Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Should Tamiya Build a High competitive Off road Buggy? >

Should Tamiya Build a High competitive Off road Buggy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Tamiya Build a High competitive Off road Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default Should Tamiya Build a High competitive Off road Buggy?

How are you gentlemen!?

Due to the high success of Tamiya's on road touring car lineup such as the 414, EVO III, and now 415, do you believe it would be a good idea for Tamiya to build a 4WD off road buggy based of their touring cars such as the evo III, or 415? They did it to the xxx-s they did it with MRC, they did it with yokomo, should Tamiya be next? I believe they would do very well if they altered their engineering and fixed up some off road designs to put on their toruing cars such as the 415. Post your thoughts now!
Old 11-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I think it would be cool to see more buggies on the track. AE and losi could use some comp.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

I am sick of seeing AE's and Losi's on the track! i want Yokomo,Tamiya and Kyosho to all make a new competion 2WD buggy now that would be sweet
Old 11-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Well if you get right down to it Tamiya does not really make a competitive TC..Tech makes it for them.. The only company other than Losi and Associated that made a good 2wd racer is Kyosho,And they lost interest in that,The problem I see in the whole off road scene is both the B4 and the BK2 are very very good and I dont think Tamiya,Kyosho or anyone else is going to come up with a buggy thats any better..maybe as good but not any better,Ever notice how much the B4 and BK2 look like each other,It's going to cost some big $$$ for R&D work for the others to reach the level that Losi and Associated are at now,And their is not much of a market their in the first place.It's not that they cant,it's more of a why spend that much money on a small market share.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

it will be interesting, but i doubt it'll happen. Tamiya is quite market driven, and right now the market for off road is not as big. I think they will probably start to put more effort into nitro, now that they have conquered electric TC, TWICE!
Old 11-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by xxxkat
Ever notice how much the B4 and BK2 look like each other
Umm, not really. There are alot of significant differences, the suspension gemotry is very different. The only that that makes them very similar is the tub chassis with the batteries in the center, motor in the back, etc. Well, if they look like each other then all 1/8 buggies, trucks, shaft touring cars, and most belt touring cars look like each other, which is true, but that doesnt stop companies from constantly improving on the design. If Tamiya and Kyosho made buggies, they wouldn't be popular in the US because they would be much more expensive as kits and with parts then AE and Losi cars. Tamiya is just expensive when it comes to their pro kits and Kyosho is expensive in the US because Great Planes the distributer prices everything up alot.

Edit: I do agree with you about the massive R&D work though.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The point I was getting at was even though Losi and Associated have different R&D programs they both have a very similar design.
IE: Both have long A arms,front kick up is very close to the same,both use low ratio gear box's,both use same style tub chassis's.I never said it was the same..just both companys have come to about the same conclusion on what type of buggy/truck works on todays off road tracks.But your right about the "details" shock angles,anti squat,..etc.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tamiya are still in the game to make money, right now having competative racing touring cars makes them money, an off-road program would not make them sell enough kits.

The US off road market is too saturated with AE and Losi products for other manufacturers to get a look in. Kyosho, Tamiya, and Schumacher can, (and have) build competative 2wds - but there is no way they can match the support of AE or Losi in their own backyard, so they simply won't sell kits unless the cars are a substantial advantage over the bk2, b4 etc, and as development of 2wds are reaching a plateau, that's unlikely to happen.

Kyosho off roaders are still VERY popular and competative in their native country - and generally so is Schumacher in England, simply because in their home country their price and aftersales backup is of the same level as AE and Losi in the US.

It would take an enormous commitment on the part of a Japanese/European manufacturer to develop a new off roader and then back it up with some serious aftersales support in the US, plus a change of mindset in the average US racer to race something "non-american" for them to capture even a small market share in the US - something I personally can't ever see happening in off road.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well Tamiya did come out with a awesome 4 wheel drive car but they didn't release it for some reason. It was a version of the TA04 but made to do the off road bit. I saw photos and I cannot remember what it was going to be called. It wasn't the Gravel Hound. Man this is going to make me mad that I cannot remember it now. Oh it was the Neo Shot. Here is a link to what it was going to look like. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=484
I didn't like the shell but that is a easy fix.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

They have it's called the Avante
Old 11-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Look for Kyosho to be a big force in 1/10 electric again. With Pavidis running them, more will follow.

Remember, those companies have much larger operating budgets than AE/Losi - they can really spend a great deal of money to go racing. Racing is good for building brand value, with translates into sales of RTR type products.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by SirSpeedy
Look for Kyosho to be a big force in 1/10 electric again. With Pavidis running them, more will follow.
That's news to me. Where did you hear that? I know Kyosho have both a new tourer and 4wd buggy, but I hadn't heard that Pavidis was running for them in electric?

Tamiya have built some cars that you could race, their Top Force Evo was a good car, and I had a bit of success with one - but in those days Tamiya components became worn out very quickly...something they'd need to fix before tackling off road seriously.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Companies want to build stuff that will work all around the world. The thing is this, Touring cars are heavily run throughout the world. No matter where you go on the planet, you're pretty much guaranteed to have some touring action. Off-Road is more point specific. In the US, there is a lot of on-road and off-road, so companies like AE and LOSI and KYOSHO etc...can get away with it.

In places like Japan, the off-road scene is little to none....trust me! Losi can produce a truck that wont sell out of the states, but a touring car that will sell in the US and around the world.....Tamiya can build a touring car that sells around the world, but an off-roader that doesn't sell in Japan and possibly outside of it. People like what works and sometimes stray from the new stuff. so....it may not get off the ground.

I would love to see Tamiya build a off-roader, but I'm sure their marketing analyzers have processed the idea and decided that it probably wouldn't be the biggest hit.

Look at Yokomo, when's the last time you saw a MR4 BC tearing up your track?.....Last years worlds?....and there were only a couple there too....so.....
Old 11-14-2004, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maybe Tamiya will use the TB Evo 4 chassis as a new 4 wheel drive buggy. The Gravel Hound is close the the TT01 which is close to the TB02 which came from the TB Evo 3 but they call the GH a DT02.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by bender
That's news to me. Where did you hear that? I know Kyosho have both a new tourer and 4wd buggy, but I hadn't heard that Pavidis was running for them in electric?
There was a thread in the Electric Onroad section last week - had a link to some website with the info. RC Zone or something like that. I called a couple of my AE friends and they confirmed. Is this info not widespread knowledge by now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.