Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Old 07-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wow, thank you. I think that is the first time anyone have ever explained a front one-way in words I can actually understand. I figured the PM was a combination of unsprung weight and the $15 replacement cost of an arm that has no give...I (mis)spent my youth trying to make a '68 Mustang handle, so i know too the woes of unsprung weight and high centers of gravity. I ended up with a car that did shave corners pretty well (not to mention front tires!) that had a ride quality of a Mack truck...exactly what i was hoping to avoid here,lol.

Thanks again,
-M
Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok, another nube question for ya...

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53721

seems to have 39 teeth like the diff gear in the '03...anyone know if it fits?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Timmie,

What body do you normally run at TCS?

How was the handling of the ARTA?

TIA,

Jimmy W
Hi Jimmy,

I like the Corvette C5R #50915. It is very stable at high speeds and has a rear spoiler that actually works very well. The spoiler is made of lexan and is very light. The spoiler also comes with spacers that allow you to adjust the pitch of the wing. I have tried other bodies but I just like the way this one feels.

ARTA handled well if you like a lot of steering. It felt like my Protoform R9R body. I think it works nice for technical smaller tracks. I haven't had a chance to see how it works at high speed though. It has a large rear spoiler, but very little angle to it. My biggest gripe with the ARTA is its weight. It is very heavy in the rear because of it having a rear bumper you have to servo tape on, and also because the rear wing is made of plastic.

Here is a pic of my vette in GT1. Its the middle car. Good shot to compare profiles with the NSX that a lot of people like.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-03-gt1vette.jpg  
Old 07-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Timmie
Hi Jimmy,

I like the Corvette C5R #50915. It is very stable at high speeds and has a rear spoiler that actually works very well. The spoiler is made of lexan and is very light. The spoiler also comes with spacers that allow you to adjust the pitch of the wing. I have tried other bodies but I just like the way this one feels.

ARTA handled well if you like a lot of steering. It felt like my Protoform R9R body. I think it works nice for technical smaller tracks. I haven't had a chance to see how it works at high speed though. It has a large rear spoiler, but very little angle to it. My biggest gripe with the ARTA is its weight. It is very heavy in the rear because of it having a rear bumper you have to servo tape on, and also because the rear wing is made of plastic.

Here is a pic of my vette in GT1. Its the middle car. Good shot to compare profiles with the NSX that a lot of people like.
The NSX was the RCGT choice out here. Now some of the fast guys have been running the HPI Toyota MR-S. When I was running for the "K" team I was using their Vauxhall Astra BTCC body (Think Chevy Cobalt) and it handled very well. Now that I'm with Tamiya i wanted to be brand loyal so I'm running the R35 Calsonic Super GT body and I love it but would like more "aero" steering.

Jimmy
Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ChattyMatty
Wow, thank you. I think that is the first time anyone have ever explained a front one-way in words I can actually understand. I figured the PM was a combination of unsprung weight and the $15 replacement cost of an arm that has no give...I (mis)spent my youth trying to make a '68 Mustang handle, so i know too the woes of unsprung weight and high centers of gravity. I ended up with a car that did shave corners pretty well (not to mention front tires!) that had a ride quality of a Mack truck...exactly what i was hoping to avoid here,lol.

Thanks again,
-M
You are very welcome, I am glad I explained it well enough. Heck, I was getting confused when I was explaining it....I had to count fingers at one point! LOL!

Hmmm bet you wished you still had that 68 They don't make them like that anymore.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

R1wurks Pro dual cooling fan kit is now in stock. $35

This is the same fan kit used by Lee Passehl,2009 TCS Regionals GT2 winner @ the tamiya track in Aliso Viejo,CA.

the complete kit comes with all the hardware necessary to install.

1) R1wurks Pro dual fan mount (only 5grams)
2) 2 25x25x10 high power fans rated at 2.8cfm each @ 5volts,Pre-wired "y" harness(plug & play)
3) 5pcs m3x14mm socket head cap screws

you can also order thru [email protected]

dealer inquirys please email [email protected]

Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ChattyMatty
ok, another nube question for ya...

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53721

seems to have 39 teeth like the diff gear in the '03...anyone know if it fits?
I'm not sure of it fitting, evo4 had a different FDR than evo5/TB03, but I think that was due to a different tooth count on the pinion gear. But even if it does fit, I wouldn't run a aluminum ring/crown gear in the car. There isn't really a need to. It will just eat up the pinion gear. The stock stuff is really strong. If there is a weakness I see on the TB03 drivetrain wise, I would suggest getting the aluminum drivecups for the driveshaft. Tamiya 54053 will cover the rear of the car and it also comes with a lightweight aluminum what they call a "propshaft" to replace the steel one used in the TB03. Then use Tamiya 3454578 for the front. Or if you wanted to, you could just use 2X 3454578 and keep the stock steel propshaft. If you do this upgrade you will need 2 more items. 9805823 is a rollpin you need to lock the cups to the propshafts, and then you need 2X 9808069 7mm O-rings that will act as retainers to hold the rollpins from coming out of the propshaft.

At my last race for whatever reason I needed to take my rear drivecup off...I can't remember why, and I broke the plastic retainer clip. So I went ahead and put the aluminum cups on, but didn't have any orings so I just used heat shrink tubing
Old 07-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Adept

Well, I got my steering upgrades and installed them tonight: carbon link, steering set, and high torque servo saver. It all worked like a charm and the steering is very solid now. No more drunken sailor in a straight. Definitely money well spent.

