Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
EVER WANTED TO DESIGN THE PERFECT INDOOR TRACK/FACILITY? MAYBE YOU CAN >

EVER WANTED TO DESIGN THE PERFECT INDOOR TRACK/FACILITY? MAYBE YOU CAN

EVER WANTED TO DESIGN THE PERFECT INDOOR TRACK/FACILITY? MAYBE YOU CAN

Old 08-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Tech Regular

Check this one out!.........this is where I race at.........One of the finest facilities in the U.S.A.... www.mikeshobbyshop.com
Old 08-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jla8874
What a weird thread. Clearly the dog days of summer are upon us. Breaks up the monotony though.
Yeah I like to create threads that are a bit outside the norm. Plus I actually plan to use some of the notes I am making from these responses. (on an upcoming project )
Old 08-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

sorry for the dbl post

Last edited by Spoook; 08-03-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Ever wanted to design the perfect indoor on road track/facility? Maybe you can. Answer each of the following questions and who knows maybe your wants will become reality.

1) I would rather have,,, A) a typical flat carpet track. or B) a rolling (elevation changes) asphalt track

rolling (elevation changes) asphalt track

2) I would rather have,,, A) permanent curbing. or B) typical boards and flappers.

permanent curbing

3) I would pay more to race if the pit area is air conditioned. True or False

False

4) I like a driver stand to be,,, A) 5ft high B) 7ft high C) 9ft high at the platform.

7ft high

5) I like the driver stand handrail to be,,, A) low and out of the way B) high enough to lean forward on

low and out of the way

6) The best day for me to race on is usually,,, A) Saturday B) Sunday

Saturday & Sunday

7) I feel that big events should have a cap on entries and be limited to three days in length,,, True or False

Depends .... I think that a specific class show be no more than 1 day long. Everyone should know in advance what class races on what day. If the total number of classes is more than three that is fine.

8) I would like to see race promoters/hosts limit the classes the cater to in order to create larger classes,,, True or False
True
Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
oh yah?? yah? we have tamiya. oh wait. its closing. you GUYS SUCK

btw.. you coming down for TCS?
Didn't I go to the LAST ever race at Tamiya last year?

My daughter is getting married in So Cal (Walnut) the Sat of the Tamiya nat's, so I'm going to hit the ROAR offroad nats the weekend before
Might stop by on Sun, hangover permitting
Old 08-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

1) I would rather have,,, A) a typical flat carpet track. or B) a rolling (elevation changes) asphalt track

A

2) I would rather have,,, A) permanent curbing. or B) typical boards and flappers.

B

True for the summer

4) I like a driver stand to be,,, A) 5ft high B) 7ft high C) 9ft high at the platform.

A

5) I like the driver stand handrail to be,,, A) low and out of the way B) high enough to lean forward on

A

A

7) I feel that big events should have a cap on entries and be limited to three days in length,,, True or False

False

8) I would like to see race promoters/hosts limit the classes the cater to in order to create larger classes,,, True or False

True
Old 08-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A if it was a flat asphalt track

B

True

B or C

B -- safety

A

True to the former, False to the latter -- If I am spending well over a grand to go to a big event, I want to be there as long as possible (even if it is just more controlled practice days).

True -- Novice, Stock, Mod, and 1 Specialty Class (USVTA, 200mm GT, etc) If on carpet, choose either Foam or Rubber Tire for TC, but don't run both.

Just my two cents...
Old 08-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Regular

I would rather have,,, (b) a rolling (elevations changes) asphalt track, I would like the longest straight banked as It connects to the big sweeper turn and bank the sweeper also.

I would rather have,,, (b) typical boards and flappers.

I would pay more to race inside out of the heat and cold.

I would like the driver stand to be? As high as necessary to for everyone on the stand to see their car perfectly, so I go for the 9’ driver stand.

I would like the driver hand rail to be? High enough so I could rest my lazy hands on the rail instead of having to stand like a robot while driving the race car.

The best day for racing is? Any day is good for me but I would like to chose for Sunday during the summer during Stock car racing season, and Saturday would be good after that..

I feel that big events should have a cap on entries and be limited in length. I do understand some of the reasons one would like to make these changes on the length of the race but being that I like racing so much, too much racing is not a problem for me, seriously though; it would help to keep the costs down for the individual racer and the sponsor or host of the event. True

I would like to see race promoters/hosts limit the classes they cater to in order to create larger classes True, but I would like to see an entry lvl class that beginning racers can hone their racing skills before they race the more advanced classes. I have seen this approach work and the entry point these classes provide for one that is interested in getting into the sport is good for the sport and the racing industry as a whole.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse the situation.

JoeM
Old 08-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Indoor asphalt - super smooth
Old 08-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

1. a
2. b
3. maybe
4. c
5. a
6. a
7. false
8. true
Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hebiki
oh yah?? yah? we have tamiya. oh wait. its closing. you GUYS SUCK

btw.. you coming down for TCS?
northwest wins!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by porsche928gs
Check this one out!.........this is where I race at.........One of the finest facilities in the U.S.A.... www.mikeshobbyshop.com
the best part is the track cam! every track needs one of those!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
Funny thing I was just talking to my wife about "IF I Had a million dollars, BareNakedLadies was playing in the backround just before we headed out to walk our dog Axle.

And I began to talk about building a indoor, asphalt track.

I would build an indoor asphalt track with some "Green" Twist.

The hobby shop will need to be on a spearate climate control system. The idea is to have the track as passively cooled and heated as possible.

The Asphalt would be recycled: Recliamed asphalt, crushed glass and recycled rubber. About 5% of the total mix would have to be new Asphalt, to ensure good binding.

Under the asphalt could be a radiant tubing, but would be real expensive if the indoor track was to be "unconditioned" If thoughts were made to add heating and cooling the track, the cost would be marginaly higher.

The radiant tubing could be heated through the use of solar collectors. The pumps would be solar powered. The collectors should be oriented for the most winter gain, and least summer gain. This would allow for the track to be warm (80ish) while the interior could be a comfortable 72 since the track is heating the airspace.The track could be also be heated by a backup highefficiency boiler system, instead of natural gas furance air furance.

Passive solar gains to heat the building could also be incorprated by clerestories. A reflector/difuser could project light/heat to the track surface during the winter months eliminating the demands on the radiant heating system. Clerestories would prevent direct sunlight entering the building during the summer months, but will allow ambient light in. Cutting the cost of Lighting during daylight hours.

To cool, I would use a heat chimney to draw in fresh cool air. By having the clerestories window open, and intake vents near the ground level opened also. Or just adding powered or passive vents to the top. Less heat gain will happen if the roof is a "green" roof with grasses ontop or heat reflective glazed sheet metal

Planting trees and shrubs near the building can also prevent heat gains during the summer and provide a cooler intake air for the passive cooling

Just my thoughts if I had a million dollars. Drivers stand height is a function of track size. Bigger, means higher. Make the track flat and smooth. Plan for a hybird layout where is a constant layout but also unpainted sections and movable boards so the track can change, maybe into a OVAL track. Pitti cooling is critical!
Man, does walking th edog always have that effect on you? Sounds really cool though, if you build it, I will come.