• 1 Post By Sir 51D3WAYS
  • 1 Post By Justhandguns

GM Racing Digital HEL 4000 Universe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 06:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? GM Racing Digital HEL 4000 Universe

I have recently acquired this this vintage GM HEL 4000 Universe ESC. (It appeared multiple times in some other forum, exact same ESC)

The seller (maybe a member here as well) sent the ESC with a copy of the German manual. I still can't properly test it as I don't even know whether it is functioning properly or not.
I am also very puzzle by the double signal leads, which I suspect that the second one (with the yellow shunt installed) is for some sort of functions when connected to the 3rd channel?
The keypads are responding but I don't even know how to pair it with my Futaba receiver when I power it up.
Any help and suggestions?

P.S. I am going to scan the manual when I have time and put it as a pdf file.

I am also very puzzle by the double signal leads, which I suspect that the second one (with the yellow shunt installed) is for some sort of functions when connected to the 3rd channel?
The keypads are responding but I don't even know how to pair it with my Futaba receiver when I power it up.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:04 PM
Tech Champion

Run the manual through google translate as a starting point. Then wire up a motor and a batt and a receiver, carefully referencing the manual. I think the second receiver lead is for the BEC, like older Tamiya ESCs. You have to plug both in to the receiver. One in channel 2 and the other in the battery channel.
Old 11-24-2022, 03:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Yes, doing exactly that. I just can't find any info about the 2nd lead. The receiver powered up when I connected it with just one lead, I may try to connect the 2nd one to the batt socket and see.

I hope I can get it to work at least.
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Finally got it to work. Apparently you need to connect the motor first to hear the 'beep' for settings.... a bit like the current Castle ESCs. I also found out that the 2nd signal lead is for traction control, also a bit like some of the Castle Creation ESCs where you can adjust drag brake via a third channel on your receiver.

Still need to find out more on how to use the other functions such as current limiter, brake adjustment so on and so forth. Can't imagine that such technology exist in the 90s' but not made popular.
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:27 AM
Tech Champion

Most interesting. This must have been a fairly posh ESC back in the day then....
Justhandguns likes this.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS
Most interesting. This must have been a fairly posh ESC back in the day then....
I am wondering if this or the Tekin 410k came out first. The Tekin was awesome and when you first powered on, it played the 5 notes from Close Encounters.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:49 AM
Tech Initiate

I found some info on another forum. The first ESC with keypad was called the Purge, developed in Brisbane Australia by a guy called Noel Lovisa. Apparently Tekin acquired his idea and made the 410K. GM in Germany somehow made the HEL series the year after the 410K came out. The name HEL, was probably derived from GM's designer at that time, Ralf Helbing. The electronic designs of the 410K and the HEL are very different as well, other than having keypads for settings and adjustments. I would love to get my hands on the Tekin 410K (at a reasonable price of course), but they are only getting rarer and rarer these days.
gee-dub likes this.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

I'm sure Ralf Helbling (probably the RH on the ESC) was on this forum in the past???

I've never seen this ESC before. Looks very advanced for its era.

Last edited by sosidge; 12-08-2022 at 04:50 AM. Reason: I was wrong about the username
Old 12-09-2022, 04:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sosidge
I'm sure Ralf Helbling (probably the RH on the ESC) was on this forum in the past???

I've never seen this ESC before. Looks very advanced for its era.
Yes, might as well be the case. HEL 4000 seems to be the last in the series. I think GM moved on to make the V-series afterwards.