Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By robracing

Nitro vs Electric for our next truck.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro vs Electric for our next truck.

I am new to the RC Forum's. I figured that i would ask this question in the Nitro and Electric section. If there is a better place to move this post, please do Mod's.

I am very new to the RC thing. About a year ago I got a really good deal on a RC package with a few Traxxas trucks. I ended up with a 4x4 brushless Slash that I claimed for myself. As I have been breaking things on that truck I have been upgrading parts.
Then a 2wd Slash that my 9 yo son claimed. After about a month's use he ended up killing the brushed motor and I upgraded his truck to brushless and Lipo. He loves the thing.
In the package I also got a basic Slash. My 11yo daughter claimed that one. She just recently has gotten into RC and joined a RC club at her school. I upgraded her car to Brushless and got her a Lipo and she now has a car that she liked to a car that she absolutely loves

At this point me and my kids are into bashing cars and my wife is feeling really left out. She is wanting something to just bomb around with, but my son is wanting something more than his 2wd Slash. He gets quite jealous when my 4wd Slash can do a lot more than his 2wd. (I have a sand pit that we do a lot of bashing in and he gets jealous of my 4wd.)

Long story short, our family is looking for another truck. We dont race, just bash. Primarily in our yard, sand pit and bashing around at campgrounds while camping.

I am quite curious about Nitro cars. I do love tinkering and am very mechanically inclined so working on a engine does not scare me away at all.
With that being said, what are the benefits from Nitro vs Electric.
Also, seeing that I am about to buy a new car is there any other recommendations besides Traxxas, either Nitro or Brushless? I am only familiar with Traxxas because that is all that my LHS sells
Old 05-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Well one thing to keep in mind that Electric will be easier to get up and running, as well as cleaner (chassis and components). If its a Family hobby Electric power makes it easier for all to have an easy access to get running. Nitro on the other hand require a little more support equipment, but in the end is very rewarding as well, the sound, smells and tinkering makes it so much fun.

Its a hard choice, id recommend going to a local track and watching a Nitro and Brushless race, to see perhaps what looks to be more fun for all, you will be able to see the pits and such as well, to get an idea of support equipment.

In the end you can not go wrong with either.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

In that scenario I would stick with electric, it is so much easier. Nitro is heaps of fun but the noise would attract unwanted attention (people telling you to move on since its so noisy). I don't think theres much in it now as far as performance and runtime, as batteries are pretty affordable so its as easy to swap in a new pack as it is to refuel.

I run electric at home, in parks etc, and only run my nitro buggy at tracks. If I lived in a rural area then I would conisder a nitro basher, but it wouldn't work around my home.

It sounds like traxxas is your only real option too. I have a range of Tamiya, Kyosho and Hot Bodies cars and buggies, all have their strengths and weaknesses. Any race level kit is generally really good these days, I don't know anything about RTR basher cars though.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

The only real benefit to nitro is continuous run time aka pit stops in racing. Stick to electric. It's easier, cleaner and better for bashing due to the instant torque. As far as good bash brands check out Arrma and Losi.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree with IC. If there is an 1/8th scale track anywhere close find out when the next race is and check it out. You'll probably be surprised by just how loud nitro cars are. Where I live I can only drive my nitro buggy at the track due to the noise, so that's something to keep in mind.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks

I'll look for a track. I am not aware of any, but there has to be one around. I do live in a rural area, so noise is of zero concern except when we are at a campground.

One of the biggest reasons I am considering Nitro is because I love tinkering with things.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rolib24
Thanks

I'll look for a track. I am not aware of any, but there has to be one around. I do live in a rural area, so noise is of zero concern except when we are at a campground.

