Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Any current TCs fully dialed out of the box? >

Any current TCs fully dialed out of the box?

Any current TCs fully dialed out of the box?

Old 11-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Tech Adept

Default Any current TCs fully dialed out of the box?

During my brief time in this hobby, I have owned an Associated Team TC4 (started life as an RTR, but got upgraded in all essential areas to be = or > than the Team) and a Losi JRXS.

I have only run on asphalt so far, no carpet experience yet. I tried a number of different setting and modifications, but never got the TC4 to the point where it felt like it turned in well. I don't feel it was just due to my being a newbie as I have read comments here and in magazines suggesting the the tub based TC4 just does not turn in well regardless.

After that, I got the Losi. It turns in really well with the out of the box set up. However, if I accelerate out of a medium sharp or sharper turn before straightening the front wheels, the back end steps out and the car locks itself into a spin that only stops when the car is no longer moving (i.e., steering won't get the car out of its spin). Losi has posted a revised set up that is supposed to cure this problem and improve overall handling. I have not tried it yet as it requires purchasing numerous new parts, some of which are not yet available from Losi (although there are some substitute parts available from some industrious 3rd party fabricators). Eventually, I will go to this set up.

Meanwhile, I am very curious if there are any cars that run really well on asphalt (also running well on carpet would be an extra bonus) using the straight-from-the-factory, right-out-of-the-box set up. If not, a close second would be cars that are fully dialed with only minor and inexpensive tweaks.

As it is, I am having trouble improving my driving skills and avoiding serious crashes. Starting with a car that is fully dialed would be a real help.

I am really enjoying this hobby overall, but I would love to get to the point where I can focus mostly on driving and less on expensive and complicated chassis mods. I think I'd be willing to spend some money to get there.

TIA,
Ira
Old 11-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Tech Regular

HPI Pro 4 Hara Edition, Perfect for asphalt excellent baseline set-up, very competetive and also very strong. It will take a few licks before any breakage as a plus its got all the go fast parts.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Every driver is different.

Chances of you finding a car that is perfect for you out of the box are slim - that is why setup is so important.

As you get more experience, you will improve as a driver, and you will probably start to look for different handling characteristics.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

All I'm saying is that I had a TC3 with an excellent setup for asphalt and I upgraded to a 2004 spec PRO 4 and the car was very dialed out of the box. My TC3 was never that fast cornering or in general with the PRO 4 I was able to set track records remember I used the stock setup not Hara's Moore's or Surikarn's.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Don't count out Losi JRXS, Schumacher MI2EC, Yokomo BD or SD, Tamyia, Xray, Corrally, Hot Bodies/HPI, or even Asoociated. I just pick HPI.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

I would say stick with what you have for now unless you have no local support for the car.

I assume you are racing and not bashing. If this is the case ask Hodgimoto (a.k.a. Todd Hodge) on his thread ( http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...to#post1894865 )

I am sure he will help you sort it out. As sosidge mentioned you will have to start learning how to tune a chassis. Spend your money on the XXX Main setup guide. This is probably the best book available for touring car setups..

Good Luck,

john
Old 11-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Most of the time, a car's stock setup from the box is going to be slow. They want to make the car easy to drive. So the car'S usually push and are sluggish. I've never seen a car (FTT4 the one exception) where the box stock setup is fast. It's just a generic setup to get the car built and on the track. One of the biggest challenges in the hobby and one of the most fun parts IMO, is working on setup and trying to improve the handling of the car.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just bought a Corally RDX and it is the best car out of the box I have ever driven. It comes with all the nessecary upgrades to go fast. I can't tell you how good it is on asphalt but it is awsome on carpet.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If your willing to consider spending money on a new kit, then I would instead consider working on your JRX-S. Since you are running rubber tires on asphalt, try the Josh Numan Reedy Race set up that everyone suggests. I am running a modified version of it on carpet with rubber tires, and it is very easy to drive. It would be a whole lot cheaper to spend the money to set the car up with the Numan setup. All you need are the BK brackets ($10-15 from the guys in the JRX-S thread), springs ($2.50 a pair at most), pistons ($2 for four of them, I think), shock oil, and Losi spool pads (or 200 grit sand paper?) to make a spool. If you don't want to make a spool, just try using a diff. It is easy to set the car up this way, and will save you money, which would be better spend on practice time. Try this, and if you have questions, ask in the JRX-S thread or the Todd Hodge thread. If you don't get answers there, feel free and PM me. I'm no expert, but I'll try to help.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:11 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

To me no car is perfectly dialed from the box. I think a ton of them are really close and only need to standard different springs, oil or possible a spool, one way, or diff depending on what version a kit the company offers.

I think all current top of the line touring cars can be awesome close to box stock. I don't think any car out of the box with all standard box parts (no extra springs or anything) will be dialed.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

The Yokomo BD and HPI Pro4 Hara edition are dialed on asphalt in the stock class. I know people who have changed their setups, and still been faster w/t he stock setup. I'm a spool driver, so I've never tried the Yokomo one-way stock setup, but on the HPI it rocks.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by subman
I just bought a Corally RDX and it is the best car out of the box I have ever driven. It comes with all the nessecary upgrades to go fast. I can't tell you how good it is on asphalt but it is awsome on carpet.
That'll be the 20wt oil kit std makes it sluggish and easy to drive.

Every car should be worked on but a good kit setup helps to get you going on tuning it for your liking.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
The Yokomo BD and HPI Pro4 Hara edition are dialed on asphalt in the stock class. I know people who have changed their setups, and still been faster w/t he stock setup. I'm a spool driver, so I've never tried the Yokomo one-way stock setup, but on the HPI it rocks.
is that why not one of these two cars didnt make the main at the recent roar nationals...stock cars for sure ....not any at the 2005 reedy race either..
Old 11-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Actually if you think about it what is "dialed"? What is perfect for one may be turd soup for someone else. So I think the companies will go as someone else on here said, for middle ground you dial your car for your style. Some companies get closer with their stock setup than others. As far as the Nats or Reedy race that's a whole other ballgame and box stock setups do not apply to any of the cars including the ones that did make the mains.

Rod
Old 11-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bobby J
is that why not one of these two cars didnt make the main at the recent roar nationals...stock cars for sure ....not any at the 2005 reedy race either..
Yup, b/c HPI and Yokomo don't sponsor guys to run in the slowest classes at US events. I wish I could say the same for Xray, Losi, Schumacher, and Corally.

ignorance is bliss

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.