Wiki Posts
Search

solid vs Oneway

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default solid vs Oneway

Hi guys can you guys please help me to have a more better knowledge of the one ways and solid front diff applications

which one of the 2 has better off power steering? (as in smaller turn radius)

which one has better intial turn in response?

which one has better on power steering? and what kinda steering will it have understeer or oversteer effect?

thanks guys all comments appreciated
Old 09-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A one-way will freewheel off power and lock up on power, giving you more steering throughout the entire corner. The problem is you can't stop the car if someone or something jumps out in front of you.

A spool is locked all the time, giving you great pull (steering)out of the corner but requires a different setup to get steering entering and mid corner. BUT, you can brake with the car if someone jumps out in front of you which lets you drive more aggressively.

Recap....
one-way= more steering all through the corner but no brakes

Spool= push entering and mid corner (setup can cure this) and mad steering out of the corner. AND brakes
Old 09-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Too add.

A solid front axle is better in low grip or wet tracks. This may sound strange at first but always remember its easier and faster to force a car with push around a track than it is to try control a car that is constantly throwing out the rear end when you apply the throttle.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I alwyas find that the left front wheel nut loosens up all the imte no matter how hard I tighten it down.. is this normal (with spool)
Old 09-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

try putting wheel nuts on backwards...works very well...also some may suggest threadlock...i think t.l. makes it, at times, too much work to get the wheel off.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

To also add, when using a one way diff, you will only receive rear braking. It will take a while to get use to this and sometimes you may have to brake (gently) before entering a turn. Too much can leave you spinning out. I only use one if I'm on a large track with sweeping turns.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by BadBoyRC
I alwyas find that the left front wheel nut loosens up all the imte no matter how hard I tighten it down.. is this normal (with spool)
I hate when that happens. I switched all my Kyosho wheel nuts to Serpent ones. It has a floating washer and lots of surface area. Brand new, they're slick so you may want to take a flat metal file to really scuff them up for more bite. Definitely put some thread lock too.

I went back to the one-way. Love the spool though, but it's killer on the universals. Make sure to keep the rear diff super loose and it'll hug the tightest corner.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by kidDynomite
I hate when that happens. I switched all my Kyosho wheel nuts to Serpent ones. It has a floating washer and lots of surface area. Brand new, they're slick so you may want to take a flat metal file to really scuff them up for more bite. Definitely put some thread lock too.

I went back to the one-way. Love the spool though, but it's killer on the universals. Make sure to keep the rear diff super loose and it'll hug the tightest corner.
I lost 4 front left Serpent wheelnuts in one day. The source of the problem is general wear and tear from removing the wheel all the time. The threads wear slightly and the nuts cant stay on. Changing the axle cured it straightaway
Old 09-24-2004, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

thank you so much for that guys! i now have a much much better understanding of how both of them would respond within driving really appreciate it!
will do some testing tommorrow and let you guys know how i go oh and ill be doing some testing with the one way first unless i can get a hold of some bluetac to make a solid axle.

Kid Dynomite:
Make sure to keep the rear diff super loose and it'll hug the tightest corner.

Q: sorry did you make this comment for the oneway or the solid axle? (and i like that idea of my car hugging the tighest corners thats how i've always wanted my car to drive)

D_Ames:

Spool= push entering and mid corner (setup can cure this) and mad steering out of the corner. AND brakes

Q: do i cure the push by adding more front grip?

Palmaris Europe:
my track's has low grip! its also small and technical alot of 180 turns! solid sounds so tempting hehe.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Brain,

Not so much adding front grip, but changing the way your car steers. Depending on what car you drive usually adding front castor will make the car turn in harder. You will need to gain off power steering. On power should be incredible with a spool. Try changing your ride height in the front, you want to transfer weight to the front of the car when you let off the throttle. Having a slightly lower ride height in front in relation to the back will do this. Also, try standing the front shocks up more on the shock tower. Remember to make ONE change at a time to see if it helps. Also remember, setup is always a trade off so you'll have to experiment.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by D_Ames; 09-24-2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Adding a one-way increases steering off-power, but greatly reduces steering on power. A spool greatly reduces steering everywhere. You must run stiffer rear diff to get steering with either. Changes to shocks and sway bars as well as a tighter rear diff, can get the steering back.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by BrainTeased
thank you so much for that guys! i now have a much much better understanding of how both of them would respond within driving really appreciate it!
will do some testing tommorrow and let you guys know how i go oh and ill be doing some testing with the one way first unless i can get a hold of some bluetac to make a solid axle.

Kid Dynomite:
Make sure to keep the rear diff super loose and it'll hug the tightest corner.
I meant this for the spool. I tested heavier rear diff oil, 10K. It made the tail kick out since you have to drive more on power through the turns than a one-way. On power steering pulls the front around ... stiff rear diff power pushes... that combination make the car feel like your spinning a top.

My track has low to medium grip. I then swapped diffs with 3K oil (1K works pretty good too) and the more free rotation helped prevent spin outs. Like D_Ames said ... you'll need to stand up the rear shocks and run sways and lower the front ride height. This will help keep weight to the front inside tire and prevent lift on power.

If you have a spare one-way, here's a diagram of how I made mine into a spool. JB Weld doesn't hold by itself. You'll need to lock it down with spring steel pins or grub screws. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

Thats kindof like how the 710's one way works. Just insert 2 pins and its locked. Just a note Brian Berry ran his 710 at the sedan nats with the front one way locked. Traction was extremely high, so it helped reduce traction roll and he felt more comfortable driving the car this way.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

I have heard of some poeple running a one-way in the front and a spool in the rear, how does this setup handle and behave?
Old 09-25-2004, 01:09 AM
Tech Addict

you need Lots and lots of traction to run that set up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.