Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR to change lipo voltage to 4.20 and 8.40

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21
If it was up to me, you would be removed from the event.

Have you ever been hit by the NiMh projectiles when they exploded?
Have you ever had $2000 worth of race equipment ruined because of a LiPo fire in your pit?

The punishment is light and a slap on the hand if you ask me?

It's a safety thing dude
My last post on the topic.

Yes on the NiMh, no on the lipo fire. I've never even heard of it happening in RC racing (yes I've seen the overcharge videos on youtube). If it has I doubt it was from a battery getting to 8.44V. Like I said, if someone goes over 8.44 have at it. Throw them out. But do you really want to spoil someone's weekend in which they took time off work and spent good money on an event because their charger isn't accurate and charged to 8.42 instead of 8.40V? Not very receptive IMO.

Wasn't it the Core RC chargers that were overcharging at the first ROAR event after lipos were made legal?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Champion

If you have unintentionally had first hand experience of any cell explode you will know safety is paramount. Personally, I have with some IB4200, and at the time, did not think I would be hearing out of one ear again... Can you put a price on a hobby?

If you have intentionally had first hand experience of any cell explode... well... I would have to question pitting next to you.

Rules about safety to me, are zero tolerance. I probably didnt think too much about them before my incident though...

In short, the rule got tightened to stop an advantage, and more importantly, to promote safety. I call that a good move if even 1 cell didnt explode/whatever at 8.4 but did at 8.44...
Old 12-22-2009, 08:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
But do you really want to spoil someone's weekend in which they took time off work and spent good money on an event because their charger isn't accurate and charged to 8.42 instead of 8.40V? Not very receptive IMO.

Wasn't it the Core RC chargers that were overcharging at the first ROAR event after lipos were made legal?
If a person spent good money to come to an event and at the end of the day is not following the rules I have zero sympathy for them. Do I feel bad yes, I don't want to DQ a racer for anything, but rules are rules, if you choose to NOT follow the rules there are implications. Like I said I have my voltmeter available to everyone, if that person decides not to use it, it's on them, if they're overcharging their batteries it's on them.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

And yes, three of the Core chargers did overcharge LiPo's one of which was found at a Roar event, more a QC thing that was checked before I received them.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If a person spent good money to come to an event and at the end of the day is not following the rules I have zero sympathy for them. Do I feel bad yes, I don't want to DQ a racer for anything, but rules are rules, if you choose to NOT follow the rules there are implications. Like I said I have my voltmeter available to everyone, if that person decides not to use it, it's on them, if they're overcharging their batteries it's on them.
I know I said it was my last post but this really is... It isn't them not following the rules. If it is a charger accuracy problem then it is the charger not following the rules. Completely understand the voltmeter being available but if it is truly a safety issue then saying it is "OK" to run them down in the pits doesn't really address the safety issue, does it? Like I said, the tolerance seems like it was a good idea to address accuracy problems with chargers. Now if someone got their charger upgraded to 8.44 and then there is an accuracy problem then throw the book at them. Those of us with 2 year old inexpensive chargers that are just inaccurate should get some slack (if it is within +/- .05% of 8.4v)
Old 12-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Roar allows LiPo's - racers complain because they have to buy new chargers

Racers read the rules and complain because their chargers that they just bought don't charge to 8.44V.

Charger company's complain because now they have to rewrite their software to maximize the allowance knowing the entire time that 8.40V is the rule. But they still do it because racers demand it

Racers complain because they have to spend more money to send the chargers back to the company to get updated...sometimes twice if you run a GFX.

Sounds like it's worked great
And now the chargers need to be upgraded again, Schmacher should sell chargers.

The rule did change. A 4.22/cell battery was legal in 2009 and it won't be in 2010. The 'tolerance' rule was set in place for the chargers that went a bit over. Some charger companies came out with a upgrade to run the batteries to 8.44, where they were being teched. Now the little guy whose charger runs a bit over 8.40, and forgets to check his battery one time will be banned from the event WTF.

