Search

True Cost to own RC Pro Buggies

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MikeFriery
i guess the point of my post was this:

The cost of racing varies greatly depending on your home track
The cost of racing varies based on your expectations, and competitiveness.

you cant quantify it generally
lol the real point i was trying to get is which pro kit is the lowest cost to own ... when you add in kit cost .. parts cost ... you know some kits require more love some are tough.. .. you know like edmunds 5year ownership ... but it took off in a diff direction
Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The not-so-crazy thing is I will burn up more tires in practice/testing than I will racing this summer.

In the midwest the races we attend for the outdoors vary greatly surface wise. It is always necessary to pack 5-6 different treads in at least two different compounds in order to be prepared. plus have multiples of such in case the race conditions demand it. quite an investment up front and wont use all those tires up of course. but is a fact of racing, where there is no guaranty that the tires I need for the event will be available for sale.

the wrong tires can cost you .5-1 second a lap easy. If you are racing intermediate that is of no concern. step it up a level and that stuff starts to matter.

if your need more than twenty sets a year your a rich noob, is not really fair to say. And agreed everyones racing situation is different, but at a certain competitive level, everyones situation is the same $$$.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tcaputo
lol the real point i was trying to get is which pro kit is the lowest cost to own ... when you add in kit cost .. parts cost ... you know some kits require more love some are tough.. .. you know like edmunds 5year ownership ... but it took off in a diff direction
sorry for the derail........mugen
Old 03-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Unless you find a killer deal, it's going to cost around $1000 if you have zero equipment. Maybe less, maybe more, but a G seems the average.

I spend less on RC than a guy at my work spends on fishing, and fishing is boring as hell IMO!!

There is no real "cheap kit to own". They all have their strengths and weaknesses and require $$ for upkeep and maintenance. Mugen is solid, but parts are expensive. D8s are cheap initially and parts are cheaper, but imo you need more parts more often. Others may disagree, but I've owned both and this was my experience. In the end, they cost about the same to own/maintain.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

You cant compare this to ANYTHING EXPERT PRO FACTORY driver do.

If any of us was good enough to even qualify for a B main in the EXPERT class, you will be FULLY sponsored. This would not be an issue.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
Unless you find a killer deal, it's going to cost around $1000 if you have zero equipment. Maybe less, maybe more, but a G seems the average.

I spend less on RC than a guy at my work spends on fishing, and fishing is boring as hell IMO!!

My neighbor gave up RC aircraft long ago to go fishing. he now has like 5 boats
Old 03-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnny t
The not-so-crazy thing is I will burn up more tires in practice/testing than I will racing this summer.

In the midwest the races we attend for the outdoors vary greatly surface wise. It is always necessary to pack 5-6 different treads in at least two different compounds in order to be prepared. plus have multiples of such in case the race conditions demand it. quite an investment up front and wont use all those tires up of course. but is a fact of racing, where there is no guaranty that the tires I need for the event will be available for sale.

the wrong tires can cost you .5-1 second a lap easy. If you are racing intermediate that is of no concern. step it up a level and that stuff starts to matter.

if your need more than twenty sets a year your a rich noob, is not really fair to say. And agreed everyones racing situation is different, but at a certain competitive level, everyones situation is the same $$$.
This post is dead-on about the tire expense.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
You cant compare this to ANYTHING EXPERT PRO FACTORY driver do.

If any of us was good enough to even qualify for a B main in the EXPERT class, you will be FULLY sponsored. This would not be an issue.

Not really. Fully sponsored meaning 100%?

There was a driver who made the pro truggy a-main at nitro challenge that wasn't fully sponsored.

You'd be surprised what it costs to compete at that level even with a healthy sponsorship that isn't 100%.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Tech Prophet

call me crazy but during a season at the most i use only 2 sets of aka soft truggy tires grated i am running truggy.

thats why i stay away from high grip clay tracks $$.

like, i said before there are good quality servos for $90/$100 for a club racer i been using for a long time and never had one go bad on me .
Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Rookie

I've only started this hobby 3 weeks ago, got my first HSP 1/8 Camper Pro buggy cheap $250 two day in got a bit trigger happy !!smashed!! the whole front end which cost me over $250 in parts. Got that fixed Next went the wing stay, Steering Servo, Steering servo/saver and a few bent dog bones. ($100) Now waiting on a few aluminum part to come home from ebay.

... While waiting i got given two 1/8 Hypers 8.5 and 1/10 HSP warhead with loads of tools and spare parts. ... I have to say after a whole week bashing the Hobao Hyper is a sweet machine (running a .28 GO Engine) not a single penny spent besides feeding time and for 4 liters for $50 this hobby is going to chew the pocket.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by J.Sears
Hell I wouldn't want to know how much money I spend on this hobby. All hobbies are expensive unless you take up knitting or something like that...lol and I don't ever see that happening.
I don't know how cheap that knitting thing is. My wife has a little over 200.00 just in knitting needles, And another 2,000 to 3,000 in yarn. And that does not count all of the dies she uses.

But the start up cost is the killer.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jettaturbogls
I don't know how cheap that knitting thing is. My wife has a little over 200.00 just in knitting needles, And another 2,000 to 3,000 in yarn. And that does not count all of the dies she uses.

But the start up cost is the killer.
Try beading - my wife has lord knows how much invested.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking

I've only started this hobby 3 weeks ago, got my first HSP 1/8 Camper Pro buggy cheap $250 two day in got a bit trigger happy !!smashed!! the whole front end which cost me over $250 in parts. Got that fixed Next went the wing stay, Steering Servo, Steering servo/saver and a few bent dog bones. ($100) Now waiting on a few aluminum part to come home from ebay.

... While waiting i got given two 1/8 Hypers 8.5 and 1/10 HSP warhead with loads of tools and spare parts. ... I have to say after a whole week bashing the Hobao Hyper is a sweet machine (running a .28 GO Engine) not a single penny spent besides feeding time and for 4 liters for $50 this hobby is going to chew the pocket.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

I Started 2-3 years ago have raced mostly club races and a a few larger events. I race buggy and truck. I have went from a car with everything used to all brand new parts. So cost can very a lot it all depends on what you want.

Buggy 800-1200
Truck 800-1200
Case of fuel 100
Starter box w Battery 80-100
Tx 250-450
Spare servos 200
spare parts 300-500
transponder 90
paint for bodies 30
wheels tires 2 sets per car/truck 200-250
Spare motor 200-350
misc tools 150

Table for the track 40
Tool Box 30
canopy 100
Lights and power cord 50

approx total $4170 If your going to buy everything at once and be ready to go racing with two classes and be able to make it though most events and club races with no issues.

With this almost every other week I make a $50-150 online order to replace anything i have used or need to have.

Here is an example of a large race

Getting ready to race nationals last year I spent $80 per entry $25 roar membership and $400 worth or any extra parts wheels tires ect. I could think of to make sure I could make it through the 4 days of racing with out needing anything. Plus food drink and motel which I only stayed at one night because i was within an hr and a half drive of the track. large events could be very expensive if you travel and can stay cheap most likely $1000+ per race.

Now after spending this money I feel I have enough parts spares with competitive cars to be able to compete at most races and be able to finish the week/weekend without any trouble.

Sorry for the long post but should give a good idea at what it takes.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If I had to budget....I'd find something else to do.

I want it all....and I want it now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.