fuel line: how long is too long?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

fuel line: how long is too long?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 12:49 AM
Suspended

Default fuel line: how long is too long?

i have a question regarding fuel line and pressure line. most cars i see has long ass lines. why? to me it looks cheap.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:10 PM
Tech Rookie

I read something about long presure lines equalizing presure or something in the tank. The long fuel line will keep your engine running longer when you flip Someone correct me if im wrong
Old 10-27-2002, 02:03 AM
Tech Addict

If you run a longer pressure line it will equalize the pressure rythms from the exhaust so when u back off the throttle it keeps fuelling the engine up so as you accelerate out of a corner it is all fueled up and gets going very quickly outof a corner opposed to a short pressure line.

A long Fuel line prevents the engine from stalling when flipped, (unless you accelerate when ur flipped over) but in a race you have to be careful that you dont exceed the allowed storage area for your fuel, as the fuel lines, tank, and filters are all counted
Old 10-27-2002, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

keep your lines under nine inches long. Preferably under 6 inches.

if your pressure line is too long, then, while you may be equalizing the pressure pulses sent to the tank, you are also decreasing the pressure quite drastically when your pressure lines get long. If you actually want your pressure line doing something for real, keep it about 6 inches.
Sure, you don't need a pressure line, but, if your going to have a huge wad of fuel tubing as you pressure line, I say just get two 1inch long pieces of fuel tubing and stick big screws in them and stick them on the fuel tank and pipe. This way your car will run forever, but, you HAVE to now how to tune well in order to keep your conrod bushing from commiting suicide .

Your fuel line should be about the same. Too long and your engine may have trouble scavenging for fuel. This makes it difficult to tune the engine.

And that concludes my lecture on fuel tubing lengths.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:41 PM
Suspended

heres my experience, i was running 4 inches pressure line before, when i accelerate my car from idle, it bugs or even shuts down. it also stalls at full throttle. then someone told me to use 8-10 inches, i tried 9 inches and see a big difference on acceleration. my car performs a lot better then ever.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

When this happens to me, I put in a fuel filter, this constricts flow like that extra length of fuel tubing.

You're gonna say that fuel filters do not slow down fuel flow, but certain types do. These are the little reasons why our engines are so hard to tune sometimes.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:04 PM
Suspended

putting a fuel filter in a pressure line? whoa! i know it restricts air flow but i'll just rather buy a longer tube then spending more money on extra fuel filter
Old 10-27-2002, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Talking

I have extra filters from my other cars, plus I could borrow one from my track buddies. i mean we have all sorts of weird stuff ( my friend has 5 fuel tanks and a homemade one) However, I NEVER ( I repeat NEVER) have fuel tubing. I always somehow lose it everywhere.

On a side note, I thought you were talking about the fuel line , but it still aplies to the pressure line, because some guys at my track do this.

I like to keep my fuel lines a short length (longer than 3 inches though) so I don't have worry about leaks b/c long fuel tubling flops all over the place even with clips and zipties. This could land the tubing in bad places. and cause air leaks or tears.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

Just get a cotton reel or something like it to rap it around then tape it down so that it cant move, but yeah i agree it gives more cahnce for air leaks.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Hey IM2lazy do you have MSN?
you sound like you know plenty about R/C nitro's, it'd be helpful for when my nitro stuffs up a bit for some good help.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

sorry, I don't. You mean like AOL messaging?

The reason I know so much weird stuff is because I made them all on my car!

Learning from your mistakes is the way to get better at nitro racing.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:36 PM
Suspended

then whats ur aol screen name?
Old 10-27-2002, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Red face

Now I'm even more sorry, cause I don't remember how to use my brother's, I used it then totally forgot about it. If you want my email, that is the best that I can do. Just using this board is actually the easiest.
Just tell me if you want my email.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:40 PM
Tech Addict

i was meaning hotmail messenger.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

i'm of the opinion that a bulletin board is most effective, b/c many times, several opinions is many times better than one. When I am at the track, I always ask two people about my problems. I also tell people to confirm my opinions when i give advice at the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.