Wiki Posts
Search

Silvercan vs Brushless alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Silvercan vs Brushless alternatives

Hi everyone, Im really after everyones thoughts on what Brushless combination has worked for them to replace silvercans as a starter or cheaper entry level class.

There seems to be a move towards moving to brusless motor and speedcontrols here and 21-5 seems to be the favoured option so far,

So what have you found is it another speed control motor war ie- Tekin vs the rest, or has it worked out by restricting the motor esc combo?

anyones thoughts greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

17.5t NON BOOSTED is probably the best alternative. once you allow boosting 17.5t can be just too fast.

13.5t is too fast to be silver can alternative
Old 01-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Wallot, at our local track we ran silvercan vs a 21-5 non boosted and speed seemed pretty comparable, remember we are also talking about a beginners class as well, is 17-5 not too fast for a novice driver?

thanks again for the reply.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

for some even silver can is too fast

but I guess that 21.5 would be closer to the standard johnson silver can which is about 27-29t brushed.

but 17.5t is still slow enough for beginners if they realize that they cant hold full throttle all the time

with non boosted 17.5t i can hold WOT all the time in my F1 if the track is bit open.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Adept

Totally agree with that the other thig is at the moment our next touring car class is 13-5 boosted so there is a massive jump in performance going up a class. At another club a top driver there is turning faster laps with his 13-5 setup than the open Mod guys.

so you see our dilemma anyway keep the imputs coming guys
Old 01-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

21.5 with a ZERO timing ESC in my opinion is on par with a good silver can.

Running some laps with my F104 equipped with the above combo against another F104 with his practice silver can yesterday, and my car had a bit more rip but laptimes were within 0.2 seconds.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

speed and power wise a 21.5 or 25.5 is probably the closest to a "normal" silvercan".

last night I ran a 21.5 for the first time in a sedan, it very much like when I used to run Tamiya GT3 silvercan.

for cost control, The Speedpassion stock spec system can't be beat, I just saw a motor/esc 17.5 combo for 89.00 on speedtechrc.com . I should know this, but I don't, If that system is available in a 21.5 that would be the ticket to a cost controlled entry level spec class. I do believe novak has a similar system.

that was the question right, entry level class.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

We run this class at our local club 21.5 no timing.. and it proves to be some of the closest racing of any class.. and you can still have silver cans run in the class for the ppl that still have them.

No matter what brand speedie aslong as it has the stock spec flashing lights or is on he zero timing roar list then you can use that speedie at our club.

At present the lap record is held by a silver can.. only just. So its not too fast and less to look after with comm drops and cleaning..

Cheers
Old 01-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Addict

Does your club allow any motor or only motors with fixed timing.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skypilot
speed and power wise a 21.5 or 25.5 is probably the closest to a "normal" silvercan".

last night I ran a 21.5 for the first time in a sedan, it very much like when I used to run Tamiya GT3 silvercan.

for cost control, The Speedpassion stock spec system can't be beat, I just saw a motor/esc 17.5 combo for 89.00 on speedtechrc.com . I should know this, but I don't, If that system is available in a 21.5 that would be the ticket to a cost controlled entry level spec class. I do believe novak has a similar system.

that was the question right, entry level class.
Hi skypilot , yes that was part of the question the other was as a replacement for our 540 sivercan class.

Sorry I should have been a bit more specific, at the moment our class structure is this

Novice class- 540 silvercan powered beginners class

Stock Touring- 540 Silvercan unlimited 2 cell Lipos no Gearing limit

Super Stock- 13-5 boosted

Open Mod- unlimited Motor and Batts

So you can see there is a big jump from our touring stock class to 13-5

thanks for the reply
Old 01-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by warnos
We run this class at our local club 21.5 no timing.. and it proves to be some of the closest racing of any class.. and you can still have silver cans run in the class for the ppl that still have them.

No matter what brand speedie aslong as it has the stock spec flashing lights or is on he zero timing roar list then you can use that speedie at our club.

At present the lap record is held by a silver can.. only just. So its not too fast and less to look after with comm drops and cleaning..

Cheers
Hi Warnos

as an interem step I think the intension is to run silvercans vs Brushless in our stock class, so thats good to hear that the trusty silvercan is still on par with its newer replacement,

So do you guys have any gearing limits for the class? also have you found that all the 21-5 s have similar performance.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Skitee
Does your club allow any motor or only motors with fixed timing.
Hi Skitee

are you talking brushed or brushless?

for our stock class its fixed timing Johnson 540s for 13-5 its open timing,at the moment we do not run brushless in the stock class. A few people at other clubs are trialling 21-5s now for this years upcoming AGM for a direct comparison.

This is why Im after any and all peoples opinions on direct comparisons

Thanks again for the replies
Old 01-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Addict

Yip I was asking Warnos about the brushless 21.5's they run with the silver cans.

Originally Posted by Toolmannz2
Hi Skitee

are you talking brushed or brushless?

for our stock class its fixed timing Johnson 540s for 13-5 its open timing,at the moment we do not run brushless in the stock class. A few people at other clubs are trialling 21-5s now for this years upcoming AGM for a direct comparison.

This is why Im after any and all peoples opinions on direct comparisons

Thanks again for the replies
Old 01-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toolmannz2
Hi skypilot , yes that was part of the question the other was as a replacement for our 540 sivercan class.

Sorry I should have been a bit more specific, at the moment our class structure is this

Novice class- 540 silvercan powered beginners class

Stock Touring- 540 Silvercan unlimited 2 cell Lipos no Gearing limit

Super Stock- 13-5 boosted

Open Mod- unlimited Motor and Batts

So you can see there is a big jump from our touring stock class to 13-5

thanks for the reply
that is a very good line up of classes, it is a bit of a jump from silvercan to boosted 13.5, but if you master the silvercan then your driving should not be a issue, you have to get used to the extra speed and using throttle control. not sure of the size of your track, but how close is boosted 13.5 to mod?

we have a huge track and i suggested something close to that and it is feared that boosted 13.5 would hurt the mod turn out.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

At our track we only run 13-5 boosted as we dont have the numbers to run Mod as well.

But at our last regional champs on a Large flowing Outdoor track (85 metre straight) the top local driver there was Faster in his 13-5 powered TC than all the Open Mod drivers.

He was the only driver to get 15 laps for the meeting, but even the other top 13-5 drivers were doing 14 laps still the same as open Mod.

So I think the guys in your club are correct to be worried about it diluting the Mod class

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.