Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you practice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Badboy I might join you.

So far my ideas are to buy a lap timing system like the Orion LCS so I can metric my times at practice sessions, or anywhere.

Last night was very frustrating because I made some suspension changes to counter some pushing on turn-in then discovered that my chassis braces were forgotten. Then I installed the chassis braces and went to taller gearing for the main, which was a bad idea because I was slower down the straight than other people until the 2nd half of the straight where others would top out and I would catch up. But in the infield I would suffer with less torque. My car started pushing like crazy, and I didn't understand it but I've hypothesized that my battery wasn't secure since I milled my TC3 chassis out for the battery relocation mod but forgot to put foam to stop the battery from sliding left and right. The car would lose traction in some laps, but not others and was very unruly, this is why I think it was some weight shifting problem.

Only one person has suggested that I get an offroad car. I never thought about buying a simulator but i'm sure that would help a whole lot. Do they come with real RC controls too? That is the best way to get tracktime, I guess, since I can play at night time too.

As for a little bio here we go:
New racer, started around 7/15
I really suck in low traction conditions
I enjoy high bite conditions
FT TC3 w/ KO 2343 chassis milled, Losi hubs, brand new bearings
4 matched batteries

I have learned how to do tweak which got me a lot of speed. I am fortunate to have made friends with a few really knowledgable racers and they have helped me immensely.

Tracktime Tracktime Tracktime

A side note --- what really pissed me off last night was that I qualified 4th in the sportsman A main but after a tight start and putting myself into a wall by spinning the car out, I was in last place. The car felt totally different than the previous round, probably because I forgot to stick something by the battery to keep it from moving. My lap times were super slow in the main because I kept losing control. Finished 7th or 6th, I don't remember --- any case it was not a good finish.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Please keep them coming.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by rod_b
There is no replacement for track time. RealRace and VirtualRC is not too bad though. Do you feel you can make your car do what you want it to? What kind of car? If it's a higher end vehicle, then the box stock setup is usually a good starting point. Get some tires that work at the track. Have you ever tried following other cars? Try following cars that are slower than you at first...then move on to faster cars. Don't try to pass, just try to follow. This teaches you many things...like where you are fast on the track, where you are slow on the track, where you can make up time, where you can try to make passes, where other cars are more planted than you..stuff like that. I can usually get a feel for the fast lines on a track by following people.
I don't have a feel for my car yet. Right now it's all reflex driving and strategy. I'm really interested in more input regarding RC simulators. That is a tracktime solution that sounds great and the cars on the simulator never break down, do they.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Have your own personal corner-marshal. There's nothing worse than rolling your car when you're the only guy at the track. Plus, they can give you instant feedback on how you're driving and lines to take.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

One of the best things I did when I first started racing was buying a HPI Micro RS4 and the orange little cones and set up my own course in the garage. With that little car I could get run times at right around 30 minutes, and I could set up new courses in seconds. It DRAMATICALLY improved my hand eye coordination. Just make sure you design yourself challenging tracks and it'll make you better fast. I literally spent 20+ hours over a weekend DRIVING and it made a huge difference in my ability to control my other cars, both on carpet and dirt.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

I tried to drive fast before when I first got a car but it doesn't help without a plan! Honestly driving an R/C Motorcycle really helped me, it's weird.

Throttle Control: With a bike you need to be smooth on the acceleration coming out of a corner, or else the front end will wheelie or the whole bike will do a tankslapper. Also on braking you can't just slam on the brakes or else the bike will lock up and dump or the tankslapping thing again. After many frustrating crashes my throttle control is now forcibly "restrained" and pretty smooth as a result.

Lines: With motorcycles it made me pay attention to my driving lines a lot. Basically the less you lean it over in the technical sections the faster you are, because you can't transition at faster speeds. I make it a habit to trace out the most ideal lines very slowly at first. I'll attach some pics to illustrate. After you get the throttle and lines down you slowly bring the car up to speed but keep the smoothness and flow. Good starting point is 1/4 - 1/2 constant throttle through the technical sections.
Attached Thumbnails How do you practice?-corner-90.gif  
Old 09-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Another line pic
Attached Thumbnails How do you practice?-corner-180.gif  
Old 09-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default driving lessons

donoman well have driving lesson friday afternoon at gilroy
Old 09-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Last one
Attached Thumbnails How do you practice?-corner-chicane.gif  
Old 09-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Mini-Z, anything larger scale after that will feel sluggish and become easier to control.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

i just practice techniques with my tc3 up and down my street, stuff like going full speed and then praticeing braking and sharp turns etc.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I have the best training regime for you Donoman..

the secret to fast is smoothness and driving clean.

setup is simple but partience is not.. I have attached below the latest training aid..
Attached Thumbnails How do you practice?-abs.jpg  
Old 09-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i believe its on tamiyas website but they have some good racing tips on there on how to practice and racing lines and what not..
Old 09-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

badboy hehe NSFW

might not work for skills but definitely helps the motivation =)
Old 09-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Donoman I know I tried your car last weekend and said it was good by I never realized the driving problems you were having. Next race if you want I can analyze your lines and driving style more carefully and tell you want you can do.

For now, just stick with one setup that is driveable, not necessarily fast. You shouldn't worry too much about setup just yet... too much to learn. No one becomes expert after 1 month of racing. if you can maintain smooth and efficient lines throughout 5 minutes (that takes concentration and getting into a rythym) I guarantee you will win! (in sportsman class that is ) Cya
Old 09-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by BadBoyRC
I have the best training regime for you Donoman..

the secret to fast is smoothness and driving clean.

setup is simple but partience is not.. I have attached below the latest training aid..

What Aurra and Badboy are saying is correct. Donoman,I have seen you drive.For a begginer,your really good.You are like me when you get frustrated though. But if you can, even going to a relatively clean and smooth parking lot and throughing down some dots{losi dots are super cheap} and some soda,you can get alot of practice in a small area.I have seen Lex do this.It was his way to get extra practice and it has worked for him.Work on your lines first.Learning to control your car in many different conditions like has been suggested.When your proficient at that,then you can start to learn the deeper things like setup changes and what they do. Take badboy up on his offer if you can.He can teach you a thing or 2.Most of all.Don't give up.you get the feeling! Look at Jaime.He and I started racing at the same time 5 years ago.I kicked his butt constantly in the beggining. I quit racing for almost 3 years and when I came back he was very fast.I couldnt beat him for quite some time.He never gave up and I couldnt believe how good he got.See you soon bro!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.