Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are the ROAR New Approvals?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I'm another one who's stopped racing onroad because there's no place to run the FUN (easy to use, cheap to maintain) stuff...I was racing onroad once or twice a week at SoCal, but not anymore.

I run my 4800 Peaks and my 5800 Novak at Revelation in the gas truck class. Nobody cares what you run, everybody has a good time...plus I get to run 10 minute mains. Guess what? Revelation is packed on Saturday nights. Hmmmmmm...wonder if there's a lesson there? I'd love to do onroad again, but not until they catch up fun-wise.

If I can't run a Peak LiPo and a brushless at a track...then I don't go to that track. I'd buy a 13.5 to run stock, but aside from CharlieB's parking lot races, there would be no place to run it. There's a new carpet track near here that I'll never get to run at...LOL...not a chance they're gonna allow that. They have a big "NO LIPO" deal on the website.

I sold all my NiMh stuff, used the money to buy two ICE chargers and two 4800 LiPos. I've had the same stuff for a year or more and it all works great. You can get near 20 minutes with a mod brusless motor...what's not to like? If you think I'm going to ever buy jigs, discharging trays, multiple battery packs, motor lathe, brushes, motors and all the other crap just for the "pleasure" of going back to brushed/NiMh...you're crazy. And I bet that every other person who races BL/LiPo will say the same thing.

As for the bit about "if you can't get them to assemble a simple DC motor" crap...well you can kiss my ass.

I can assemble a motor no sweat and it will run just fine. Will I be able to even THINK about being competitive around here without investing hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars on motor tweaking? Not gonna happen.

Brushless doesn't glitch, brushless either run or they don't. They run fast enough for me all the time with no drama. I know you make your living with the old-school motors and all, but you're gonna need to wake up eventually and realize that the rest of the world isn't as hard-core about the RC thing as you and your friends are.

I've spent plenty and I will continue to do so...but I'm gonna do it in a way that gets me the maximum amount of fun in return...and that's not going to be by going back to brushed/NiMh. I've seen that movie, walked out halfway through...and I'm not going buy another ticket and try to sit through it again.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 11-03-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racenut123
Exactly what Jack said.

Compare a Composite Aircarft 40%Extra 330 with a Da150, 12 servos that cost about 70-110 a piece,all the little things it takes to build the thing,not even talking about wha a middle of the road to high end radios cost now and you can't compare the cost of High end Car stuff to High end Plane stuff. 1500-2000 for a high end race car setup and 10,000 in the plane.Nuff said.

BlackKat,you sure are smart.

Your comparing apples to oranges. Cant be done.
Your talking about a 40% aircraft and not a 40% RC CAR.

I work with planes all day, I race cars for a hobby.

In most cases I would say a small foamie would deffinatly be cheaper.
Depending on USER.

Look at 1/8th for instance. The larger they are the more expensive they become.

GO LIPOS!!
New things keep me intrested in this hobby.

Later

Kyle Bergstrom
Old 11-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Exclamation

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/03/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Better hurry up and approve the Li-Pos, while they are still around.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by volracer
http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/03/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Better hurry up and approve the Li-Pos, while they are still around.
Dude...get a grip.

One company's batteries are having an issue in one application.

Laptop batteries are not just straight batteries anyways...they have circuitry inside them that controls the charging process. Anyways...NiMh cells explode and go through walls, LiPos just burn.

R/C batteries aren't the same as laptop batteries. Just because it has "lithium" in the name, doesn't mean it is the same or that they explode.

Here's some info.

Besides, if it worked like that, your head would probably ignite when you took your meds.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 11-03-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Turbo,

I think the issue will be that if the laptop PC industry goes away from Li-Pos; the R/C industry will not be a large enough market for t he Li-Po factories. They will have to follow the demand. It will be like the VHS and Beta thing.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Laptops use Li-Ion, not LiPo.

The real problem, which I think you're trying to refer to is that (as has been discussed here many times) sub-C NiMh cells are on the way out in the portable tool (drills, etc.) market. From the previous discussions, they're all going LiPo now and phasing out NiMh.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Laptops use Li-Ion, not LiPo.

The real problem, which I think you're trying to refer to is that (as has been discussed here many times) sub-C NiMh cells are on the way out in the portable tool (drills, etc.) market. From the previous discussions, they're all going LiPo now and phasing out NiMh.

That is not true. Milwaukee, Bosch, and others have introduced lithium powered drills. They still make the bulk of their sales on NiCAD and NiMh drills. My employer bought within the last year about 10 Bosch drills with 1400mah Nicad batteries. i personally have a Black and Decker with similar cells. Only the very high end has lithium cells currently.

In fact, i see a higher number of Nicad drills than NiMh drills at work. The amount of chargers and drills that would be made useless by a wholesale change to lithium is staggering. Companies want to have backward compadible equipment if possible. You will continue to see Ni- cells for a long time in the drill market.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Has anyone checked out the ROAR page today???? Looks like somethings are going to really set some people off and make some others really happy.....Like changes to brushless motors....and the banning of LIPO batteries....and other things.

http://www.roarracing.org/downloads/...ng_Summary.pdf
Old 11-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Banned LIPO? Well I guess it's best to make some dumb changes so they can be reversed later. I can't even understand how the word "ban" is used.

Does that mean RX packs and TX? Those are LIPOS too?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
Banned LIPO? Well I guess it's best to make some dumb changes so they can be reversed later. I can't even understand how the word "ban" is used.

Does that mean RX packs and TX? Those are LIPOS too?
Yes that is what the rule is intended for from what I was told....The radio is still up in the air though

EA
Old 11-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Did I read that correct.... NO qual points at the carpet nats?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ottoman
Did I read that correct.... NO qual points at the carpet nats?
Yeap

EA
Old 11-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by volracer
Turbo,

I think the issue will be that if the laptop PC industry goes away from Li-Pos; the R/C industry will not be a large enough market for t he Li-Po factories. They will have to follow the demand. It will be like the VHS and Beta thing.
Not true, the racing industry always tests new stuff and pushes limits. Its far cheaper for a company to do R&D in the most stressed enviornment on a smaller scale than in mass production.

LI Ion, LIPO are in most of your electronics, and you aren't on fire. Apple had a similar problem when it first came out with laptops. It just how things work. You have an idea and it's tested, sometimes something goes wrong, and it fails. Odds are that charging system was off or had a problem in the laptops.

We won't be using LIPO, we'll be using a variant when they come out. The LI Mg cells the A123 are much safer, but they don't have the power we want, or fit. So if they work on 1 of the 2 that will be much better.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ROAR fully intends to revisit the LiPo question annually. For now LiPo's are banned in R/C vehicles due to how sensitive the pack are to crashes. Between the fires that have happened this year from LiPo reciever packs and the insurance companies worries about LiPo we had no choice but to ban them until there is a more stable cell technology.

For now LiPo Transmitter packs are still allowed since thay are not subjected to the jarring and crashing packs in cars are subjected to. However, if we see ANY problems with their use we will have no choice but to ban them too.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

so are the sintered rotors legal now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.