Search

Buggy Driving Beginner Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Buggy Driving Beginner Tips?

Hey,

I've finally decided to race the 8ight that I've had sitting around for a while, in favor of the normal MT class that I run. Obviously it handles much different so it will take some getting used to.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering what people are doing during practice (and races) to help improve their driving techniques enabling them to push a higher limit.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:47 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

to begin, the 1st thing is to not push. minimize time needing marshal. hit ur lines, view the track to see where the line should be an where the track is blown out. look at the attitude and condition of the jumps. simply knowin that the center of the ramp is blown and throwin the cars everywhere and thus u take either side every lap is a good feather in ur cap.

keep it running and follow all those stupidly simple principles and that'll take care of 1/2 the field already

R
Old 07-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Slow and steady. Speed will come natrually. Last season was my first season running the 8ight. my biggest problems came with the jumps. i would mash the throttle to get over them. Your better off thinking of the jumps as speed bumps. Just drive over them. onces you feel comfortable start giving it more thorttle over the jumps.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

I suppose another portion to this question would be. How do you know when you r car needs some tweeking to get it more "in tune" with the track your running?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Tech Lord

that will come with time.....and also checking out the competition in their heat isnt a bad idea either....see what lines there takin....ask them what there set-up is....for the most part tho the 8ight wont need much tweekin...read up on the losi thread's and ull be ok.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The best advice I can give you is to not over power it. If you're new to 1/8th scale pick up a low-cost motor like the O.S. VG. First off besides saving money you can beat on it without worrying much about losing a $400+ motor. Second, slow is fast. You will be able to drive the car a lot smoother and learn your lines. You will get faster even with the VG. Then when you get the car's setup dialed in and you wear out the VG, then pick up a faster motor (if you even want to. You may find that you really like the VG). 95% of the guys at the track have WAY more motor than they can handle.

Also, when the faster guys come up behind you, let them pass. You're more likely to keep on running and not get into a hackfast where you'll lose more time b/c you have to get marshalled. You'd be AMAZED at how much your lap times improve having clean runs. So don't over-drive the car trying to keep up with everyone. It will come with time.

Besides that, look to fellow racers for setup help and tire selection. Have patience and you will have a lot of FUN!

Best of luck,
Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Akhor
I suppose another portion to this question would be. How do you know when you r car needs some tweeking to get it more "in tune" with the track your running?
one thing i did was i went to teamlosi.com and downloaded adam drakes set up. After i set up the buggy i made little changes, but the buggy always felt good to me.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I would say de-tune your motor, if its tuned then it will be harder for you to drive. You dont need something that is going to be out of control. Focus on staying in the middle of the track. Dont worry about lines or going fast. nedd to learn how to stay on the track and be consistant. Lines and speed will come later
Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the hints.

This was pretty much the theory I was going by which was stay on your wheels, don't get marshalled and make it around the track. Then as I get more laps into the race I'm able to add more speed in specific sections I'm comfortable with.

Quick question about breaking.. I've been trying to break a little before the corners so I can roll threw then "on power exit". However I noticed some going in fast, slamming the breaks then on power exit. Which way do you feel is better?
Old 07-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
The best advice I can give you is to not over power it.
Second, slow is fast.
You'd be AMAZED at how much your lap times improve having clean runs.
Besides that, look to fellow racers for setup help and tire selection. Have patience and you will have a lot of FUN!

Best of luck,
+1 to all of the above. Esp. when you get to be my age, you figure out how much gas racing depends on wrenching and staying smooth, 'cause you don't have the reflexes you had 20 years ago, ha ha ha. The setup section in the 8ight manual gives you some pretty good basic tips. Practice days are a great time to play around with setup changes to see how they affect your car and how you like it. Go over your car before the mains and look for anything loose, cracked, be sure ride height hasn't changed, etc. If I have time I like to top off shocks and check clutch/wheel bearings.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the hints.

This was pretty much the theory I was going by which was stay on your wheels, don't get marshalled and make it around the track. Then as I get more laps into the race I'm able to add more speed in specific sections I'm comfortable with.

Quick question about breaking.. I've been trying to break a little before the corners so I can roll threw then "on power exit". However I noticed some going in fast, slamming the breaks then on power exit. Which way do you feel is better?
I've seen both too but the guy who won the A-Main Pro last weekend at our local race event never went up on the burms. He hit the brakes early, got on his line and went on power at a reasonable speed through the turns. He was almost always on the inside line even though the buggy was going slower it shortened the track and kept him on the fast line.

I'm new to buggy racing too and I did several things to help improve my technique. First, I slowed down! I was out there trying to go 1,000mph around the track and it obviously wasn't effective. When I slowed down and concentrated on consistently driving the line I was on my wheels a lot more and my laps times dropped significantly. Second, I sat and watched the best drivers at the track. I watched where they were on the gas, where they braked, the line they took, how they took jumps and exactly how they drove the track. Third, I walked the track and observed the line between turns, the line over jumps, where I wanted to brake, where I wanted to enter and exit turns. Finally, I practiced a lot and didn't mind being slow at first. When you feel confident you can drive the right line over and over again then you can add speed. My first race ever was last weekend. I entered the sportsman buggy and qualified 6th after missing the 3rd heat due to engine failure. I finished the A-main 3rd with a blown right rear shock from the start. The only reason I hung in for 3rd was driving slowly and on the line. Enjoy....it's so fun to hit the line pefectly and get faster without even trying!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

keep it on all fours.. its hard to learn when you are on your lid!!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the hints.

Both methods can be fast, but going hard into corners is more risky. The fastest drivers I race with break early and roll through the inside line.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

A wise old man, once told me.
"you must be slow and accurate, before you can be fast and accurate"
Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the hints.

I have a tendency to throw my car into the corners and then accelerate out of corners. It works for me I guess, but I've seen both work as a few others have said. I cut my teeth on 2WD Electric so I've gotten used to sliding the rear end around corners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.