I just can't believe that Tamiya would ship steering like that in what is otherwise an awesome kit. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my TB03, but that's probably in part to fully expecting to have this problem when I bought it. I can see the argument for trying to sell hop ups, but as sloppy as the stock steering is, you'd think it'd be better business to fix the kit.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
The NSX was the RCGT choice out here. Now some of the fast guys have been running the HPI Toyota MR-S. When I was running for the "K" team I was using their Vauxhall Astra BTCC body (Think Chevy Cobalt) and it handled very well. Now that I'm with Tamiya i wanted to be brand loyal so I'm running the R35 Calsonic Super GT body and I love it but would like more "aero" steering.

Jimmy
Hmmm well Tamiya did have a really nice Toyota MR2 body # 50959 but it appears to have been discontinued. You probably can still find one though somewhere if you wanted to try one out and still be 100% Tamiya.

FYI.....I weighed my ARTA body, painted with a few stickers its 155.8 grams. Corvette C5R was 135.6. I know the NSX handles well and you can get a lightweight version too. Probably the reasons its so popular. I may have to go this route, because I need to lose a lot of weight. I read the Tamiya nationals rules closer, and GT2 cars can weigh 1400G. Dang! lol If you get the chance next time you race could you weigh or ask the owner how much the NSX body weighs? Thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

My standard Raybrig NSX 2007 one weighs 141g w/ plactic wing.

My LW ebbro 350R weighs 96g w/ op.604B wing. This is after reinforcing the body with some tape and shogoo BUT I lost the rear bumper so it should be more around 110g? The normal version is supposed to be about 159g.

So I am guessing the LW NSX body should come around 100g.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:27 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Timmie
Hey all,

Thought I would share some pictures of my TB03 after coming back from the TCS. I had to redo the cooling fan to be legal, and then I needed to add lightweight screws to get the weight down with the Arta body. Race weight with this body was 1520g. I love the body though, it was a lot of fun for me to paint. I used some color changing paint and glitter But, it is very tail heavy so I doubt I will use this one again. But anyway enjoy!
Hey Timmie

From the photos I notice that you mount the front shocks with the top of the shocks nearer the center of the car. Any particular reason for doing that? The kit's manual says to mount them the other way round (ie with the top of the shocks nearer the outside).

I'll have a carbon-reinforced chassis and a 9T motor coming in from Hong Kong in about 2 weeks or so. Hope they're worth it!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tns
Hey Timmie

From the photos I notice that you mount the front shocks with the top of the shocks nearer the center of the car. Any particular reason for doing that? The kit's manual says to mount them the other way round (ie with the top of the shocks nearer the outside).

I'll have a carbon-reinforced chassis and a 9T motor coming in from Hong Kong in about 2 weeks or so. Hope they're worth it!

I noticed that too? Any handling tips from this Timmie? Conventionally you want the heavier shock body assembly to be sprung weight.

Thanks for all of the weights Timmie! I will be fine tuning my TB to put it on a diet also. The rules for RCGT show 1400g's also. Ready to race I'm at a portly 1535g! (But it's still kicking their butts! Hahaha)

I'm going to the Tamiya track this Saturday. I'll bring bodies and a stop watch.

Jimmy W
Old 07-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R1wurks
R1wurks Pro dual cooling fan kit is now in stock. $35

This is the same fan kit used by Lee Passehl,2009 TCS Regionals GT2 winner @ the tamiya track in Aliso Viejo,CA.

the complete kit comes with all the hardware necessary to install.

1) R1wurks Pro dual fan mount (only 5grams)
2) 2 25x25x10 high power fans rated at 2.8cfm each @ 5volts,Pre-wired "y" harness(plug & play)
3) 5pcs m3x14mm socket head cap screws

you can also order thru [email protected]

dealer inquirys please email [email protected]

How much does the whole system weigh with fans?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Oh btw, my TB-03 came in 2nd at the A main of 17.5 against other $400+ cars. Thanks to timmie for the setup. I made some changes to the car such as a front slipper spool (to protect drive train from crashes) and slight front arm sweep for more turn in. I do notice that the car has slight high speed understeer, but controllable so I guess that works out fine. Geared at 4.25 and motor temps around 140F. Could go lower but I found it to have better corner exit at that gearing.

So far loving the car. It's also refreshing to see bodies other than the cheese wedge ones that desperately needs a population control. This chassis would make an excellent RCGT car too imo.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by redbones
Oh btw, my TB-03 came in 2nd at the A main of 17.5 against other $400+ cars. Thanks to timmie for the setup. I made some changes to the car such as a front slipper spool (to protect drive train from crashes) and slight front arm sweep for more turn in. I do notice that the car has slight high speed understeer, but controllable so I guess that works out fine. Geared at 4.25 and motor temps around 140F. Could go lower but I found it to have better corner exit at that gearing.

So far loving the car. It's also refreshing to see bodies other than the cheese wedge ones that desperately needs a population control. This chassis would make an excellent RCGT car too imo.
Redbones,

It makes an excellent RCGT car!

Yeah you can gear up quite a bit! 3.5 is a good place to start.

Do tell how you built your slipper spool for the TB please.

Jimmy W

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.