Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Foam Tire (Gecko Tires)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

well, the guys at Gecko are pretty cool. They actually listen to feed back, take an interest in even club races and try to promote the hobby.

I havn't had a chance to test the new tires out yet, but I think they have a lot of potential. One of the most interesting things to me is the flexability they have in creating different compounds, rubber content, etc. pretty cool stuff.

The foam does seem to wear slower and it responds very well to having a layer skimed off on the truer.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

for jaco's d.pink and d. pink orange, what is it's counterpart for gecko?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Gecko tyre comparison

If using the Gecko Electric Foam tyres and would like an equivalent to Double pink then use either 32 or 35 hardness Gecko tyres. If you need an equivalent to Double pink/Orange then use either a 35 or 37.
To start I would go 32 in place of Double Pink and 35 in place of Double pink/orange.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds good. I might have to pick up a set or two down the road.

but, can someone please fix the spelling on that page? it looks like it was written by an eight year old.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey, does anybody know where i can buy gecko tires?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
Hey, does anybody know where i can buy gecko tires?
i have 10 new sets left over pm if u want them
Old 03-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Rookie

You can now purchase the range of Electric Gecko tyres at A Mains Hobbies
Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

How long till we see the 1/12th tires?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Rookie

1/12th Gecko tyres mounted will be available later in the summer.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have been lucky enough to do a little tire testing for Gecko tyres over the last month or so

the grip in these tires are insane!!
I have used the C53 series tyres 35f and 32r on carpet @ 57mm and had great success very min. wear absolutly no chunking
on ave. I was about 3 tenths faster

Last weekend was our first club asphalt race (test and tune mostly)
I used 37f and 35r did not sauce the tires, with in a lap the tires already felt like velcro, and had min. wear
I then tried the competion's tires, did not work with out saucing the tires
and showed more wear then geckos in the same amount of time

I know before any goes off! yes the TC trend has been using Rubber tires on asphalt mostly at major events! but at club level I wouldn't see any problem with using foams More traction and less money why not HUH? makes sense!

if you have not tried a set of Gecko tyres on Carpet or Asphalt I would highly recomend getting a set or two and see what you think!!
you will be impressed

if any one has any questions feel free to PM me
Old 05-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Be sure to update this thread when there are 12th scale tires to use. I'd be interested.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

1/12th Gecko foam rubber circuit tyre (glued & trued) - update

Extensive testing of the Gecko foam rubber on control tyres for all carpet and asphalt race track conditions are now finally underway. We already have our own exciting new 1/12th wheel design that will ensure you get the most from the Gecko rubber. If our early promising feedback continues across all major race conditions then we should have a glued and trued 1/12th Gecko foam rubber tyre available by the end of the summer.

timmay70 this is what was in a newsletter that Richard emailed me
sounds as if they are close to getting a 1/12th tire mounted on wheels
if they are anything like the TC tires, they should hook up great!!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My club races foam tires on asphalt. In the past we have used Jaco Nitro Shoes, but since they changed their rim for that tire, we have been looking for a different foam tire. We tried a set of Gecko's at the last race, and to be honest, I didn't like them nearly as well as the old Jaco's. The grip wasn't quite as good, and they tended to wear differently. Some guys had more problems with chunking. Anyway, they weren't terrible, but I'm still looking for a better foam tire on asphalt. I'm waiting to see if the new xceed foam tires are any good.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

what shore were you using front and rear and also tire Diam.
what was sprayed on the track? sugar water, VHT, soda pop?

are you using nitro foams on electric with 26mm front and 30mm rear?
I have found you will have tons of rear grip and no front grip (push like crazy)

I assuming your set up was good for the condition too
let me know maybe I can help you out
Old 05-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SpidarX
My club races foam tires on asphalt. In the past we have used Jaco Nitro Shoes, but since they changed their rim for that tire, we have been looking for a different foam tire. We tried a set of Gecko's at the last race, and to be honest, I didn't like them nearly as well as the old Jaco's. The grip wasn't quite as good, and they tended to wear differently. Some guys had more problems with chunking. Anyway, they weren't terrible, but I'm still looking for a better foam tire on asphalt. I'm waiting to see if the new xceed foam tires are any good.
Thanks for your feedback, can you confirm if you were using the Gecko Electric foams with your 1/10th electric car and what hardness you were using (F&R) and what was the condition of the track?

The following information may help drivers understand a little more how best to use the Gecko foam rubber tyres.

As far as we are aware all the major foam tyre brands are using the same type of foam rubber sheet from of 1 or 2 sheet rubber sources in the world. The Gecko foam rubber source is unique as is the method of manufacture used (which does not use sheet foam).

Extensive tests have now shown that the Gecko foam rubber is just about unbeatable BTB (against other foam or rubber tyres) on any 'uncoated' race surface whether asphalt, carpet, lino, wood, clay etc.. This is mainly due to the 100% contact patch which is also conformable (as it is a foam rubber!) and that we use our own compound formulations. However this grip can sometimes be only at the same levels of other foam and rubber tyre brands (or maybe even not as high) when other materials come between (or interfere with) the Gecko rubber and track surface. This can be too much rubber on the asphalt, dust, additive drenched carpets etc... In these cases, adjustments to Gecko tyre choice and set-up will be required and then the Gecko tyres can still give the best results.

A good example of the extraordinarily high levels of grip that Gecko tyres show is in oval racing (on carpet, asphalt, clay etc...) where they can hold the tight lines without (or with minimal) sliding as the speed builds up and therefore wear resistance is also very good.

The current Electric Gecko foam rubber compounds have higher chunk & tear resistance than the current Nitro Gecko foam rubber rear tyre compounds.

Although our tyres may not all be perfect, we believe they certainly do add something significantly new to the RC racing world and we are always prepared to listen and improve our range through continuous development programmes.

Aplogies for the long essay, I hope it helps.

For more information about our tyres please go to our 'adamsracing.co.uk'

Last edited by Richie ARL; 05-22-2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: spelling and accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.