car out of the box?

i still like the xray for some reason?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If your willing to go used, I would say look for a nice used X-Ray, TC4 or JRX-S. Any of them will fit the bill in the performance area.

If your looking to go new, I would say grab a TA05 and maybe throw on some TRF shocks and a Associated spring kit for tuning. Don't the low price fool you. I went from a JRX-S to my TA05 and have yet to regret it.

Besides, theres NOTHING better than turning fast laps with a $130 car while others are running cars that cost 3x as much...

...well there is one thing better, the look on the people's faces when they realise how much you paid for your car.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Darkseid
If your looking to go new, I would say grab a TA05 and maybe throw on some TRF shocks and a Associated spring kit for tuning. Don't the low price fool you. I went from a JRX-S to my TA05 and have yet to regret it.

Besides, theres NOTHING better than turning fast laps with a $130 car while others are running cars that cost 3x as much...

...well there is one thing better, the look on the people's faces when they realise how much you paid for your car.
I'm 100% with you on this! I got my msx but for the moment still satisfied with my TA05, haven't really race it but during practice i can see that it's fast.

TRF shocks is a must upgrade, and also the stabilizers.

gentleman81, i kind of like yourself, but in the past. I like to use something that is different. but now i start to think that it's useless if you don't get enough support. I got a well maintained, seldom used TC3, switched to tamiya cos it's supported by LHS while it's difficult to find parts for TC3.

my 2 cents...
Old 12-01-2005, 04:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

i have a 05 but i recommend the 415msx refine 2

based on experience with yokomo bd, xray fk05 and the new refine2
Old 12-01-2005, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by erric_13
i have a 05 but i recommend the 415msx refine 2

based on experience with yokomo bd, xray fk05 and the new refine2
refine 2 no doubt is a good car but if you're on tight budget, i don't think you can find it second hand at the moment
Old 12-01-2005, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Go to your local club and try different cars of the members. I like my Yokomo MR4TC-SD because of its direct steering but others prefer beltdrive cars like the 415MSX or MR4TC-BD. It depends on yourself which car you like to drive and is easy to handle for yourself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.