Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie wanted to join race.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 08:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Newbie wanted to join race.

Hi all,
My experience - 1st gas car is Kyosho buggy, upgraded to a new so called fastest engine from Hobby Place, got OS CV instead of CVR, and pay $40 extra to that shop where as Hobby Bug was selling CVR for $220 back then. Never visit that shop again. Oh yes, knew the shop's son in law for years but what the heck, that's the last.
Second car is Ofna Hyper 10 from Swan, with PICCO engine upgrade.
Question is how to prepare for a race?? Number of people needed as well as spare parts...regulations...amount of practice?? Or anything that I need to know in this case. This is a dumb question for some but I guess I have to be a dummy for a while, till I know what I need to know.

Pete
Old 05-08-2002, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

There is a race this weekend, do come down to have a look & you'll learn a lot of things about racing.

For more info go to this link http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...&threadid=4812
Old 05-08-2002, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

u never try...u never know.
What the heck, just go for it loh.....
Have fun first...observe other racers.....
Blur is ok....learning it is the essence.
Dun shy....just go for it.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for all ur info, guess it make sense. Will definately come this Sun. See ya!
Old 05-09-2002, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

hey guys, i may not be worthy to say what i am abt to say, but after hearing what SOMEONE had to tell me abt open races, I think that the prizes that you get are considered 'unrewarding' for the kind of money and effort that you put into your car....

I know about the 'feeling' of winning is very good but what about the newbies?? those who find it hard to win?? there are no incentives that those guys get to make then want to come back for another race to try harder....no support from the distributors...what's worst, they may even end up spending more $$ if their car comes back in 3 or 4 pieces......

i am not blaming the organisers also but why don't you guys have better stuff either for the lucky draw or the prizes for the race itself to entice the newbies to carry on this hobby?? But then again, this is just an opinion which i may not be worthy to voice out ( or type out )...pls don't think of this as something which is trying to psycho those ppl out there not to go to open races or any race for that matter..... And pls don't think any less of me after posting this message.....

Peace out
Old 05-09-2002, 07:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Are those just parts and puzzles for a newcomer??? Get conned by shops, confuse after reading RC mags and forums? Accepting despise look from shop keepers just becos i didn't buy kit from them?? Maybe there should be a beginner open race after all ?? I forgot all those shit matter the moment I smell that rich nitro burning smell. Guess that's what keeps me going. Anyway, as a newbie, feedback from shops are as follows (just hoping that newcomer dun go to the wrong door!)

*Hobby bug

Ben is most helpful and nice but the other heavy smoker guy and the lady are like "yes and no" kind of ppl, no options and no suggestions or help expected from the two of them when the part I wanted to buy has no stock.

*Hobby place

I saw good feedback about this shop but I swear to myself I will
never step into it ever. I got conned paying a OS CVR price for a OS CV.

*Swan

Bought Ofna from here though it's not the best kit because of boss's friendlyness, good supply of spare parts and decent price.

*Hobby link

Boss is a OK guy, helpful and patient too even on the phone. I may buy next kit from them. A Serpent maybe?

* The shop at Yishun central

Price is high on almost everything, the lady quoted me $700 to $800 for a V1S without controller????

* Toy Kar at forum

Rude service and expensive too

*Toy Kar at Bukit Timah

Alvin is nice and helpful, price is reasonable, widest range of Kyosho include planes, helis, tanks and of cos V1R!!!!

Pete
Old 05-09-2002, 05:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

I started racing with only 2 sets of tires abt 7 yrs ago, but the think abt racing is not abt winning at times, if a newbie races just for incentive, then this will not really be called a hobby anymore will it?? Its will look sort of like gambling, anyway, what I am trying to say is, its a hobby, we(some of us) race to just pit our skills with better skilled ppl, just to improve, and if we win some thing in the lucky draw(if there is one) its a bonus.

Lets just have fun and race for teh love of it and not teh prizes guys.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

Yes....Fun and enjoyment is more important.
Got win lucky draw will be nice lah.....
All newbie play together....improvement will be slow.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Heads up to those who enter races for the prizes, FYI in all forms of motorsports, be it 1:1, 1:5, 1:8 or 1:10... the prizes are NEVER worth the effort. Even in "Grand Prix" ( French for "big prize", "big reward" ) racing, the million or so the car manufacturers may get per race is peanuts compared to the tens or hundreds of millions they spent on R and D, driver pay, technician etc etc. RACING WAS NEVER AND NEVER WILL BE A PROFITABLE BUSINESS FOR THOSE FOOTING THE BILL. PERIOD. It has always been about "win on Sunday, sell on Monday", there can never ever be direct profits, ESPECIALLY at the top levels of competition.
SIGH sometimes I find it sad that Singaporeans find it hard to see the fun side of this hobby. To most Singaporeans, its always about speed, racing etc.... reality check man, THIS HOBBY IS WAY BIGGER THAN THAT : ) I find it incredulous (spelling : P) that many ppl are buying TOY cars not for their engineering, cute design or fun-factor, but only because they can race them in official races : P
Thats why fun rc toys like monster trucks, tanks, motorcycles etc can never catch on here... we simply overstress on the competition aspect of things.
I say, bring back teh good old days where we still had PLAY SESSIONS on weekends in CCK..... "race what you brung" , the reward is fun with like-minded (crazy? : ) ) friends.
In competition, I still feel there is more to rewards than just the prize money.... passion, fun, enjoyment, glory and honour all play a part, whether you win or not.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:49 PM
AO
Tech Addict

To me, play car is the time to know more friends and also have lots of lots of fun.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree, race is not about winning or lucky draw. It's about learning new things and having fun with this hobby. Those pro drivers have been to many races and that's make them what they are today, they also first start out as newbies going to the driver stand with their legs trembling and banging their car through the track. Hey Pros out there, don't get offended
Old 05-09-2002, 08:02 PM
AO
Tech Addict

Originally posted by ART2
I agree, race is not about winning or lucky draw. It's about learning new things and having fun with this hobby. Those pro drivers have been to many races and that's make them what they are today, they also first start out as newbies going to the driver stand with their legs trembling and banging their car through the track. Hey Pros out there, don't get offended
Art2 you so free?

So how want to go electric race?
Old 05-09-2002, 08:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by AO

Art2 you so free?

So how want to go electric race?
Heard that on the 26th may got an open race at CCK, I will be going to that race. AO got modified motor for sale a not, cos Zoom is selling Chrome Modified for $85 but they are all old stock. Want to get a 13 turn motor, question, 13*2 better or 13*3 better. Got any reccomandation?
Old 05-09-2002, 11:23 PM
Tech Adept

hi art2 wanna buy my GM racing 12x3 hand wound motor?? selling at 45.... used twice...... fast.....sms me at 98296046 or mail me at [email protected]
Old 05-19-2002, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Playing car is fun. U can have maximum control over it. it will be mor fun if ur frens join in. imagine a few cars running around a track...... but dun use it to annoy the residents and those playing GP, pls spare a thought too especially if u are playing near residential areas.

Taking part in race, u will learn more things, especially better driving and tuning of cars. u will also see a lot of equipments and widen ur knowledge by talking to the pro racers...

Winning is a glory, achievements etc. although it may cost a lot to achieve that goals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.