Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sakura D3 FWD????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Sakura D3 FWD????

I've seen pictures of this but has anyone had experience with it? Thinking of turning mine into a FWD for USGT. I just need to take the pins out of the rear cvds and get new springs i think...

Last edited by Bknoww; 03-26-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

No?
Old 03-27-2015, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

There is a 4wd version I think would be more suitable to try. Seems like most drift cars use a spool in the back, one way in the front so you would need to buy a sakura zero/xi rear dif. You could prob use the spool up front.
How it would handle would depend a great deal on track layout, traction level and driving style. In low traction the drift layouts seem to do quite well allowing lots of required weight transfer.
I'd be curious to try a drift turned tc. but most are eiher too flimsy to survive racing or too expensive to want to try heh.
Another interesting front engine design you.might look at is the tamiya xv01tc.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default FWD USGT

I am also gonna give FWD USGT a go. I just need to find time to get my VBC Twelve together. I certainly would like to hear how you do. Keep us posted
Old 03-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

I pretty much gutted the rear end like the sakura ff. Then i realized getting a decent FDR was nearly impossible with the gearing and motor in the front because of limited space...i wanted to copy this guys set up but i don't want to get smoked by the rest of the 4wd tc's hahaha...

http://wreckitsideways.com/2013/02/20/build-3racing-sakura-d3-part-1/
Old 03-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The biggest problem will be getting the weight out of it. I have been removing a bunch of stuff from my FF to try and get it close to min weight with a full size pack.

You need to move everything as far forward as possible. I have found that to make my FF drive better.

You should have no issues getting the FDR you need. I can get down to a 3.16 with no modifications. You should be able to change the spur, maybe the upper pulley, and get there no problems.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kartermdb
The biggest problem will be getting the weight out of it. I have been removing a bunch of stuff from my FF to try and get it close to min weight with a full size pack.

You need to move everything as far forward as possible. I have found that to make my FF drive better.

You should have no issues getting the FDR you need. I can get down to a 3.16 with no modifications. You should be able to change the spur, maybe the upper pulley, and get there no problems.
What spur and pully size are you using? Does it keep up with other 4wd cars? Got a pic of your set up?
Old 03-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have the first Sakura ff. It is gear driven. No belts. I run the smallest spur made for it, it's a 35.

Last time I raced in usgt it was competitive, however I used a shorty pack to get the weight to 1260. Now I have it weighing 1260 with a full size pack. The min weight is 1200, so with the same power in theory it should be faster due to less weight, assuming it puts the power down.

On carpet I have no issues putting power down, but I have not raced it on pavement with the ride spec tire so I'm not sure how it will run. I can tell you it only struggles on the standing start, it does well once it's moving.