LiPo dischargers will out next that will run your battery down 4.2049v/cell
Old 12-22-2009, 08:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by or8ital
I know I said it was my last post but this really is... It isn't them not following the rules. If it is a charger accuracy problem then it is the charger not following the rules. Completely understand the voltmeter being available but if it is truly a safety issue then saying it is "OK" to run them down in the pits doesn't really address the safety issue, does it? Like I said, the tolerance seems like it was a good idea to address accuracy problems with chargers. Now if someone got their charger upgraded to 8.44 and then there is an accuracy problem then throw the book at them. Those of us with 2 year old inexpensive chargers that are just inaccurate should get some slack (if it is within +/- .05% of 8.4v)
That racer would have to take that up with their charger company then.

3 years ago there was a huge variance in voltage from one charger to the other, now, 3 years later those companies have had more than enough time to refine their software to charge their batteries properly. Chargers are 400% more accurate than 3 years ago.

And if someone got their charger upgraded to 8.44 and they read the roar rules that have been there they wouldn't have done it in the first place
Old 12-22-2009, 08:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by bboard
And now the chargers need to be upgraded again, Schmacher should sell chargers.

The rule did change. A 4.22/cell battery was legal in 2009 and it won't be in 2010. The 'tolerance' rule was set in place for the chargers that went a bit over. Some charger companies came out with a upgrade to run the batteries to 8.44, where they were being teched. Now the little guy whose charger runs a bit over 8.40, and forgets to check his battery one time will be banned from the event WTF.

LiPo dischargers will out next that will run your battery down 4.2049v/cell
The same battery is legal as last year, that's not different, for 1S I saw exactly one person at 4.21V all weekend, and the was one qual, every other racer was 4.20 or lower

We do sell chargers, and 3 of them over the past 2 years charged higher than 8.40V, they charge to 8.40V and are $99.99
Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just to clarify, there is NO tolerance for the voltage limit now?
I can't show up at tech with a pack that's at 8.39v?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
Just to clarify, there is NO tolerance for the voltage limit now?
I can't show up at tech with a pack that's at 8.39v?
8.40V is the MAXIMUM ALLOWED VOLTAGE for a 2S LiPo pack
Old 12-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I was thinking about trying to make it to the roar onroad nats this year in norcal.. but I think ill pass!

"sorry, the tires you opened out of the package are .0001 milimiters too wide, you are DQ'd and banned from the event.... Sorry you wasted $1000 with car rental fees, gas, hotel fees for a week, and a week off work, but rules are rules!".
Old 12-22-2009, 08:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
I was thinking about trying to make it to the roar onroad nats this year in norcal.. but I think ill pass!

"sorry, the tires you opened out of the package are .0001 milimiters too wide, you are DQ'd and banned from the event.... Sorry you wasted $1000 with car rental fees, gas, hotel fees for a week, and a week off work, but rules are rules!".
Hence the reason only unopened packages of tires are allowed to be teched
Old 12-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

8.40V is the MAXIMUM ALLOWED VOLTAGE for a 2S LiPo pack
Awesome, thanks. Makes life easier for me.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

[QUOTE=abailey21;6751367]

Charger company's complain because now they have to rewrite their software to maximize the allowance knowing the entire time that 8.40V is the rule.

But they still do it because racers demand it

QUOTE]

it's called CAPITALISM.

its how all of us are able to afford this hobby in the first place.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The same battery is legal as last year, that's not different The 8.44v batteries can be run then? is that what your saying?

We do sell chargers, and 3 of them over the past 2 years charged higher than 8.40V, they charge to 8.40V and are $99.99 Is that why your being a dick so you can sell a $100 or $99.99 charger.

BTW unless you are teching in the pits how are you enforcing saftey? If a persons charger runs a battery up over 8.40, and they then discharge it to your limit, is there still not a risk of that dreaded lipo fire that your so afraid of? A lipo doesnt just spontaniastly combust, first it heats up then it swells all the time giving you a chance to unplug it and run it outside.

Most indoor facilities require LiPo bags, doesn't this solve the lipo fire problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.