Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree61Likes

HPI RS4 Sport 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Buy it, drive it to see if you like it enough to keep it, then take it apart and put it back together.
I've seriously considered that. BUT, I have extra ESC's, Motors, and a really nice Futaba 4px controller, etc... so you have that. Also, I love upacking all the parts bags!

I do love that Porsche body though. I may have to get a Spec R or other $100 kit to use w/ that body.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
It was actually my Sakura FF that really ended my time with the Sport3. When a front wheel drive can out drive a AWD drive.
Cuda and I had this same discussion on another forum. I could just see that, for me, it was going to more of an investment in upgrades then I'm willing to spend. I'd really like to see how it run fully upgraded. I base my opinions on how vehicle comes right out the box. Too many upgrades changes what it can be compared to.
I really wanted the Sport3 to be good. Hpi had 5+ years to come up with it. The Apex touring is 3years old, and to me, and better car out the box. This was my 15 Hpi vehicle. And it really put a dent in my opinion of their recent stuff.
Good point for sure I thought I had almost every upgrade available then saw a few other sport 3 flux's on the web that are only retaining the chassis and that's it...everything else including the body has been replaced. Either way you start down the modification row or you don't...it's really hard to stop once you begin, is why the motor, electronics and body will remain factory stock.

The only recent hpi car I haven't touched or modified driven straight out of the box is the WR8 flux. Perfect in every way (so far). Every other car has needed some modification attention one way or the other and I don't expect RTR's to be any different (Then again I might have higher expectations then the normal rc enthusiast). I can't go through all the vehicles over the past 3 decades but ever try to run a HPI Baja or 5B with the stock exhaust you see my point.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

We agree on the WR8. Though try one on 6s.

I just own to many vehicles to go all out on upgrades. I keep a limit on each vehicle. Tires I expect. For the surfaces that I, and I'm sure most others, is never perfect. It changes over the day depending on how many vehicles drive on it. Or how warm or cold it is. Now if I ran a track surface that was consistent, I'd probably be more into the quest for perfection.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

I do love my WR8's so much more than the RS4 Sport 3 that I had for a week. 3S is already plenty fast. 6S would be freaking insane!

That sounds like me. I own a lot of cars and its enough just to keep them all running. Upgrades are kept to a minimum. I'll upgrade for bulletproofing and fixing flaws in a design but never for bling.

After my experience with rocks in the steering, I just can't see this making a good rally platform. The sealed drivetrain is great and solved all of the problems I had with the old belt-driven RS4s but this steering system really let me down.

Still looking for an electric replacement for my 15 year old Nitro RS4.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Metal One
I do love my WR8's so much more than the RS4 Sport 3 that I had for a week. 3S is already plenty fast. 6S would be freaking insane!

That sounds like me. I own a lot of cars and its enough just to keep them all running. Upgrades are kept to a minimum. I'll upgrade for bulletproofing and fixing flaws in a design but never for bling.

After my experience with rocks in the steering, I just can't see this making a good rally platform. The sealed drivetrain is great and solved all of the problems I had with the old belt-driven RS4s but this steering system really let me down.

I've now got tires that I think will handle 6s on the WR8. Gonna try to run it this weekend.

I'd forgotten about the rocks getting stuck. Only happened to me couple times.
I set a "upgrade" budget on each vehicle. If a part breaks more then once, then I'm looking for the upgrade.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

The steering and dog bones were the culprits of this car for sure. Easy fix with a few bucks tossed in the right direction. The car needs a good smooth surface for best results which isn't always an option for some. The RS4 were built solid back in the day....ever considered doing an electric conversion?
Old 03-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

I have not considered that but the Sprint 2, which is an RS4 with many years of tweaks, has a brushless version that would be compatible with a few of the same upgrades that my Nitro RS4 has. I've always been very fond of that platform but like the Nitro, rocks in the belts can be a problem. Can't imagine the damage brushless power could do to the belts and gears. My old Reedy motors on 7 cells in my RS4s Sport and Pro 2 would just jam up when they picked up a rock in the belt, as does my Nitro. I bet brushless power would mangle things!

Anyway... as much as it kills me to even consider it, I'm afraid I'll have to look outside of HPI for a 1/10 touring / basher to fit my less-than-perfect surface requirements. I miss the bodies though. So many bodies to choose from. I've got 2 Zondas, a Murcielago and a Diablo just hanging on the wall, waiting for a chassis. I'd also like the Pantera and perhaps a LaFerrari. I love me some exotics. I sure wish someone would make an Aventador or a Huracan GT3.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get a Tamiya XV-01. They're marvelous vehicles for driving on dirty pavement. The front-to-rear drive belt is shrouded to keep out debris.

Here's my XV-01 collection:

</hijack>

Last edited by fyrstormer; 03-29-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

Those are sweet Fyrstormer!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

That... looks.... perfect! OMG! That might just be the solution to everything!

I just saw a new (old) Tamiya buggy yesterday that had a covered belt system and I wondered if there was a car version of it. I guess there is! Thanks for the tip!
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
It was actually my Sakura FF that really ended my time with the Sport3. When a front wheel drive can out drive a AWD drive.
Cuda and I had this same discussion on another forum. I could just see that, for me, it was going to more of an investment in upgrades then I'm willing to spend. I'd really like to see how it run fully upgraded. I base my opinions on how vehicle comes right out the box. Too many upgrades changes what it can be compared to.
I really wanted the Sport3 to be good. Hpi had 5+ years to come up with it. The Apex touring is 3years old, and to me, and better car out the box. This was my 15 Hpi vehicle. And it really put a dent in my opinion of their recent stuff.
Thanks for your input mate.Guess i just get a Tamiya kit and build it.As for HPI,will wait for the Subaru Fatlace bodyshell sold separately. The RS4 drift BRZ RTR bodyshell is killer man.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by firstFluX
Thanks for your input mate.Guess i just get a Tamiya kit and build it.As for HPI,will wait for the Subaru Fatlace bodyshell sold separately. The RS4 drift BRZ RTR bodyshell is killer man.
Before I sold mine. I was using the Subaru body. Found it on eBay. With the Subaru body and s set of standard touring car tires, it was better. But could see it was going to need more.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

That... looks.... perfect! OMG! That might just be the solution to everything!

I just saw a new (old) Tamiya buggy yesterday that had a covered belt system and I wondered if there was a car version of it. I guess there is! Thanks for the tip!
I love them. They're the only touring-car platform I can actually run on the busted-up pavement near my apartment. I'm currently working on fitting the XV-01's suspension to a TB-04R so I can drive that where I live too.

If you happen to be in the market for a buggy, the Losi 22-4 has an amazing shrouded-belt drivetrain.

Originally Posted by Cudacharger
Those are sweet Fyrstormer!
Thanks. The truck is now a FWD rally car; I should update the family photos.

- - -

I asked before but I didn't see an answer: What is the outer diameter of the oversized tires on the Porsche version of the RS4 Sport 3?

Last edited by fyrstormer; 03-17-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

Here's a few pics... front & rear in order.
Attached Thumbnails HPI RS4 Sport 3-front.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-rear.jpg  
Old 03-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Tech Champion

Diameter, not width. Specifically I'm curious if they're the same diameter as front wheels for 1:10 RWD buggies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.