Wiki Posts
Search

Set up stations??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Set up stations??

How many of you guys use one? Is it good for a novice who will mostly be club racing like me? What brands are good but inexpensive? I have looked at the hudy and integy. Lots of feedback will help. I run the 8ight 1.0 but might upgrade to the 808. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

I have the Team Magic one, very nice piece of kit. I'm kinda anal about making sure everythings set "just so" having a system like this ensure's I can check ALL the angles perfectly.

With the losi I gave up trying to use it, there's so much play in the hubs that trying to use a set-up sytem will drive you to drink. Everytime you give the suspension a bounce to check the settings EVERY setting returns somewhere else. That said with the 808 it's a completely different story and I'm back to using the system very regularly.

All the above said I race a guy thats been at this game as long as I have that dosen't use any gauges at all and does very well just the same.

I believe if like me knowing everythings set correctly gives you a greater confidence on the day then these are very good to have. If its something your gonna use once in a blue moon or too set the buggy from new then never again, there a complete waste of money.

There's a guy on Fleabay that does a plastic system for little cash,that might be worth a look. After that there all expersive, But as the saying goes "you get what you pay for."

Rod
Old 02-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Id say you don't need the set-up station at all right now. Just get a camber gauge (and learn to use it properly) and invest the rest of the cash into servo's, transponder, or something else. Later on you can use a set-up station but, they are overated for off-road use for the most part
Old 02-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have the system that Merciless is talking about off of ebay. For the money I am very happy with that system I think it is called M racing products or something like that. The guy is awesome I ordered one for an 8th scale buggy and he sent me one with a truggy toe plate instead of buggy plate, he sent me a buggy toe plate and told me to keep the truggy plate for free.

Again for the money I dont think you can go wrong. I would buy from him again if I were going to buy another set up station.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 227 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Merciless
I have the Team Magic one, very nice piece of kit. I'm kinda anal about making sure everythings set "just so" having a system like this ensure's I can check ALL the angles perfectly.

With the losi I gave up trying to use it, there's so much play in the hubs that trying to use a set-up sytem will drive you to drink. Everytime you give the suspension a bounce to check the settings EVERY setting returns somewhere else. That said with the 808 it's a completely different story and I'm back to using the system very regularly.

All the above said I race a guy thats been at this game as long as I have that dosen't use any gauges at all and does very well just the same.

I believe if like me knowing everythings set correctly gives you a greater confidence on the day then these are very good to have. If its something your gonna use once in a blue moon or too set the buggy from new then never again, there a complete waste of money.

There's a guy on Fleabay that does a plastic system for little cash,that might be worth a look. After that there all expersive, But as the saying goes "you get what you pay for."

Rod
+1 on the Team Magic setup system. I think that as a novice it is even more important to have a setup system in order to make sure your car is square! Given the money we spend and the lengths we go to for this hobby I believe it's money well spent. I just sold my TM to go with Hudy as I will using their entire line of setup equipment, from droop blocks to ride height gauges.

I think knowing your car is balanced and well setup instills confidence which translates to being more relaxed on the drivers stand = more races finished with better results!

Setting your car up properly will become part of your ritual just as cleaning your ride after a day in the dirt is today!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

there are Many Multiple page thread's on this exact issue.......i suggest a search and a good cup of coffee and start reading.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

I was amazed a how far off my measurements were without using the Hudy set-up station. My toe-in measurements was the worst. It doesn't matter which brand just as long as you have a set up station as an aid.

Chassis tuning makes up a good percentage for you having a good race. Having the right tires is like icing on the cake.