Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FK'05 failed thrust bearings only

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Axiom has a brass caged thrust bearing that is 3x8 and alot of people are using with very good results. Pic of it at www.axiommotors.com on the homepage.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone know why the washers are different size? (3.2 with 7.8mm and 3.0mm with 8mm diameter)

I know what the manual says but if I use 2x 3.0mm with 8mm diameter will it matter?

Nick
Old 04-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you are doing this to get the attention of Xray then youshould be talking about it on the Xray forum...

IF you have started this thread to let the Canadian distributor know what is going on then you should post on THEIR forum www.canadarc.net

The thrust bearings are a single cage. Apparently when they were ordered the diameter and material were spec'd, but not the cage type. Xray has talked to their supplier about this and is working on a solution. To say that "...they did not deliver on what was promised and they try and conceal it with offering a pre-built dif"...is a bit harsh....if they said carbide thrust balla nd the thrust balls aren't carbide you MIGHT have something to complain about..but to make a statement like that based on a difference of cage material is ridiculous.

I encourage you to contact your distributor if you have a problem with the car. RCAmerica and CanadaRC have both putsystems in place and listen to their customers.

This is a third party forum that DOES have some activity by Xray, CanadaRC and RC America, but I'm sureit is not watched as closely as the direct communication.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

I too fell victim to a failed thrust bearing. Nothing like taking apart your diff and instead of a caged thrust washer, you find a small handful of metal shards and loose thrust balls.

I was able to replace it with a Corally thrust washer but I feel sorry for those that had the problem end their raceday.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Windsorguy99...

I have already talked to Korgae, and I am still waiting for the teamxray forum mod to grant me permission to post on their forums.

Consider this something along the lines of a petition, because so far the reply I have had from XRay is that the bearings are to spec, which I cannot accept.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

The bearings themselves ARE to spec...the race has been failing....

Mario has indicated that they are dealing with the supplier regarding the issue, unfortunately it takes time.

How long have you been waiting on your Teamxray forum application? If you like I can ask them about it.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by Windsorguy99
The bearings themselves ARE to spec...the race has been failing....

Mario has indicated that they are dealing with the supplier regarding the issue, unfortunately it takes time.

How long have you been waiting on your Teamxray forum application? If you like I can ask them about it.

Ask them about mine to ...login name harshguy ...filled it last night
Old 04-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

No problem....pm me here with the name and email adress the activation was to have been sent to and I'll pm the info to the admins on the teamxray forum..
Old 04-25-2005, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Well, we will get an official statement from XRay soon (how soon, I dunno..)... Mario has posted to keep an eye on the XRay news page at www.teamxray.com, for news about what they intend(or not) to do about this issue.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Windsorguy99
No problem....pm me here with the name and email adress the activation was to have been sent to and I'll pm the info to the admins on the teamxray forum..
you gotta pm!!
Old 04-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally posted by MartynD
Well, we will get an official statement from XRay soon (how soon, I dunno..)... Mario has posted to keep an eye on the XRay news page at www.teamxray.com, for news about what they intend(or not) to do about this issue.
From a customer relations standpoint, this complaint was almost as immediate as the car came out ... to say we will get you an answer soon gets a little tired.

Posting on a third party-site such as this one was a very good idea Martyn, offering an area that is not influenced by the manufacturer will allow for XRay owners to post their honest opinions without their posts being edited, and/or deleted (although XRay has not shown signs of this - it could happen). This in-turn could help keep the posts more honest ...

Personally, aside from this hiccup, I love the car - I hated having the re-invest into a new set of axial bearings on a new car, and although I chalked it up to owning a higher performance machine, these parts failed due to poor manufacturing - and should be replaced at no-charge ... kind-of a no-brainer to me.

Xray may want to follow in Corally's steps when dealing with an almost identical problem and charge the replacements back to the manufacturer that sent out the original axial bearings.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default thrust bearings ...

i've been reading some of these posts here and i will say thank you to the one who pointed it out because it gave me the chance to correct the issue before looking like an ass at the track when failure occurs. where i am from most who know me know how good i build diffs and i am also very dissapointed that these diffs came built the way they did, i think people should have to build them themselves. why? because you know how to of course? having to remove that spring clip, goddam man can't you just make it simple? tamiya has always been infamous for their complicated diff assemblies, but anyways, i love the car but certain things should be ... to pay over 350 for a car should include certain things like multi diff, sway bar set, and batt strap.

thanks to all
Old 04-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

after reading this thread and the same on the FK05 thread I had to go in and take a look at my diffs. well surprize the thurst bearings were destroyed. and no evidence of lube anywhere so instead of usinf the xray replacement thrust bearing I took some advice from the 05 thread and used the losi thrust bearing kit. Hell it was only 5 bucks each

all is fixed and better now. but one thing that bothers me is that I read a post from M hudy stating that the diffs were put together by profesionals BUT 1 thing they forgot.......... they didnt give them any lube !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by howard hudson
after reading this thread and the same on the FK05 thread I had to go in and take a look at my diffs. well surprize the thurst bearings were destroyed. and no evidence of lube anywhere so instead of usinf the xray replacement thrust bearing I took some advice from the 05 thread and used the losi thrust bearing kit. Hell it was only 5 bucks each

all is fixed and better now. but one thing that bothers me is that I read a post from M hudy stating that the diffs were put together by profesionals BUT 1 thing they forgot.......... they didnt give them any lube !!!!!!!!!!!!!
...lube and profesionals ...now why are those two words used together making me chuckle?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by HarshGuy
...lube and profesionals ...now why are those two words used together making me chuckle?
yeah no sh#t

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.