One of the biggest reasons I am considering Nitro is because I love tinkering with things.
nitro could be a good choice for you. I also live in a rural area where I can run my nitro vehicles whenever I want. Nitro is very rewarding once you have your vehicle dialed in as far as tuning the engine, clutch, ect... For me the sound and smell make it more fun than electric. I do like the electric stuff though. To me they are two different things and they both have their place. I would recommend a 1/8 scale truggy because of the better ground clearance over a buggy for running around the yard. Losi has an RTR truggy that is nitro. If you wouldn’t mind building a kit then you would have lots of brands to choose from. In kit form all the major players are good. You just have to decide how much money you want to spend.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Nitro is great, but requires a much greater commitment for tuning, maintenance and trouble shooting. The ratio of wrenching hours to driving hours favors electric RC vehicles.
Micah78 likes this.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by robracing
Nitro is great, but requires a much greater commitment for tuning, maintenance and trouble shooting. The ratio of wrenching hours to driving hours favors electric RC vehicles.
You are spot on! He does say he likes to tinker with things. That’s Nitro in a nutshell. You pretty much have to enjoy starting/tuning your engine and adjusting your throttle/brake servo ect....
Old 05-04-2019, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hate to say it but if you like to tinker and are not racing but a 1.9 crawler/scaler would probably be the best option. Just beware I know probably 50 local guys that have so much $ in there scaler/crawler they could have bought an xj,4 inch lift and a set of 33s and went wheeling for real
Old 05-04-2019, 06:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
hate to say it but if you like to tinker and are not racing but a 1.9 crawler/scaler would probably be the best option. Just beware I know probably 50 local guys that have so much $ in there scaler/crawler they could have bought an xj,4 inch lift and a set of 33s and went wheeling for real
Truer words have not been spoken lol. Honestly think im in for somehwere around $800-1000 and I went for cheap upgrades.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Depends on what type of tinkering you like to do to be honest. I just recently purchased my first nitro(8ight t 4.0) and its a whole different animal from electric. Personally I love it, breaking in the motor has been a learning experience but I am also mechanically inclined and was able to figure it out with the help of info from this forum and youtube etc. Many changes can be made to the slash 4x4 as well to fill that tinkering need. I constantly change my slash back and forth between MT, SCT and buggy depending on how I feel like driving.

The biggest thing I have noticed is the increased maintenance required for the nitro but if you like to tinker that could be right up your alley. Also dealing with the lack of a reverse function takes some getting use too.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Micah78

nitro could be a good choice for you. I also live in a rural area where I can run my nitro vehicles whenever I want. Nitro is very rewarding once you have your vehicle dialed in as far as tuning the engine, clutch, ect... For me the sound and smell make it more fun than electric. I do like the electric stuff though. To me they are two different things and they both have their place. I would recommend a 1/8 scale truggy because of the better ground clearance over a buggy for running around the yard. Losi has an RTR truggy that is nitro. If you wouldn’t mind building a kit then you would have lots of brands to choose from. In kit form all the major players are good. You just have to decide how much money you want to spend.
Like I mentioned, I am new to RC. What kits are out there?

I would much rather build something from a kit than buy something prebuilt.

Originally Posted by cornonthecob
Depends on what type of tinkering you like to do to be honest. I just recently purchased my first nitro(8ight t 4.0) and its a whole different animal from electric. Personally I love it, breaking in the motor has been a learning experience but I am also mechanically inclined and was able to figure it out with the help of info from this forum and youtube etc. Many changes can be made to the slash 4x4 as well to fill that tinkering need. I constantly change my slash back and forth between MT, SCT and buggy depending on how I feel like driving.

The biggest thing I have noticed is the increased maintenance required for the nitro but if you like to tinker that could be right up your alley. Also dealing with the lack of a reverse function takes some getting use too.
Say what? Nitro does not have reverse?

I never thought of that, but it does make sense that it wouldnt.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

Not having reverse isn't a big deal.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

A kit will be much more expensive. $600 for the chassis, $150-200 for the engine, wheels and tires, $100+ for servos, $60-150 for the radio...If you can afford all of that a kit will be much better but if not a RTR won't be bad.