The One True 13.5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Wink EVEN PLAYING FIELD!

Originally Posted by TryHard
Hi guys,

I know this is a debatable question, but given all the talk over whats faster, has anyone run a 15.5 against a 27t?

My local club looks like it's going to allow brushless soon, and I'd like to be able to suggest a motor limit that we can use for B/L motors... It would seem that the general consensous is that 13.5's are faster (by how much is the debatable question)... so I'm wondering if suggesting a 15.5 to be the option.
Splitting classes isn't an option, and not everyone will switch (I know I will, then again, I'm one of the ones pushing for it ), so would like to keep it as fair as possible. Otherwise I could easily find myself in the situation whereby I'm accused of bing faster purely because of the B/L motors....

regards
Ed
HI ED,
I had the opportunity to run the EX 13.5. The only difference is the rotor and
a smaller bearing on the endbel compared to the Pro 13.5.This EX rotor had a noticeable amount power loss in torque and rpm's compared to the sintered rotor.
My son ran an "EA" cobalt 27t with me and side by side coming out of the corners we were even. Straightaway or top speed the cobalt would pull away. Now gearing and batteries could also have been a factor. So in my opinion to really even out the motors don't allow sintered rotors and set a limit on the gearing. I believe this will even things up. What final gearing I would say close to "5.0 FDR". It wont hurt the motor temp. if anything it may break 100F. The "stock bonded" rotor I couldn't say, I'm just basing it on the EX bonded rotor. Only allow the old bonded is what Novak used.
I hope I was of some help in even the playing field. I know a lot of BL racers will not be happy if these restrictions are implemented but what's fair is fair. Who knows they might way to switch back to brushed.
Just my 2$

Last edited by maxepower; 11-26-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Motors

At my track we have just completed a season of mixed 27/13.5 stock races. It was for us a good comparison as the top 3 drivers, who are pretty even drivers, split by 2 going to brushless and 1 staying in brushed. The stock 27 did not get within 2 laps of the 2 13.5's in any race unless there was an accident that caused one of the brushless problems.
Onroad with a longish straight (30+m) and a pretty tight back section. Looks like being a push to split racing next year which just might hurt the club. Maybe they should loosen the restrictions on brushed stock. Leave the winds and timing the same but allow changes in coms like 5 segment instead of 3 and bearings for longer life.
Terry
Old 11-25-2007, 12:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

At all the clubs here in brisbane we run a mixed 27t 13.5 class Onroad touring cars but the brushless runners are restricted to the bonded rotor (standard in teh original 13.5 and in the EX ) - this makes the racing very close. If we allow the sintered rotor the brushless guys will be too fast for the class.

We also run Lipo and Nimh mixed in the class.

Last edited by heavy; 11-25-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heavy
At all the clubs here in brisbane we run a mixed 27t 13.5 class but the brushless runners are restricted to the bonded rotor (standard in teh original 13.5 and in the EX ) - this makes the racing very close. If we allow the sintered rotor the brushless guys will be too fast for the class.
Thanks, might have to suggest that here in Townsville. It would be better than trying to split classes and stuffing up both classes.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Ash
Thanks, might have to suggest that here in Townsville. It would be better than trying to split classes and stuffing up both classes.
Townsville?

isnt that where the Powerpuff Girls are from?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Anyone tested the Assoicated Eraser Sport 13.5?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I think we just have to be very clear when making comparisons between brushed and brushless. There are many permutations involved.

Eg.

1/12 or 1/10?
onroad or offroad?
Nimh or lipo?
Sintered or bonded?

I think the “experience” can vary a lot along those lines.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyl03
I think we just have to be very clear when making comparisons between brushed and brushless. There are many permutations involved.

Eg.

1/12 or 1/10?
onroad or offroad?
Nimh or lipo?
Sintered or bonded?

I think the “experience” can vary a lot along those lines.

Ageed - edited my post
Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What happens when you shim the rotor to take the end play out?? Any help would be nice.

Wes
Old 11-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Many of the early Novak 13.5 had too much play and with the bonded rotor would "cog". Using the sintered rotor created a strong enough field that the play was not as evident and did not result in this "cogging". (I found this out the hard way after tightening, loosening, rebuilding my differentials and CVD's numerous times...).

That being said, there is nothing wrong with using shims to take out some of the play; just don't take all of it out. I don't think you will see any performance increase, but it should be better for motor life (IMO).
Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thank You.

Wes
Old 11-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TryHard
Hi guys,

I know this is a debatable question, but given all the talk over whats faster, has anyone run a 15.5 against a 27t?

My local club looks like it's going to allow brushless soon, and I'd like to be able to suggest a motor limit that we can use for B/L motors... It would seem that the general consensous is that 13.5's are faster (by how much is the debatable question)... so I'm wondering if suggesting a 15.5 to be the option.
Splitting classes isn't an option, and not everyone will switch (I know I will, then again, I'm one of the ones pushing for it ), so would like to keep it as fair as possible. Otherwise I could easily find myself in the situation whereby I'm accused of bing faster purely because of the B/L motors....

regards
Ed
Hi Ed.
At West Kent in Tonbridge we are running seperate championships for 27t and 13.5BL, likewise with 19t and 10.5BL.
However 27t/13.5 and 19t/10.5 are mixed for the racing with only the driver abilities segregating the various runners
With us not being familier with the Brushless motors we took a lot of useful advice from the lads at Eastbourne who do the same and we are currently having a very close championship.

Here you can find the results from last weekend.
But here you can see the 1st qualifying heat for the top 27t/13.5 boys to see how mixed the different motor specs are.

The performance of the 2 motors is really similar and not as different as many appear to think but if you are still a little sceptical have an experimentle meeting to test the water.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

interesting to see the final qualifications leaders (TQ) on the Stock BL and Super Stock BL having the same amount of laps and nearly the same total time...whereas the brushed stock/super stock top qualifiers were about a lap apart...

Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah, it makes me want to cry. TQ in Stock BL is just so depressingly good.
And what's more its the same model of car as me...

Last edited by shawnh; 11-26-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

It's a little of topic but I will ask anyway.

Anybody have a recommendation for rollout using a Novak 17.5 brushless in 1/12th scale? Also what gearing (spur and pinion) and tire size for that rollout?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.