Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RCGT....Where is it at now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Billy Bob's Super Awesome Treaded Tire GT!

I'm sorry but can I cast an early vote for this new name for the GT series???

As far as the Solaris, JACO, or Sorex tires, again, they are very much associated with TC. I am sure that anyone running these wheel/tire combo will have the upper hand given the compound used for these tires to last and grip on track surfaces. I mean it is going to open a can of worms in my opinion later on when some people want to go full scale realism versus realism with fake wheels/tires. Do we really want to go down this route? I know I could be speaking prematurely here, but I am sure it is a valid topic.

On the other hand, we could wait and see how the Blast Off tires do before we go on the route of which tire/wheel combo people recommend. I still am not too comfortable about using TC wheels/tires in a class meant for scale realism.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryN

As far as the Solaris, JACO, or Sorex tires, again, they are very much associated with TC. I am sure that anyone running these wheel/tire combo will have the upper hand given the compound used for these tires to last and grip on track surfaces. I mean it is going to open a can of worms in my opinion later on when some people want to go full scale realism versus realism with fake wheels/tires. Do we really want to go down this route? I know I could be speaking prematurely here, but I am sure it is a valid topic.

On the other hand, we could wait and see how the Blast Off tires do before we go on the route of which tire/wheel combo people recommend. I still am not too comfortable about using TC wheels/tires in a class meant for scale realism.
Agreed, I think the wheels are half of what makes RCGT awesome, how badass are these:
Old 06-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Harry,

I agree with your concerns.. But really when we are trying to get new people in the game... and there are no huge performance gains... I wanna make it as EASY as possible... It is a thought, and we wil see what happens with our local stuff..

IMHO what woud best for the class would be to get an HPI Premount for a low cost.. or the Blast off stuff work like the HPI... and maybe if we can get the Blast off unmounted also... to keep the scale guys happy...

Really.. I dunno at this point... I cannot wait to get the Blast Off's to test..

Originally Posted by HarryN

Old 06-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by pejota
Hard to believe (but can) that one piece of equipment is good for two seconds or more a lap. Technology can be both awesome and terrible at the same time.
Why is it terrible?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Agreed, I think the wheels are half of what makes RCGT awesome, how badass are these:
Holy crap!! I love those wheels!! Just get me an Impreza STI body and I will be giggling like a school girl!

Hey Tim, I understand what you're saying, but my only worry is the in-fighting it may cause. Sure some people would not see a huge performance gain, but versus a newcomer that just started in the hobby and doesn't too good a job of pre-gluing the wheels and tires HE wanted with his car, it is going to cause a commotion in my opinion.

I have no qualms with using TC wheels/tires since they are already proven and have MANY compounds available for different temp/track conditions. But that right there is where pre-mounted wheels and tires are going to kick someone's HPI X-patterns' butt when it comes to traction and a cool/war/hot track and still have enough tread to finish a season while the other person is buying another set of tires.

Now, if Sorex, Solaris, JACO, etc make the slicks available (UNMOUNTED) and the manufacturers make the tires for 26mm rims, this would be way too cool!! Heck, if Blast Off can make several rim types plus get in bed with JACO, Sorex, or Solaris to make their slicks, ohh man... wet dreams galore right there.

As far as HPI making their pre-mounted rims cheaper and more cost effective, I'd say we'd sooner have a snowball fight in hell before that happens.

Disclaimer: Nothing against HPI at all. They are a great company and the ones that got me into the hobby in the first place.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Jimmy, if it were only the esc your statement might be true. Now add the price of a chassis, radio, tires,wheels and support gear. Then ask that same person with little to no experience to go out and try to effectively race against guys like you. I know you mentioned "sportsman" but thats the problem....there's no rules to divide the skill levels and 1 very fast class is not great for the majority of racers. As an experienced racer you're the minority. Now if we could decide to actually have a set of rules for Expert and sportsman, which is what most of this thread is about, then open esc's for expert might be a consideration as I don't believe the program will suffer from a minority of expert drivers using high end gear.

I proposed not only to run the series for this year (even before we finished last year) I had set up a rule designation for Sportsman and Expert. Chris Lim may still have those rules.

They were only separated by the ESC. You have turbo turned on you must run Expert. No confusion, no new motors to buy, just one speedo if you don't already have one. It also allows Experts to run other Expert classes with the same ESC as well as Sportsman to run other Sportsman classes as adopted by ROAR. (17.5, 13.5 TC etc)

Can you police it? Yes. But your tech guy needs to know what he's doing.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
I proposed not only to run the series for this year (even before we finished last year) I had set up a rule designation for Sportsman and Expert. Chris Lim may still have those rules.

