Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TB 05 Pro >

Tamiya TB 05 Pro

Like Tree302Likes

Tamiya TB 05 Pro

Old 05-17-2020, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jgil089
I've seen a few people mention that the TB05 is a 'failed chassis' (mostly in the TC01 thread) which surprised me, so I thought I would ask the users. It looks like a great chassis to me, how do you racers find it? My TA07 is way better than I am and I'm the reason its slow! Is the TB05 a decent clubracer or just a pretty unique chassis that is good for displaying bodies?
I think what they meant by "failed" is because this chassis and the TA-07 were not as popular like the TB-04/03 were and didn't make much sale. But I think both chassis are unique with the "basket" type. I know some guys running both and they are actually very nice racers on the tracks. Tamiya has a lot of serious competitors now offering more upgraded parts as standard with prices at par or sometimes being lesser at cost of a Tamiya kit. Kits from Xpress, Spec R or 3Racing for example. Lots of FRP, aluminum, carbon parts, full ball bearings, and sells at par or cheaper than most Tamiya with stock plastic parts.
rippen, Mitamiya, jgil089 and 1 others like this.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

If anyone would be interested, I’ll be posting a slam loaded Exo tb05 with a ridiculous amount of spares and custom made (Bezerk RC) parts on the for sale forum later today.
speedochang likes this.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Finally Done!

Just finished building my first 4wd touring kit since my RS4 Pro 2 (Over 20 years ago!) A couple reasons why I chose this chassis- #1 a shaft drive touring car (never driven one before) and #2 the unique and funky tub/brace design! I still need to paint the body and setup the whole car but i'm super stoked to get this thing on the track once we can all gather in groups again.

I went with the SSBB dampers and towers, carbon reinforced chassis and suspension parts, exotek front hubs, upgraded driveshaft, and double cardan joint shafts/spool up front. I'll be taking it easy and starting off with 21.5 blinky class. In the meantime i've downloaded VRC pro and have been practicing a ton before I actually get on the track for real!

Something I noticed was that the front of the suspension has way more droop than the rear (The front suspension can move up and down a lot more than the rear when lifting the car off the ground) is that something I need to adjust out with the droop screws?

Cheers,
Stevo

Last edited by speedochang; 05-17-2020 at 03:03 PM. Reason: First sentence is still showing up as bigger font, can't figure out why!
Old 05-17-2020, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by speedochang

Just finished building my first 4wd touring kit since my RS4 Pro 2 (Over 20 years ago!) A couple reasons why I chose this chassis- #1 a shaft drive touring car (never driven one before) and #2 the unique and funky tub/brace design! I still need to paint the body and setup the whole car but i'm super stoked to get this thing on the track once we can all gather in groups again.

I went with the SSBB dampers and towers, carbon reinforced chassis and suspension parts, exotek front hubs, upgraded driveshaft, and double cardan joint shafts/spool up front. I'll be taking it easy and starting off with 21.5 blinky class. In the meantime i've downloaded VRC pro and have been practicing a ton before I actually get on the track for real!

Something I noticed was that the front of the suspension has way more droop than the rear (The front suspension can move up and down a lot more than the rear when lifting the car off the ground) is that something I need to adjust out with the droop screws?

Cheers,
Stevo

Beautiful build and pictures too. I like the added upgrades like the aluminum suspension blocks, cf shock towers, cf chassis brace, aluminum servo mount, and SSBB dampers. Clean installation of electronics too.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:24 PM
Tech Rookie

@Nicadrauspro4 Thank you so much!!! Really appreciate it the comments! Hopefully the driving will be just as clean haha.
Nicadrauspro4 and Mitamiya like this.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

@Nicadrauspro4 Thank you so much!!! Really appreciate it the comments! Hopefully the driving will be just as clean haha.
I'm sure it'll be a sweet runner.
speedochang likes this.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jgil089
I've seen a few people mention that the TB05 is a 'failed chassis' (mostly in the TC01 thread) which surprised me, so I thought I would ask the users. It looks like a great chassis to me, how do you racers find it? My TA07 is way better than I am and I'm the reason its slow! Is the TB05 a decent clubracer or just a pretty unique chassis that is good for displaying bodies?
I think the TB04 / EVO6 (including MS) are the worst of the recent TB models (3/4/5) in terms of design. The concept of the transverse motor is good but its the center gearbox that I dislike the most, the center gears are just floating without proper restraint like eclips, and thats where mosts of the gear stripping issues are. I think the 05/03 drivetrains are on par with each other, with the 05 providing two motor positions.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Sharing the chassis I built from scratch ordering of parts.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rc_square24
Sharing the chassis I built from scratch ordering of parts.

https://youtu.be/q_Ry0XmhQBM
It must have cost you a lot to build from scratch.
Mitamiya, gigaplex and speedochang like this.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4
It must have cost you a lot to build from scratch.
I had some common TRF options and spares lying around so that covered some of the build, I knew I was gonna upgrade if I got the standard pro and theres not much to keep on that car if I had done so and I would wnd up with lots of standard parts with no use... so I built my own version R
Nicadrauspro4 likes this.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

I had some common TRF options and spares lying around so that covered some of the build, I knew I was gonna upgrade if I got the standard pro and theres not much to keep on that car if I had done so and I would wnd up with lots of standard parts with no use... so I built my own version R
I noticed that. Even the plastic parts havee been replaced with carbon-reinforced. Nice build really!
Old 05-18-2020, 08:37 AM
Tech Rookie

rc_square24 Sweet build!!!! I'm really loving all the details. I have a couple questions if you don't mind? Did you countersink the front carbon plate screw holes yourself? Also what springs are you running? And I noticed you are running different suspension arm aluminum pieces than me, are they wider than stock?

Nicadrauspro4 I don't want to know how much I spent on option parts, I think it was easily 2 times the kit price of the car itself haha
Old 05-18-2020, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

I'm also a sucker for upgrades and enjoy the building.

Nicadrauspro4 I don't want to know how much I spent on option parts, I think it was easily 2 times the kit price of the car itself haha
I know what you mean because I have done the same to my FF-03. Which started as a Pro then became an R and became even more upgraded. So basically all parts from the Pro except for the TRF dampers and aluminum turnbuckles have all been replaced. It cost me a lot I know but I'm happy and it's all worth the build.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Nicadrauspro4 Nice work on the FF-03! I feel the same way, definitely worth it in the end when you put the time and effort into building it the way you want. Its about the journey or something like that
Nicadrauspro4 and jgil089 like this.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

rc_square24 Sweet build!!!! I'm really loving all the details. I have a couple questions if you don't mind? Did you countersink the front carbon plate screw holes yourself? Also what springs are you running? And I noticed you are running different suspension arm aluminum pieces than me, are they wider than stock?

​​​​​​I'm using the bumper mount plate from TRF418 which comes countersink. I have red large diameter springs in the photos but have not run it yet. The suspension mounts are from Spice, they are adjustable bushing type that was released before Tamiya made their own. You can check /translate the specs of that set here
speedochang likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.