Search
Like Tree3Likes

BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joost K.
That will be negative camber (top of the wheel leans inwards). Positive camber is never used for all I know...
Excellent, thank you for confirming that. It would have suprised me to see positive camber, but I'm still new enough that I get suprised on occasion.

Thanks Again.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I took the day off of work today to do alot of testing with the car and the new front end. I found a killer setup for carpet that was very easy to drive and very fast. Here is what i ran.

Front:
1 degree camber
6 degrees caster
1mm of shims under the front pivot balls on the arms
#5 shurlube in tube
3.5mm ride height
.5mm droop
Team purple front cut to 1.650 with 1/2 the inside front sauced

Rear:
1.2mm flex plate(carbon fiber)
#4 shurlube in tubes
3.5mm ride height
1mm pod droop
Gold center spring w/ 45 wt. oil with antenna mount all the way to the rear
White tires cut to 1.700 full sauce
Parma HD speed 8

No glue on tires

Car was really fast. I messed around alot with rollcenters today. 1mm shims under the hinge pin block reduced the camber gain and made it very easy to drive. Under the arms worked better for me as it kept the caber gain and had more onpower steering but mellowed the car out. Tire wear was minimal. As of right now i have the fastest laps ever layed down on the track. My friend who was running the xray 1/12th ran a fast lap of 10.8 and ran my personal car and layed down a 10.3 on his 5th lap. I managed to pull off a 10.2 and averaged 10.5's. Car was insane. Very happy with todays results. I messed around with widening the front from behind the axles. I made 2mm shims that thread on behind the axle. Car was super smooth with them.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

i guess he is going back the CH
Old 09-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Jaybee,

Cool man cool, Im also glad your likin the BMI car that car, with the new front end it the Killa,

Im going to place an order for the new front end cant wait to try it

Originally Posted by JayBee
Thanks Mike. I have 2 on the way from Roly, so yeah, I'm gonna try 'em. Gotta compare laptimes though. The S8HD does have a lot of downforce. I mount it as low as possible too. It really seems to compliment my driving style too...passive aggressive, lol. The last weekend, the car felt wonderful. I just wanted to keep driving it. Being out for almost two years hurt me a little, but it felt like riding a bike (you never really forget how to).
Thanks again brah
Old 09-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey InspGadet,

The trick to the Speed 12 is to mount it 1mm higher car feels stable that's one of my Fav bodies.

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I like how much room the Speed 8 HD has under the body in the back. Seems like the Speed 12s all sat too low and I feel didn't handle as well because they affected the pod's movement. I'd like to give the AMR a try though. I'd really like to try the Audi or Black Art but I find they are too thin for my liking. Really like the style though.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

That makes sense...I might have to try that eventually. Ended up doing that on the Copperhead 10 with the DB9 body just to make the body high enough legally.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by protc3
No glue on tires

Car was really fast. I messed around alot with rollcenters today. 1mm shims under the hinge pin block reduced the camber gain and made it very easy to drive. Under the arms worked better for me as it kept the caber gain and had more onpower steering but mellowed the car out. Tire wear was minimal. As of right now i have the fastest laps ever layed down on the track. My friend who was running the xray 1/12th ran a fast lap of 10.8 and ran my personal car and layed down a 10.3 on his 5th lap. I managed to pull off a 10.2 and averaged 10.5's. Car was insane. Very happy with todays results. I messed around with widening the front from behind the axles. I made 2mm shims that thread on behind the axle. Car was super smooth with them.
Interesting you are able to run without gluing the tires. Do you notice the BSR foam tends to rip away less from the rim?

Interesting you put the shim under the front. Besides changing the camber gain that would also add in anti-dive to the front. That's one of the things I so love about the new front end is the ability to do adjustments like that
Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I took the day off of work today to do alot of testing with the car and the new front end. I found a killer setup for carpet that was very easy to drive and very fast. Here is what i ran.

Front:
1 degree camber
6 degrees caster
#5 shurlube in tube
3.5mm ride height
.5mm droop

Rear:
#4 shurlube in tubes
3.5mm ride height
1mm pod droop
Parma HD speed 8

No glue on tires

That's awesome to hear Jason!!
I hope to have similar results the next time out. Our tracks must be similar is size. 1 or 2 of our really fast guys have turned in 1 freak lap of 9.9 but average lap times are in the 10.2-4 range. I've turned in quite a few 10.3's; but my avg. is around 10.6's so far. I'm looking to improve that by a few tenths.
Being that I run the RR w/the DWS...the car is a little different but I'm gonna try that tire change & adjustment on the front-end. Sounds like I'm going to be able to carry even more corner speed and stay a bit more on power thru-out the corners.

Originally Posted by mike ivy
Hey Jaybee,

Cool man cool, Im also glad your likin the BMI car that car, with the new front end it the Killa,

Im going to place an order for the new front end cant wait to try it
Yeah Mike....the RR w/this front end is an awesome piece of equipment. I just wish I could run more than 3 times a month
Old 09-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Front:
1 degree camber
6 degrees caster
#5 shurlube in tube
3.5mm ride height
.5mm droop

Rear:
#4 shurlube in tubes
3.5mm ride height
1mm pod droop
Parma HD speed 8
Jason...that sounds great! I would appreciate it if you could clarify a few things for me:

Did you shim up just the front pivot balls thus creating "kick-up" in the lower arms or did you shim up all 4 pivot balls thus raising the entire lower arm equally?

I'm assuming your tire "colours" are based on CRC or BSR. Are the white rears and purple fronts the same as the Jaco whites/purples? If not, do you know what the Jaco equivalent would be?

I can hardly wait to try this thing out on Saturday .

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Lord

I shimmed all 4 pivot balls on the front arms. The Jaco equivelent would be Lilac front and yellow rear
Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Jason YGPM
Old 09-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Champion

I shimmed all 4 pivot balls on the front arms. The Jaco equivelent would be Lilac front and yellow rear
Did you use shorter spacers under the upper arm mount?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Lord

No i used the same spacers under the hinge pin blocks. All i did was shim under the pivot balls.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

And by that you mean under the pivot balls of the lower front arms I guess? How thick were these shims that you used Jason?

*edit*

Never mind and good mornin'to myself... (need more coffee!!!)

1mm spacers...
Old 09-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Tech Lord

I am going to be making the 2mm axle spacers for you guys also. They will be a nice,cheap little tuning option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.