Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC businesses?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb RC businesses?

I really love this RC Electric Touring Car sport. I'd like to ask for ideas on making it my primary business. What sort of business could I start dealing with the RC world of electric touring cars? Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would hang out at the track race as much as posible. Become a little more familiar with racing and equipment and see where your motivation takes you.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Basically you can either sell stuff, or service, or make stuff (and sell it).

You can start working in a hobby shop or open one yourself. There are never enough hobby shops with knowlegdeable staff. You can start painting bodies. There is even a market for repairing RTR cars and such. You could open a RC workshop, repairing cars, truing tires, rebuilding motors.

Or you can find some product that the RC market needs and start manufacturing. For example AMB has monopoly on timing systems. But they're expensive. If you can make AMB compatible timing system, at low price, you could make serious bucks. Please don't try to make yet another charger or ESC or start new battery matching business, there are enough of those. You could also find some weak point on popular car and make unbreakable replacement part. I know of a guy who designs parts like spools, has them machined for him and sells them at races.

The possibilities are endless,,, but if you have to ask,,, then I doubt that you can do it.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyber3d
I really love this RC Electric Touring Car sport. I'd like to ask for ideas on making it my primary business. What sort of business could I start dealing with the RC world of electric touring cars? Any ideas?
Do not become a reseller of anything.

The money lies in the design, manufacture and sale of an original product. If you do not have the expertise or financial capital to do such a thing, I suggest not even trying.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The first thing you should do is a bunch of research on the entire hobby industry. You should also research retail businesses.

Be careful about turning a hobby into a business. What was a pastime is now your job. Can you afford to have fun?

If you have enough technicial expertise, you could go into the aftermarket business, like BMI. But you have to worry about copycats, and possibly infringing on some else's patent. As soon as the word lawyer pops up, you're done!

It's not that it can't be done, but most people don't know what they're getting into and end up losing a lot of money. Your most powerful tool is information. Stock up on that before you invest.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

You could tune and sell EPIC based stock and 19-turn motors. And you could match and sell IB batteries to diversity the product line.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stop down at SIR Raceway and Hobby in Kent, WA.. Hang out at the track and see what type of parts or services may be needed.

Charley
Old 08-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cyber3d
I'd like to ask for ideas on making it my primary business.
To be blunt - if you need to ask for ideas your not cut out for business.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

To open a hobby shop you are looking at a large investment of time and money, I know i just opened one. I dont think that I will see the black(profit) for a long time. I dont even work (full time) at the hobby shop as it would not support my family. Honestly you have to have something different to offer if you plan on going into the aftermarket/ hop-up industry.

Do lots and lots and lots of research. If you think you have done enough then you havnt. This industry is in a changing state right now, if you can find a nitch that you can fill you have a chance. As people said before i really wouldnt go down the battery/motor tuner way. I have a friend that does batteries and he has a full time job to support him.

The best idea that I have heard in this thread is RTR repairs. I sell 20-30 RTR's to every 1 kit I sell. I have one guy that I have his information in the shop he does motor break-in, tuning and repairs. I send him 2 or 3 people a week. I am not sure exactly how much he charges but it is a good side business.

If you wanted to do that, and have the skills or know how, talk to your local hobby shop about it. If they already dont offer the service ask them if they would suggest you to people. If all goes good make up some cards and have them give them out with each kit they sell.

let me know if you have any questions.

Corey
Old 08-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

A hobby shop has competition with the current mass of online stores , seems everyone prefers the online bargains.
Motors and battery matchers are already flooded the market.
Repairs are needed for people who buy RTR, kit buyers prefer to build and fix themselves, but you need to sell the RTR to get the customer back for repairs otherwise they dont know who you are.
I found a niche in the market, and that was opening up a Party entertainment centre providing RC Hire Car Racing for Group parties.
This is alot of capital alot of overheads and alot of time involved with repairs and supervision/teaching, in the end its not worth the money, sometimes i wonder why i bothered.
To keep the time and fun of the hobby you enjoy, RC business is too much work .
You would generally be better off working for someone else and having more time and money for the hobby.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Tech Initiate

"seems everyone prefers the online bargains"

Sometimes there isnt a viable alternative to online stores, or your local model shop doesnt carry the stock you need.

I was kept busy 2 days a week in my local model shop repairing RTR Cars / Trucks / Aircraft for people who didnt have the time or knowledge to repair the 'broken' parts. On an average week there were at least 10 - 15 broken Cars / Trucks to repair.

If you can show your local shop you have the aptitude and experience, ask them if they need an extra hand on repairs... at least that will give you some experience and get your foot on the ladder...
Old 08-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sosidge
To be blunt - if you need to ask for ideas your not cut out for business.
Sorry Sosidge, only an idiot would not ask questions! And I'm no idiot!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Thanks for the response guys! I'm sure I can start a business providing needed services or products for the entheusiast! I'll do a bit more research and a bit of planning and who knows what will happen. I know I want to do it. It'll be fun too.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

working in your local shop has other advantages as well. Getting your rc gear at cost.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Keep in mind, once you make this hobby your business, its no longer a hobby. And once its no longer a hobby, it no longer is any fun like it used to be. Give that a thought before you decide to go further.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.