Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
1/8 Nitro's & Electrics...Can they race together? >

1/8 Nitro's & Electrics...Can they race together?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Nitro's & Electrics...Can they race together?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The point is that they are 2 totally different cars. I dont care who wins or is faster. Its a nitro class, not electric. Make your own class even if its only 2 of you. Not to mention this is a nitro forum, not an 1/8 scale forum.. Its not the same, its not the same !! Its apples and oranges people. Put them in one of the electric classes if they want to race. It would be like me wanting to run a slayer with the slash class. Its bs and yall know it..
Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adim_X
Most of you guys must not race much or even look at lap times. The electric car doesnt have to win the race to prove its faster. My whole argument is that a less than steller driver can enhance their results because electric offers more breathing room for errors due to the powerplant and tuning.

Get off the keyboard and get to a racetrack.

wah wah wah.

A good driver can drive a nitro or an electric just as fast. No one at our track whines or crys about it and the nitros turn just as fast laps with a driver of similar skill.

Nitro powerband is even better on some tracks. Electric tech is surpassing nitro and it will only continue as the years go by and batteries get cheaper and run longer.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadracer43
The point is that they are 2 totally different cars. I dont care who wins or is faster. Its a nitro class, not electric. Make your own class even if its only 2 of you. Not to mention this is a nitro forum, not an 1/8 scale forum.. Its not the same, its not the same !! Its apples and oranges people. Put them in one of the electric classes if they want to race. It would be like me wanting to run a slayer with the slash class. Its bs and yall know it..
I'm sorry but you are WAY WAY off. Slayer is 4wd, Slash is 2wd. Completely different vehicles.

The conversation at hand is about IDENTICAL vehicles. You can't say that a nitro 8ight is a totally different car than an 8ight-E - it is the same exact car, just powered differently.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
no mixed classes regardless of power - I have yet to see electric that is faster on the track....

You need to get out more then.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Run what ya brung..... and less
Old 07-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spawn_x
I'm sorry but you are WAY WAY off. Slayer is 4wd, Slash is 2wd. Completely different vehicles.

The conversation at hand is about IDENTICAL vehicles. You can't say that a nitro 8ight is a totally different car than an 8ight-E - it is the same exact car, just powered differently.
You are the one way off.. The power plant makes up part of the car. In this case they are nothing alike. Face it !! I come from the electric side of racing and wanted a change so I bought a nitro buggy. Nitro not electric.. There is nothing anyone can say otherwise when it comes to this topic. THEY ARE 2 DIFFERENT CARS FOR 2 DIFFERENT CLASSES.. I would never buy a gt2 and expect to race against a t4. Obviously some would..
Old 07-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Has the question of electric motor limit been proposed yet? Nitro buggies rules require a .21 engine. What if the electric cars used a 1000KV motor or kept battery voltage down to 11.1V or something? Seeing as how the local crowd is getting up to 2600KV and being able to use all the power there's a significant difference betwee the Losi 8ight and Losi 8ight-E. So if the power output was leveled maybe the racing would be closer.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

....of course they can race together
In our track we have about 5 electric 1/8 and they do compete with the nitros in a regular raceday

The electric 1/8 will always be faster than the nitro 1/8 with the same driver
I have a D8 and D8T with pre tuned Extech engines that are fast and it is slower by about <1sec than my 8E and 8Te with 4s 2200kv
I just like to race the nitros againts nitro bec it is an unfair advantage for the electrics bec of the torque it can generate in a second compared to the nitro
I dont even go full throttle with the electrics just 3/4 full

the trick if you are running against nitro is to just follow them conserve your battery until 2 mins left step on it and blow them away, unless your battery cant last 15-20 mins(bec the nitro guys dont want the electrics to win hence 20min mains)

in the silverstate or the jconcepts race the pros were faster by about 1sec than their nitro 1/8s
Old 07-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

KV DOES NOT EQUAL TO POWER

it is all about Voltage you want to use and finding right gearing.

2200kv motor on 4S = 32560rpm
1760kv motor on 5S = 32560rpm

with same gearing cars will be equally fast.

lower KV motors tend to run cooler as they will draw less AMPS but they need higher voltage. higher voltage = heavier battery however since you dont need to draw as many amps you can have lower capacity battery that will be lighter.

The only rule you would need is in case of longer mains with batterychange where you should limit Wh sou cars with different voltage will have similar runtime (4S 5000mah, 5S 4000mah and 6S 3300mah battery for example)
Old 07-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jzemaxx
You need to get out more then.
Dude - as I know alot of factory drivers - alot of them dont like the electric 1/8 either - they just HAVE to run them........ At every track I have been to - and I have been to quite a few around the world, I have yet to see a electic out run a nitro on the track - yes electric are faster, but regardless, not on a track - not to long ago there was talk between some nitro guys and electric guys and the E guys said they would lap the nitro guys hahahahahaha - the E guys (4 of them) didnt even finish the race. 2 of the Ebuggies just cut off in the middle of the track. can you say (FLAMEOUT) HAHAHAHAHAHA and the other 2 just didnt have the battery - until the E craps can finish a 20 min main at the lease - they shoud not mix the classes and until they run a main longer than 10 mins people should not even buy them - $200 for a battery and it over heats in 10 mins - thats BS

Plus - look at the performance - a buggy can only take so much power - with nitro - a good driver pushes their buggy to the max in handling and suspension, they work to keep all four wheels grabbing the ground. I know electric guys have have to constantly replace gearing because they are over powered with no slip

