Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Torque steer and slipping rear diff issues... >

Torque steer and slipping rear diff issues...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Torque steer and slipping rear diff issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default TC3 diff bearings

The large bearings that support the diff in the housing are the same.
Do you have two small bearings in the middle of your current diffs (one fits in the middle of the ring gear) or are they phosphor bronze bushes?
If you have bearings they should be OK in the new diff. If not, I suggest you get some.
Are you installing tungsten carbide diff balls? Definitely worth the outlay.

regards
Don
Old 01-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i have extra carbide diff balls laying around so yeah.

but no, im pretty sure my diffs have bushings right now. What is the correct size bearings to use with the tc4 steel outdrives? (id check myself right now but im at school)

now that i think about it...the incident that caused this may have attributed to any tweak the car might currently have...

Last edited by Syber Serulean; 01-30-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Talking

yea chris im pretty sure your chassie is tweaked. u need to take the car completly apart and just have the bare chassie on a flat surface and see if it rocks back and forth and if not do the same thing and check it with a feeler gauge which i know dad has. and with the diffs also try shimming the shaft there. they could be to tight and cauing the plastic to heat up
Old 01-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Syber hope this helps http://www.niftech.com/catalog/index.cgi?mode=TC3
Old 01-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TeckLancer
yea chris im pretty sure your chassie is tweaked. u need to take the car completly apart and just have the bare chassie on a flat surface and see if it rocks back and forth and if not do the same thing and check it with a feeler gauge which i know dad has. and with the diffs also try shimming the shaft there. they could be to tight and cauing the plastic to heat up
i dunno what a feeler guage is o_O

Mini, ill check it out.

edit: oh snaps, titanium shaft! also, which are the bearigns i need if i get the steel outdrives? (gonna get the AE for the tc4 ones since they're cheaper). I notice they have several bearing sizes available
Old 01-31-2008, 06:22 AM
Tech Champion

Dont get me wrong, the tc3 is a great car to take you to a good level of racing, but I had mine for 5 or 6 years and felt it was time to move on to something newer.

Im not saying give up on the car, but on the other hand you would have a new chassis to build, learn new stuff about it and have a clear head that (providing its built right) will be a good base for the brushless setup you have now

Theres only so much frustration one can endure before it really gets on your nerves.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Syber, I used to own a tc3 a long time ago and it was fantastic for its time. But even AE has done away with shaft touring car technology. You might want to consider buying a Cyclone so you can take advatage of all the local Hot Bodies and Hpi races that will be at (Bending Corners/OC Circuit)our local tracks.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

yeah i definately understand you guys but right now it just isnt feasable for me to buy a new RC car. I kinda wanted an Xray T2 007 though, or a TC5. Never really considered a cyclone though i know they are good. Regardless, i just dont have the money right now. I was aiming for a new TC by Xmas this year. Maybe summer if i have enough money. For now, i just want to get my tc3 figured out so i can put down good laptimes all the way up until i get a new TC you know?

but lets say i wanted a new car sooner...how much you think i can get for my tc3? Got the factory team tub chassis too, as well as a handful of spare parts. Would sell as a roller. Im thinking $100 (which makes me sad cuz that carbon fiber chassis itself cost $150, yeah it was expensive). :P

Last edited by Syber Serulean; 01-31-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you see me at the track, hit me up and we can put your car on my setup station/tweak board and maybe make some adjustments. Also, make sure your using carbide or ceramic diff balls only. The regular steel balls suck. Personally, I prefer ceramic, they seem to work smoother and it will also lighten up your drive train.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

ah cool. Mark barton is gonna help me out too. We'll get this thing dialed soon haha.

You know what im not sure what diff balls im using. Both are the stock composite diffs so im thinking theres just steel balls. I have a pack of carbide diff balls, i suppose ill order a second pack for when i figure out which steel outdrives to get (still need to know what bearing goes inside the diff, as opposed to the bushing the current diffs use).