They were only separated by the ESC. You have turbo turned on you must run Expert. No confusion, no new motors to buy, just one speedo if you don't already have one. It also allows Experts to run other Expert classes with the same ESC as well as Sportsman to run other Sportsman classes as adopted by ROAR. (17.5, 13.5 TC etc)

Did someone call? Lol. I have the rules I think somewhere. just gotta find them.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M-Technic
If the ESCs were all equal in speed, why wouldn't we allow multiple manufacturers?
T.J., sorry if that sounded like different manufacturers wouldn't be allowed. As a "national" rule any manufacturer would be allowed as long as the ESC was a "spec" type unit. Like the Cirtix or Havoc. This is only what I was proposing but it may not be what HPI wants. Naturally, a club or a race promoter might be able to alter things a bit.

I'm kinda curious about something....is the Speed Passion pre mount simply getting some attention based solely on price ?? God I hope somebody puts that much into getting the chassis manufacturers to lower their prices !!
Does anyone have ANY idea whether they will wear any better than the X-patterns ?? I would think we'd be better off pushing for slicks. Stop worrying about this treaded thing and get back to the realism of a scale RACE car.
Sure hope they have big plans for tires AND wheels. Be pretty sad not to be able to choose from a wide variety of wheels.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Racecrafter

Had you given any thought to allowing Sportsman to be 21.5 ?? Do you think 17.5 is to fast for most beginner or intermediate drivers ?? Do you think tire wear would be less of a problem if you slowed things down ??
Old 06-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Dino,

Slowing things down... just to slow them down is not always the answer. We can go round and round on this, but my main intrest in the GT type of racing has to do with the scale,fun kind of racing, and bringing new people into the hobby with a class that they can relate to .

Yes slowing things down usually is a GOOD thing, but at he same time, it needs to be fast enough for people to go "Wow... That seems fun.. and those things sure are quick....". I can assure you that people do not walk into a hobby shop and ask for the slowest car on the shelf.

Also, about the tire, as has been said a few times.... We are going to test it. If it works then we have another option and can save the racers a bunch of cash... If it does not... then.. I guess you know the answer.

We are moving forward with our plans for GT racing, I hope you guys can come check it out. I am kind of bummed you guys do not subscibe to what we are trying to do, as we do not have any cars that fit your rules anymore.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Tim, I sure agree with you regarding the fact that no one goes into a hobby shop looking for the slowest thing on the rack. The sad part is that these are seldom the folks who stay in the hobby. I can only relate to whats happening in the hobby. It's clear that slowing things down has had a good effect. In fact I think it has gone a long way toward bringing the REALISM back into the sport. I'm not advocating that anyone HAS to go slower....I'm simply saying that any nationally accepted set of rules should consider making a 21.5 GT class available. If a group or promoter doesn't want to do it....then don't.
We offer a great VTA program , 21.5 and 17.5 RCGT class(or GT as it may become ) and a can motor F1 class. Don't know why that wouldn't fit in with what you guys are doing. We're also proud to be a Speed Passion dealer and plan to do our best to help market the Cirtix system in both 21.5 and 17.5 form.
As for tires....I might take a second look at the idea of slicks but I'll keep an open mind.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Herein lies the problem with this or any other class...lack of a consistent ruleset at the club level. If we could get some heads put together and come up with something that could work across the board and be used at all different kinds of tracks. I mean that is why VTA works and you can get everyone together for a VTA Nationals like they have had the last few years. I think that some folks ought to put their heads together and work out all the questions about motor, ESC, tires, bodies, and then run a few test events. then if the test events go well, then try to work out expanding it slowly
Old 06-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Herein lies the problem with this or any other class...lack of a consistent ruleset at the club level. If we could get some heads put together and come up with something that could work across the board and be used at all different kinds of tracks. I mean that is why VTA works and you can get everyone together for a VTA Nationals like they have had the last few years. I think that some folks ought to put their heads together and work out all the questions about motor, ESC, tires, bodies, and then run a few test events. then if the test events go well, then try to work out expanding it slowly
Many on this thread agree with you. Personally I don't see this as a big deal. HPI has rights to the RCGT name and thru this program they do some marketing. Given the rules as they are....that makes sense. On the other hand, If a new GT program opens up, it should be done with a broader based rule set that doesn't cater to one manufacturer or another. HPI and others, if allowed , will still sell bodies and possibly even tires if a broader tire rule is made. SP and other electronics companies will benefit and chassis makers will do the same as always. As for class specifics....I think with the addition of the 21.5 as a LEGAL addition to the mix, we could see some of the same benefit that VTA is seeing and it affects nothing in the grand scheme of the class. Offer it or don't....makes no difference. So lets go for it.....Should we adopt the class as simply "GT" ?? And who is going to oversee it ??
Old 06-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
And who is going to oversee it ??
Hmmmmmm. You? Lol
Old 06-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hebiki
Hmmmmmm. You? Lol
You're enjoying this way to much !!!
1. Anybody got a recommendation for a pre-mounted 24 or 26mm SLICK tire on a decent

2. Suggestions for 24 or 26mm UN-mounted slick tire that comes with an insert.

3. Who else makes a wide variety of touring/race type wheels in various offsets ? And are there more choices in 26mm than in 24mm??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.