Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for tips on taking jumps

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

I have to disagree. I was having trouble getting my nose down on some jumps last weekend, dialed in a little more rear brake and dialed out a hair of front and BAM, all the diffference in the world.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

I saw somewhere but cant recalled where that if we adjust/ change the front and rear shock it able to make or reduce the nose down...........I mean change is make it more horizontal or vertical....Some here please clarify if you know. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mfrosty
I have to disagree. I was having trouble getting my nose down on some jumps last weekend, dialed in a little more rear brake and dialed out a hair of front and BAM, all the diffference in the world.
Frosty, it probably has to do with the pitch your chassis was getting in the upward slope... because as mentionned above, the least wheel inertia changes, the least pitch change... and less front brakes means less inertia changes as you only play with the rear wheels' I'm not saying it didn't work, I'm saying that it isn't the reason why

you didn't answer my question re whether you're the FstCl I remember from back in the days

Paul
Old 05-26-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Frosty, it probably has to do with the pitch your chassis was getting in the upward slope... because as mentionned above, the least wheel inertia changes, the least pitch change... and less front brakes means less inertia changes as you only play with the rear wheels' I'm not saying it didn't work, I'm saying that it isn't the reason why

you didn't answer my question re whether you're the FstCl I remember from back in the days

Paul
Nope not me, I used to race 1/10th scale elec back in the day, but it was here in Maryland

I'll challenge anyone to remove their front center drive shaft and take a few jumps with just the rear of the drivetrain hooked up. I'll bet $ that you'll be able to correct the car more in the air.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tkhoo
I saw somewhere but cant recalled where that if we adjust/ change the front and rear shock it able to make or reduce the nose down...........I mean change is make it more horizontal or vertical....Some here please clarify if you know. Thanks.
Nope you can't, that will only alter the damping reaction (linear-more upright, progressive-more leaning) which affects corner speed and traction. From my experience it much more easier to adjust flight with HD wings as they provide much more consistent downforce.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok
Nope you can't, that will only alter the damping reaction (linear-more upright, progressive-more leaning) which affects corner speed and traction. From my experience it much more easier to adjust flight with HD wings as they provide much more consistent downforce.
+1 on the HD wings. If you're having a problem with your car flying too nose down a HD wing will really help level your car in flight.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

Does anyone can tell a little more when/how we should use steering in the air?

Originally Posted by rregl0612
turning wheels while on the gas can have effects in the air on 4 wd cars.. I have also read some say it can help set up for corners after a jump.. I have not quite mastered this.. so someone else might be able to help more..

I have also seen and used this although it can play hell on servos.. jogging your steering left to right very quickly can help settle the car in the air.. this is more of a left to right leveling.. than anything else.. and although I have seen some pros do it on almost any jump I have only used it on jumps that consistently send me crooked..
Old 05-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

personally I use just enough throttle to clear the jump....big air may look impressive but your car is always going to be faster on the ground.
Line up for your jumps and if you don't think you can make the jump then DON'T even try....roll over it and keep going.It will always be faster to roll over a jump than missing and having to be marshalled
Old 05-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Prophet

i agree with saber 186 and most of the time that works and do try to downslide the jumps but not always, somebody did metion to let off a little as u apposh the lip of the jump that is kind of hard to do cause a lot of times if u are going to hit a big jump u need all the throttle u can get to clear or downslide, now maybe u let of a little apposhing the tip of the jump and than hit the thottle
Old 05-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here's what steering does in the air. My slow reaction time doesn't allow me to do this successfully very often anymore, but it DOES work....

If the car is leaning one direction or the other, turn the front wheels in the direction of the lean. (e.g. if the car is leaning such that the left side is lower than the right, turn the wheels to the left) This will help level out the car. Grabbing a little throttle while doing this seems to help level the car out a little more, but it will also either stop the rotation of the car fore/aft, or it will even bring the nose back up if you grab a lot of throttle.

As far as getting the car to fly properly right as you leave the jump face, experience will be needed. Getting the attitude of the car right is much more difficult on jumps that have a sharp edge from the flat ground to the take off ramp. On those, you definitely have to slow a little before reaching the jump face, then grabbing the throttle as you hit the jump face so that you're still accelerating when the car goes into the air. On jumps that have a nice radius to them and a longer take off ramp, this throttle usage is much less important.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There are many jumping styles, if you pay close attention to the pros.
My personal suggestion is to practice, practice, practice X 100.
Get some hard compound tires (#1, you will learn throttle control, #2 they will last much longer) and run 20% so its less stress/wear on your engine; not to mention most racers cant use the power of a good race engine anyway on only 20%
Its the only way to become competitive racing. You simply cannot practice too much, or race too much, experience truly cannot be taught.

With that note, I SO wish I had my own track to practice on /kicks can
Old 05-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Prophet

wound know theres no pros at my track, there proberty about 2 jumps that are flat enough where u can let of a little and get it to preload, i havnt seen any guys at my track at least do the steering thing but i seen them land and steer into a turn boy thats not easy to do
Old 05-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

There is also ways to adjust attitude in midair by how you hit jumps. If a jump is constantly causing you the nose to go up, you can accelerate harder when running up to the jump then coast the face of the jump, this will cause the friction in the drive train to be used as a slight drag brake so the car can jump level. If you are hitting a jump and it is constantly causeing the front to nose down(rear to try and come over the top of the front end) in mid air, you time it so that you accelerate harder on the face of the jump instead of on the run up to the jump, this will help keep the jump from causing the rear from slapping and making the nose drop in mid air.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Timing and weight transfer is everything... Weight transfer can be manipulated with setup and with T/B & steering while jumping. If you've ever revved your car or truck while sitting on the starter box and wiggled your wheels you'll see the effect. Using the weight transfer to help downside landings and setup for turns in the landings will definitely help yield faster laps times.

Last edited by jpalessi; 05-26-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Just hit the jump at full throttle, keep the throttle wide open through the air and do a back flip then stick the landing! j/k.. It should be a while before you try that trick. Jumps are tough to master. Problem I have on a new track is thinking I have to hit it harder than I do and overshooting the landing. The best way to learn is to practice. Put on a practice body and hit a the track. Hit a jump and try different things. Hit the brakes at different times while in the air and see how it affects the landing. Also try letting off the gas at different spots on the approach to see how the car launches vs not letting off until it launches. It's amazing what you can do with an 1/8 buggy in the air! Just have fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.