Tech Master

Originally posted by goop
yes the os 8 is hotter than the A5 and the A3 is hotter than the 8
yeah sorry guys A5 is the cold, A3 is the hot and A8 is medium
Old 09-16-2003, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

HPC,

If you are running 30% you need to have the head clearance above .018 it is hard to say exactly where your engine is now maybe you got lucky and the clearance was fine, I have seen a few that have not had any issues at all.

O.S. engines have allways been known for loosing compression sooner then the italian counterparts BUT O.S. is also know for haveing some of the smoothest engines on the market. Give this new one some time it will be a great engine. If you are down on compression their are simple and cheap repairs that will get you going with the rest of the pack again. A resized sleeve will last longer than a new one.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

a resized sleeve will last longer than a new on? sure about that?

Its not the sleeve that really wears out anyways .. its the piston.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Yes and it has been proven many times over. The factory fit is not as good as a resize.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

crazy!
Old 09-17-2003, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

wonder if it would be a good idea to squeeze it before firing it up for the first time :P
Old 09-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default what is resizing?

Salutations Earthlings!
just what is this miracle cure "resizing"
what does that do and is it only for os engines?
can it work on other engines as well?
i have a picco bv21 pro and a nova p5 that are loose, can they be resized?
and how do i go about it?
-FP
Old 09-17-2003, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Chorner,

No I would not squeeze the sleeve with a new one. the reason a resized sleeve works so well is because (like you mentioned) the piston wears and basically mates itself perfectly to the sleeve. Now when the piston gets a little out of tolerence (piston goes to top of sleeve scenerio) you loose compression/bottom end/ runability. Now you resize a loose p/s set they are basically mated perfectly allready and the initial breakin (wear) of mating the p/s doesn't happen so the "pinch" stays much longer.

Now basically any .12 and .21 can be resized. The importan factor is that they need to be in good shape. They can be loose but their can not be any scoring or it is pointless. I have done basically all makes and modles of engines. Some types of sleeves turn out better than others but they all can be done. If you need info on where to send and so on you can email me at [email protected] I do most of the engines in my area and they guys around here love it, saves tons of money. You can now realistically run the same engine for 2-3 times as many gallons as you would have in the past . A couple of guys have now gotton 2 seasons on their .21 engines due to resizing.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Tech Adept

Hey King, for the VB-Z anyways .. apparently Greg Degani says to use the the V01 piston in the VB-Z and its rock solid.

If I ever need one done I'll be sure to fire you off an e-mail. Dont have any engines yet that need it :P Always been a little sceptical about resizing though, but it seems everyone thinks its great So I guess I'll try it when the day comes.

Thanks man
Old 09-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Be leary of what Greg says to do. It may work fine I don't know but he is not to motor savy even thought he is the world champ. This is the same guy that can only make a motor last 1 race day and sometimes not even that long.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:42 PM
Tech Adept

lol, well I would have to agree on that; he's not the brightest dude that much I will say ... but I figured since he runs OS's all the time he might know atleast something haha, but from conversing with him and reading his posts, he aint to heavy upstairs if you know what I mean haha
Old 09-18-2003, 07:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

You know, all this talk about how bad the vz-b is is really starting to bug me. Greg will admit that the motor is better than the v01b in many respects. It has a different power band, but it still works really good. I honestly don't know why Greg would even suggest running the v01 piston and sleeve in the vz-b, that just doesn't make any sense. All the really good drivers I have talked too, except Greg, are really happy with the motor. And, getting 3 gallons out of a motor run the way we do doesn't seem too extreme. I have no problems with mine, I broke it in properly, and have had more than 3 gallons through it. It runs 230 consistently, which is not true of the p5's I have seen. The p5 seems to be affected more by the atmosphere changes than my vz-b. The vz-b is also easier to tune, and it is getting fairly good gas mileage, 6-7 minutes on a tank. Now there is one area where the v01b sucked. I like the motor and plan to stick with it.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by gquinlan
You know, all this talk about how bad the vz-b is is really starting to bug me. Greg will admit that the motor is better than the v01b in many respects. It has a different power band, but it still works really good. I honestly don't know why Greg would even suggest running the v01 piston and sleeve in the vz-b, that just doesn't make any sense. All the really good drivers I have talked too, except Greg, are really happy with the motor. And, getting 3 gallons out of a motor run the way we do doesn't seem too extreme. I have no problems with mine, I broke it in properly, and have had more than 3 gallons through it. It runs 230 consistently, which is not true of the p5's I have seen. The p5 seems to be affected more by the atmosphere changes than my vz-b. The vz-b is also easier to tune, and it is getting fairly good gas mileage, 6-7 minutes on a tank. Now there is one area where the v01b sucked. I like the motor and plan to stick with it.
good point

and my os-vzb after 5 dallons and still have a lot of compression so it could be theway they break-in the engine that cause their engine loose the compresion and my vz-b still fast and the torque is really amazing
Old 09-18-2003, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Thats good to know. It is definitly hard to chose an engine based on what the 'pros' run as you know engines and the like are pretty much indisposable items for them. Guys who are seriously competitive wouldn't dare show up at a race with just one engine .. and the same engine they were using at the last big race; of course correct me if I'm wrong, but from my perspective all these guys have a handful of motors.

Now, as for durability on the VZ-B though, from what im hearing from everyone, and not just the pros, is that its a little less than to be expected. Its the guys like me who are competitive, but don't have the cash to take it any further then lets say a 5 hour radius when it comes to racing. And that means, 2 engines per year and a spare part or two of only the most important stuff for your kit. Kind of scares me when I hear some guys getting 3 gallons out of an engine when I have an engine here thats done about 9 and still kicking haha. -Novarossi CX12- Never run an OS engine, and would really like to try it out as everyone seems to agree its the best tuning, most reliable engine.

For now though, I've chosen an RB WS7II. IF anybody says its weak on the bottom, doesn't know how to tune it, as well as the clutch Not only that, you know its good for atleast a solid 6-8 gallons if treated properly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.