Eletric class / Nitro class - PERIOD
Old 07-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadracer43
You are the one way off.. The power plant makes up part of the car. In this case they are nothing alike. Face it !! I come from the electric side of racing and wanted a change so I bought a nitro buggy. Nitro not electric.. There is nothing anyone can say otherwise when it comes to this topic. THEY ARE 2 DIFFERENT CARS FOR 2 DIFFERENT CLASSES.. I would never buy a gt2 and expect to race against a t4. Obviously some would..
but the cars ARE alike - you are still talking 8ights, or MBX's, or xrays, or RC8s, etc. The cars remain IDENTICAL, only the power plant changes, power plant is just one aspect of the car, strip the powerplant and they are all the same

I think Nitro guys want a seperate class because they can go out and spend 800 dollars on an engine and pipe combo, and some yuppie can blast them away in the straight with a brushless. Someone made a good point a few posts back - if guys with 700 dollar engines can race against RTRs, then that's all the difference right there
Old 07-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Dude - as I know alot of factory drivers - alot of them dont like the electric 1/8 either - they just HAVE to run them........ At every track I have been to - and I have been to quite a few around the world, I have yet to see a electic out run a nitro on the track - yes electric are faster, but regardless, not on a track - not to long ago there was talk between some nitro guys and electric guys and the E guys said they would lap the nitro guys hahahahahaha - the E guys (4 of them) didnt even finish the race. 2 of the Ebuggies just cut off in the middle of the track. can you say (FLAMEOUT) HAHAHAHAHAHA and the other 2 just didnt have the battery - until the E craps can finish a 20 min main at the lease - they shoud not mix the classes and until they run a main longer than 10 mins people should not even buy them - $200 for a battery and it over heats in 10 mins - thats BS

Plus - look at the performance - a buggy can only take so much power - with nitro - a good driver pushes their buggy to the max in handling and suspension, they work to keep all four wheels grabbing the ground. I know electric guys have have to constantly replace gearing because they are over powered with no slip

If someone is spending 200 on a batt. they have no clue what they are doing first of all. Also 20mins....no problem with a well setup brushless system we are going past that. As for lap times.....you need better electric guys running at your tracks then. Also if they are breaking drivetrain parts, they are not setup correctly...simple as that. No worry about flameouts for us or a bad tune....just instant torque and instant response. I have won a few races with my slower electric
Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jzemaxx
...Also 20mins....no problem with a well setup brushless system we are going past that.
20 minutes on a single battery IS a problem unles you run at least 6S and very high capacity battery and high capacty battery is very heavy and affects car handling.

I just switched from 5000mah (15mins) to 3300mah (10mins) to save over 200grams.

I run similar laptimes with nitro and electric as with more power in electric I have to control throttle more even having slipperential in my truck that limits power delivery. It really depends on the track profile.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

And I'm sure you are a favorite among the plethora of pro drivers that you know since you have such a calm and collected personality. Are these posts how you really talk in real life? Why don't you have a beer, think before you post and try talking like you would in a normal conversation in the real world, then more people might take your posts a little more seriously. I just read this entire thread, and I noticed from your very first post that you are a blowhard.

Now listen to what I have to say because if you don't you will be on the receiving end of some very difficult to swallow (for you especially since you are obviously biased) butt thrashings by the hand of an electric driver in the near future.

There is no standard rule that says electric can't be faster than nitro PERIOD, is it all up to the driver. I'm sure you know this since you are such a seasoned veteran of the racing universe. I'm sure you've seen many many examples of drivers driving the same buggy, truggy, what have you with different motors, making different power in different parts of the power band winning and losing. You have to have seen this in your worldy travels right? It's the same concept with electric versus nitro. A nitro vehicle handles differently than an electric, and it takes the driver of said vehicle to make the appropriate driver corrections to pull off consistent laps. Sometimes an electric will pull faster times than a nitro, and just because you haven't ever seen it doesn't mean it hasn't ever happened. I actually recall a losi factory driver coming to the track I frequent and laying a stone cold whipping on the rest of the buggy class in his electric Losi.

I race every other weekend at the club level, and I am no where near as fast as the nitro guys right now. I'm getting better, but I often find myself wishing that I had the torque of a nitro so I could manage the power better. I don't know how many times I have screwed up a line and had to single a jump rather than double it because I just cant get enough traction to get enough speed to clear the jump.

As far as your ill thought out comments concerning battery run time, you are wrong again. I am running 1/8 scale truck with the 2200kv monster mamba and I can easily run a 15 minute main with NO stops for a battery swap. There is a little wonder called parallel. In fact I'm pretty positive I can get 20-22 minutes out of those packs as they aren't even near their cutoff voltage. Guess how much I spent on my two batteries? 80 dollars for BOTH. All it took was a tiny bit of research and faith on my part and I found great success. I think you should probably familiarize yourself with the research aspect since you rambled off some arbitrary 200 dollar figure. Sure some may pay that much, but that's their perogative. It's also the perogative of the club owner as to whether or not nitro and electric run together PERIOD.

Tell you what though, if you're close to alabama, you are welcome to come to cullman and prove to us that no electric has ever beaten a nitro cause I'm willing to bet money you're wrong.

Enjoy the education.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wallot
20 minutes on a single battery IS a problem unles you run at least 6S and very high capacity battery and high capacty battery is very heavy and affects car handling.

I just switched from 5000mah (15mins) to 3300mah (10mins) to save over 200grams.

I run similar laptimes with nitro and electric as with more power in electric I have to control throttle more even having slipperential in my truck that limits power delivery. It really depends on the track profile.

Sure on a single battery, but who said anything about a single battery? I've got 2 3s 5000mah batteries wired in parallel and I'm making the 15 minute mains easily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.